Step-by-step, how the Bills knew Josh Allen was right for them

2 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

This is weirdly off topic, but does anyone know if Allen has any Native American heritage? I have always thought that his face shape looked a bit like it... 

I would say no lol he looks like the whitest dude ever lol

• Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Here’s why I said that.  In a thread about Allen, you felt the need to knock Rosen.  I agree on I don’t think Allen is a racist. But:

1) I get that people are excited but so much stuff is fluff pieces.  Which Bills Qb didn’t work hard or try to embrace the city?  I’m sick of fluff and want results.

2). Allen had some real issues in college.  Sub 60% college passers (in the last 10 years, I’m sure someone will bring up Otto Graham’s stats in college as counter) fail at a tremendous rate in the nfl.  Folks make a lot of excuses for his performance.  But a sub 60% passer, sub 2,000 yard passer in the MWC going 7th overall worries me.

3) besides perhaps Dawkins, their offensive evaluations have been terrible.  Fully on board with the defense but this is the problem with an offensive coach.

4) I think we should have taken Rosen.  It bothers me that the Bills seem like they didn’t evaluate him as much as other qbs. I thought Allen was the worst” but you still completely evaluate him.

5) i feel like Rosen “fell” because a) fans/ coaches didn’t think he was totally devoted to football (I get that to an extent) or b) disagrees with his politics or things he said (which is pathetic).  I’m guessing I’m not on the same page with Allen politically but that would have no factor in my view of him as a prospect.

ive been on this board for a long time.  I’ve been called a homer many, many times.  I love this team much more than I should.  I hate feeling like the Bills blew one of the most important picks in franchise history on a flawed qb, which is a pattern for this team.  But as I’ve said many times, I’d rather have the Bills succeed but than be right.  I hate this feeling.

That was all you really needed to say. Everything else you typed is just based on that one sentence.

• Like (+1) 3

What I really liked about this article in particular was how Beane answered the question related to Allen's incompletion percentage. Beane talked about watching every....single....throw, multiple times and tracking exactly what happened. He acknowledge his feet were the biggest culprit but also insinuated that it was also about what happened with the line, the receiver, and tracking where else he could have gone with the ball. Additionally, Beane added what many others have said in that it was a Pro Style Offense with no "gimme" passes or hand-offs with bubble screens, etc. That adds to the weight of considering the incompletion percentage. I also liked how Beane said it went back to pencil and paper and going over the throws extensively, rather than just running the video and making a judgment. Also, how Beane said Daboll hit him hard with questions and Allen answered them all to their satisfaction re-stating how smart Allen is - despite also acknowledging how nervous Josh was in the meeting. Good stuff. 

• Like (+1) 2

Because what we did was, first of all, look at every throw multiple times,” Beane said. “What were his options here? OK, go back, what would Baker Mayfield have done here? What would Sam Darnold have done? What would Mason Rudolph, any quarterback that was in this thing, how would they have handled it, because they’re all playing at different skill sets, they’re all playing in different offenses. He had no gimme throws. There’s no, basically like hand-offs, the bubbles and all that stuff. It was all a traditional pro-style, throwing the ball vertically, and you basically have to do your own stats. How many times did he bail out of there and throw it away, which is an incompletion? How many times did he have to do that vs. this guy and vs. that guy? And you also looked at what’s going on when he’s missing, when he should have made the play, what’s going on?

One thing you you have to say about this staff is that they are extremely detailed, methodical and thorough. It is something that I have been very impressed by. 

It definitely sounds like they went above and beyond doing their due diligence on Allen, and this entire QB class. 

Reading this actually makes me feel much better about the process that led to selecting Josh Allen. I feel very comfortable that they weren’t just wowed by his big arm & his ideal “prototype QB” measurables (as some draft pundits have suggested).

There was a whole lot more to it than that. 

I also like that they didn’t just lazily rely on his listed stats, or any college QB’s for that matter. They looked multiple times at every throw he (and the others) made, using as much information on each throw as they could, and decided for themselves how the numbers stacked up. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

You bring up Rosen all the time because he knocked the education Alabama football players get. 

