YoloinOhio

Dolphins will suspend and/or fine any player who displays anthem protest

Dang it Yolo I was gonna post this you beat me to it.

VERY interested to see how this goes week 1.

But the president of the Cards can endorse Kavanaugh...got it.

• Like 3

Fines? Maybe. Suspend? That just hurts the team, owner included. But is it allowable? 

1 minute ago, Buddy Hix said:

But the president of the Cards can endorse Kavanaugh...got it.

Yeah the guys writing the checks tell the guys cashing the checks how to act while at work, just like every other job. 

• Like 7
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thanks 3

If you have permission, it's not a protest.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Clemfield2622 said:

Cool. Can't wait to see the entire team do it and shove it up the owners ass.

And this will accomplish what?

Just now, THE SLAMMER said:

And this will accomplish what?

Hopefully it gets the Bills a couple of easy W's.

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

Is it really necessary to play the National Anthem before a game?  They usually don't play it before a concert.  Maybe it's time they put this tradition to bed.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Is it really necessary to play the National Anthem before a game?  They usually don't play it before a concert.  Maybe it's time they put this tradition to bed.

Throw in motherhood and apple pie too.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

It dates back to the fevered patriotism of the WWI era

"google search on "national anthem sporting event history" found this site, (http://www.poppolitics.com/articles/2003-02-28-flagprotest.shtml) which had this info:It is generally accepted that its first appearance during a sporting event was the 1918 World Series. To demonstrate major league patriotism, baseball teams had the players march in formation during pre-game military drills while carrying bats on their shoulders. During the seventh-inning stretch of game one, when the band spontaneously began to play the "Star Spangled Banner," the Cubs and Red Sox players stood at attention facing the centerfield flag pole. The crowd sang along and applauded when the singing ended. "

I don't think 100 yr old tradition could be "sun-setted" by the NFL at the current time in the current climate without huge controversy

• Thanks 2

"Proper anthem conduct" huh?  Sounds similar to "general hygiene and lady body maintenance"

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

Yeah the guys writing the checks tell the guys cashing the checks how to act while at work, just like every other job. 

Yeah, being an NFL player is just like every other job...intelligent comment

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

Of course if the majority of a nfl team refuses to play, the owner will fold real quick.  If you did this at you job, you’re completely replaceable.

for the millionth time, your job isn’t the same as a pro athlete’s.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

"google search on "national anthem sporting event history" found this site, (http://www.poppolitics.com/articles/2003-02-28-flagprotest.shtml) which had this info:It is generally accepted that its first appearance during a sporting event was the 1918 World Series. To demonstrate major league patriotism, baseball teams had the players march in formation during pre-game military drills while carrying bats on their shoulders. During the seventh-inning stretch of game one, when the band spontaneously began to play the "Star Spangled Banner," the Cubs and Red Sox players stood at attention facing the centerfield flag pole. The crowd sang along and applauded when the singing ended. "

I don't think 100 yr old tradition could be "sun-setted" by the NFL at the current time in the current climate without huge controversy

They played the national anthems for both teams during the World Cup. It’s not just a US thing.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Just stop playing it.  Maybe the first game of the year to honor our military and the 9/11 heroes.  Let Trump throw his hissy fit and move on.  It will eventually fade away from our consciousness.  I don't see any other way around this.

• Like 3

I just hope the Patriots* see this and say “hey! What a great idea!” 

Yeah....I didn’t think so either....

4 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Of course if the majority of a nfl team refuses to play, the owner will fold real quick.  If you did this at you job, you’re completely replaceable.

for the millionth time, your job isn’t the same as a pro athlete’s.

Owners have used replacement players before, I’m not sure why they can’t do it again.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Sky Diver said:

Owners have used replacement players before, I’m not sure why they can’t do it again.

Money is the extremely obvious answer. Wake me up when some league this century goes that route. 

• Like 3