EJ Manuel says benching with Bills sent him into depression

12 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I hope you’re right but I was completely underwhelmed watching Bama’s offense.  Hurts has his issues but he regressed under Daboll.  Nothing in Daboll’s past shows an innovative offensive mind.

I will be very happy to be wrong on this.  But rushing out to hire Brian Daboll and targeting Allen, literally the only qb I didn’t want in the first round, seem like The type of moves bad teams make.  Hopefully this is the new K Gun and not the next Losman/ Mularkey.

I hate to say it but teams were able to figure Hurts out. He was really not so much of a passing threat.

The other night I watched  a tape  of the Sugar Bowl (vs. Clemson). Hurts (imo) didn't play well. The defense won that game. In fact, Saban said that LB Anfernee Jennings graded out higher than any defensive player all season, and let's not forget the heroics by Payne. You see at Alabama, shiny superstar qbs win the games far less often than at other schools. One would have to watch them consistently to see just how true this is.

When Saban was asked when he thought about putting Tua in the championship game, he said, BEFORE the Sugar Bowl (the game prior to the title game).

Again, strong rumors indicated that Daboll wanted to go with Tua for several weeks. You really might like the man.

• Thank you (+1) 1

11 hours ago, stuvian said:

He will have to dedicate himself to his craft like Brees and Brady in order to get another chance to start 

Forget starting... I don’t even think he sees the field again in a meaningful game unless there is an extreme injury situation similar to how Joe Webb was out there playing qb last year. 

The downfall of EJM at the professional level was Nix/ala Whaley forcing him upon Marrone Hackett.
Two College Coach's with zero experience in the NFL  much less developing a QB. And Saint Doug has /had no tact whatsoever.

Bringing in Orton told me enough about Marronne and Whaley. I am sure Kyle was no help to developing EJM.
just a horrid situation for the Kid regardless. Made me very sad to watch it play out.
I hated Marroon and pitied little Nate.
Such a miasma of dysfunction at OBD during those day

18 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

I know I should not have done so but I had to laugh when I read this ^^^^

shame on you. : )

excepting the London game. that was brutal. record setting painful. any hope was squashed, and then stomped upon like grapes being made into grappa

till the Peterman debacle anyways

Edited by 3rdand12

I knew there was a problem with EJM when he announced after Rookie Mini-Camp in 2013 that the playbook was easier than at FSU. 

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/florida-state/2013/05/ej-manuel-says-fsu-offense-harder-to-learn-than-buffalo-bills-.html

Either little Nate was too simple or EJ was talking out of his fourth point of contact. Perhaps both, but that sort of statement from a rookie is mind-numbing.  

EJM has been told he's the best since HS and I actually believed it.  When Marrone benched him, it probably didn't make sense to him because he'd never had anyone tell him he wasn't good enough. 

• Like (+1) 2

He was 4-6 his rookie year, with 11 TD's to 9 INT's, and played fairly well for a rookie in many of those games.

Hell, he wasn't really even "bad" in those first 4 games, but that loss to Houston really sealed the deal. Should've won that game and gone to 3-1 on the year, but ultimately punted the game.

Not saying he was the franchise guy, but like usual, Bills coaches & FO were feeling the pressure of the drought more & more each year, and were in "win-now" mode even though we never committed to full rebuilds. Developing QB's was never our forte, so hopefully with Allen we show a little more patience & prudence.

Looking back at EJ's rookie year, it's easy to see Allen playing in a similar way production-wise. This time, I hope we know how to develop him instead of yanking him around & destroying his ability to lead the team.

On 7/17/2018 at 5:15 PM, YoloinOhio said:

He’s looked even worse since he left if that’s possible. Nice guy though. 

Thought he had some good backup spells for Derek Carr? Think he's definitely going to stick around the league for a long time with this kind of attitude.. and again unless I'm wrong I thought he played very well for a backup QB, a very thin position in the league

1 hour ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

Thought he had some good backup spells for Derek Carr? Think he's definitely going to stick around the league for a long time with this kind of attitude.. and again unless I'm wrong I thought he played very well for a backup QB, a very thin position in the league

garapollo, foles, keenum, mckown, even Fitz---they did ok for backups.

EJ ain't anything like those guys even as backup.

9 minutes ago, Buffaloflash said:

Idk,I didn't think it was possible, in a whole game to throw for under 90 yards in the NFL?

that was bad indeed yes i agree....but if you had to choose between the 2 to start on a regular basis....

6 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

garapollo, foles, keenum, mckown, even Fitz---they did ok for backups.

EJ ain't anything like those guys even as backup.

cmon dude name me every other backup in the league lol, don't cherry pick. My point is he's probably better than Brett Hundley and 10 or so other backups.

Also, Keenum and Garopollo are starters (Who knew?!!). I'm saying he has longevity in the league, not that he's going to break out a superbowl run like Nick Foles.

Edited by PetermanThrew5Picks

Just now, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

cmon dude name me every other backup in the league lol, don't cherry pick. My point is he's probably better than Brett Hundley and 10 or so other backups.

Look, it's rare that anyone spends a lot of time contemplating ranking backup QBs--players even their own teams hope to never to see play. 

Last season had more very good backups at Qb than most season prove to have.  So in a real way, the position was not very thin, compared to most years.  Maybe one of the strongest seasons at backup in a while, actually.

5 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Look, it's rare that anyone spends a lot of time contemplating ranking backup QBs--players even their own teams hope to never to see play. 

Last season had more very good backups at Qb than most season prove to have.  So in a real way, the position was not very thin, compared to most years.  Maybe one of the strongest seasons at backup in a while, actually.

I'm making the point he has longevity and you're like "NO HE'S NOT NICK FOLES". Lets at least argue about the same thing pls. Tell me you don't believe he has longevity if you want to argue. I never claimed he was going to make a Nick Foles superbowl run.

The fact that he still is a backup means teams think of him as backup material rather than 3rd sting fringe talent.

Edited by PetermanThrew5Picks

Just now, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

I'm making the point he has longevity and you're like "NO HE'S NOT NICK FOLES". Lets at least argue about the same thing pls. Tell me you don't believe he has longevity if you want to argue. I never claimed he was going to make a Nick Foles superbowl run.

You are talking about longevity when you said that the backup position is thin?? 

Uh,. ok.  Interesting take.  Backup QBs can last a very long time when the starter doesn't miss games.  By your logic, Chase Daniel may be one of the  the best backup QB in NFL history.  EJ has a ways to go to reach that "longevity".