But it bigger picture, the Allen vs Rosen debate will be a big debate for this team going forward.  And yup, I could be wrong on Allen but I’m guessing a guy from rural California has a different political than a guy who grew up in a diverse north Buffalo neighborhood.

I think that Rosen is overrated and overhyped, pehaps the most overhyped player ever coming out of college.

From the film I have watched he has poor pocket presence, he doesn't throw well on the move, he holds the ball too long, and he tries to extend plays when he should throw the ball away.

Watch the second half comeback against Texas A&M that he was so lauded for. It wasn't so much that he played well; the A&M secondary was awful. If he was playing against a good defensive team. two or three passes would have been intercepted and the game would have had a radically different outcome..

I question his longevity. His style of play coupled with his small frame,  makes him susceptible to injury, not to mention his concussion history.

If I thought that he had the potential to be a great player, I could overlook the fact that he's a loose cannon who lacks a filter, regardless of his stupid and ill-advised comments about the academics at Alabama and Clemson and his remarks about two Clemson players.

Urban areas tend to be liberal and rural areas tend to be conservative, but I think it's a leap to project that on to individuals. Frankly, I don't really care what Allen's political beliefs are. I just want to see him win games. I don't have a political litmus test for the players that I root for and support. 

Edited by Sky Diver
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

I think that Rosen is overrated and overhyped, pehaps the most overhyped player ever coming out of college.

The most overhyped player to ever come out of college went 10th overall? Not Jake Locker who was touted as a #1 overall and went 8th overall? Not Trent Richardson? Not literally any bust that was drafted in the top 5?

Not to mention, we haven't even seen how he plays. It is incredibly difficult to be overhyped if you're actually good.

Do yourself a favor and get over your hate fueled obsession.

2 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

The most overhyped player to ever come out of college went 10th overall? Not Jake Locker who was touted as a #1 overall and went 8th overall? Not Trent Richardson? Not literally any bust that was drafted in the top 5?

Not to mention, we haven't even seen how he plays. It is incredibly difficult to be overhyped if you're actually good.

Do yourself a favor and get over your hate fueled obsession.

I think he’s one of the most overhyped players ever coming out of college because I don’t think he’s that good. The Bills seem to agree. Randolph was apparently on their board and Rosen wasn't.

6 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

I think he’s one of the most overhyped players ever coming out of college because I don’t think he’s that good. The Bills seem to agree. Randolph was apparently on their board and Rosen wasn't.

I happen to think Rosen IS good....and he may very well end up panning out

He has some concerns which is why I understand the bills passing on him.....but the kid IS accurate with the football

1 hour ago, Fadingpain said:

I have a good friend from Birmingham, AL.

He tells me the really smart kids in Alabama get the hell out and go to a real school elsewhere.

The sort of smart kids stick around home and go to Auburn.

The bottom feeders go to University of Alabama.  LOL.

Roll tide!

Barners. Tsk, tsk.

I am obliged to hate Auburn, but the reality is it’s a fine school, as is Alabama.

Edited by Sky Diver

Forget the arm strength, forget the athleticism, and look at what this kid had to go through just to get accepted to get a football scholarship at any school. No silver spoons here as he was a farm boy working on his parent's farm. Hard work is not going to bother this young man.

This kid wasn't always 6'5'', 237 lbs as when he first attempted to get a scholarship he was a 6'3''180lb kid that no school wanted. Allen emailed over 900 schools for a football scholarship and had no takers. Only San Diego State made him an offer to walk on but with no guaranteed playing time so he went to a junior college for his first year and after that year was 6'5 210 lbs. 

After that first year, only Eastern Michigan and Wyoming offered him a scholarship and Michigan withdrew after Allen visited Wyoming. This is a young man who worked very hard to get where he is and lives, breathes, eats, sleeps football. He is already at the Bills camp working out.  

This young man was made to play for the Buffalo Bills with that cannon for an arm along with his playing in the snow and cold at Wyoming.  As Beane stated looking at his performance during the senior bowl really put the final seal on the deal. I wouldn't be surprised to learn it was the Bills who leaked this high school tweets of Allen so he would fall to them. If not for those tweets Allen would be a Brown or Jet.

Personally, after looking at Allen in depth, I don't see how anyone could not fall in love with what he brings. If given the proper time to develop and with a solid offense around him I can see an elite QB in Buffalo that could be taking this team to the playoffs year after year.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

46 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

Barners. Tsk, tsk.

I am obliged to hate Auburn, but the reality is it’s a fine school, as is Alabama.

Blasphemy! Repent!

You must beg forgiveness from his holiness Bear Bryant.

You must say "Roll Tide Roll" 5 times while clutching something hounds tooth.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Big C said:

Interestingly, I do think the Steelers' picks over the last few years have been very unimpressive. Granted, they weren't in any position to take the elite talent of any draft being in the 20s usually, but it seems like the Steelers aren't knocking any picks out of the park lately. The 2017 draft class might be alright, but 2015-2016, yikes. 

Golson was a bust, for sure.  An injury miss - shoulder, Lisfranc.  One of these "looks like Tarzan, fragile like Jane" types, where I'm not 100% sure you can fault the talent e v a l.

Burns, Davis and Hargrave have each played in 32 games, started 25.  Dupree at this point has played in 38 games, started in 24.  These guys aren't stars, true, but they're playing, starting, and contributing on what's been a top-10 or just off it (11th) D and a playoff team for the last 3 years.

I would like us to have unimpressive drafting like the Steelers last few years.

3 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

I have a good friend from Birmingham, AL.

He tells me the really smart kids in Alabama get the hell out and go to a real school elsewhere.

The sort of smart kids stick around home and go to Auburn.

The bottom feeders go to University of Alabama.  LOL.

Roll tide!

...but 'Bama has NO salary cap......why leave??............

2 hours ago, Sky Diver said:

From the film I have watched he has poor pocket presence, he doesn't throw well on the move, he holds the ball too long, and he tries to extend plays when he should throw the ball away.

Watch the second half comeback against Texas A&M that he was so lauded for. It wasn't so much that he played well; the A&M secondary was awful. If he was playing against a good defensive team. two or three passes would have been intercepted and the game would have had a radically different outcome..

I question his longevity. His style of play coupled with his small frame,  makes him susceptible to injury, not to mention his concussion history.

If I thought that he had the potential to be a great player, I could overlook the fact that he's a loose cannon who lacks a filter, regardless of his stupid and ill-advised comments about the academics at Alabama and Clemson and his remarks about two Clemson players.

Urban areas tend to be liberal and rural areas tend to be conservative, but I think it's a leap to project that on to individuals. Frankly, I don't really care what Allen's political beliefs are. I just want to see him win games. I don't have a political litmus test for the players that I root for and support. 

Most overhyped player ever??? Hahahahaha.

dude, just be honest.  You don’t like the things Rosen said about his politics and Alabama.  Just be upfront about it.  I don’t like Allen because I think he has a lot of the traits of a bust.  I want to be wrong though.

51 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Thanks, Yolo!

i know we’ve all seen this, but we’re less than a week away from training camp, so here’s to Hopes & Dreams;

When the draft process began in this draft year he picked Allen to be the first qb taken and go to Cleveland with his mock draft. He was skewered and ridiculed. At the end of the draft process it became apparent that Josh Allen was going to be a highly rated prospect and be an early selection. Mel gets a lot of things wrong, as do all the media pickers, but with Allen he was steadfast and ultimately was proven to be right. 

I'm not predicting that Allen is going to turn out to be a terrific pro because I just don't know. But to Mel's credit he saw something early that most didn't see and he stayed with his conviction. In this particular case he went against the mocking herd and ended up being on the right side. Kudos to him. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Sky Diver said:

You're entitled to your opinion, but even if we restrict "overhyped player" to "overhyped QB", Rosen still has stiff competition for "most overhyped ever"

Jamarcus Russell. 

Ryan Leaf.

Blaine Gabbert, ferpetesake

The list goes on.

Not to mention we have yet to see the guy toss a regular season pass - it's hard to be overhyped if it turns out he can actually, you know, play QB

A little less exaggeration & hyperbole would be a refreshing change.

• Like (+1) 1