RIP Ray Emery

DC Tom

3 hours ago, DC Tom said:

Drowned in an accident in Hamilton on Lake Ontario.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/sports/former-blackhawks-goaltender-ray-emery-dies-at-35/

One of my favorite moments of the great Senators-Sabers brawl years ago was the absolute glee he showed fighting Andrew Peters...

I was at that game.  Perhaps the best hockey brawl I have ever seen.  The best was watching Lindy climb around the glass trying to get after Bryan Murray.  Watching the fight again, Emery could have really done a number on Biron had he wanted to.  He held back until Peters jumped him.  Ended up winning in OT.  Great game...

Anyway, R.I.P. Ray Emery...very sad.

11 minutes ago, bbb said:

It sounded like he went missing at like 6AM.  I assume they were partying all night and then went for a swim? 

It was a friends boat he was on parked in a yacht club in the Harbour (the yacht club already had planned a memorial that day for 2 members who were killed in a suspicious fire earlier in the week). They didnt say if he had stayed on the boat but he had played in a charity event on Saturday. Dove into the water after 6am and no one saw him surface. Police divers came but apparently it took them a while to get in and find him because of safety concerns with the conditions.

As for the playoff goalie fight, they I voted him to come be a part of Birons WGR Roast last year but he declined because he didnt want the people and city of Buffalo to believe he was a villan and play up on the fight.

20 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

It was a friends boat he was on parked in a yacht club in the Harbour (the yacht club already had planned a memorial that day for 2 members who were killed in a suspicious fire earlier in the week). They didnt say if he had stayed on the boat but he had played in a charity event on Saturday. Dove into the water after 6am and no one saw him surface. Police divers came but apparently it took them a while to get in and find him because of safety concerns with the conditions.

As for the playoff goalie fight, they I voted him to come be a part of Birons WGR Roast last year but he declined because he didnt want the people and city of Buffalo to believe he was a villan and play up on the fight.

Thanks

Can't imagine diving into harbor water at 6:00am ever...  I don't even like going in water during the heat of the day.  I wonder if there was some late night partying involved?  In any event, just very sad and too young. 

18 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

I was at that game.  Perhaps the best hockey brawl I have ever seen.  The best was watching Lindy climb around the glass trying to get after Bryan Murray.  Watching the fight again, Emery could have really done a number on Biron had he wanted to.  He held back until Peters jumped him.  Ended up winning in OT.  Great game...

Anyway, R.I.P. Ray Emery...very sad.

This was actually not that great of a brawl as brawls go, but it was a fantastic, memorable moment in Sabres history nonetheless.

Two great moments from this incident stand out for me as time passes by.

First, I absolutely LOVE how Adam Mair went straight for Jason Spezza after the puck was dropped, like a predator.  He didn't pause to ask how he was doing, he didn't wait to be restrained by a linesman so he could fake not being able to throw a punch.  He didn't dance and he didn't chit chat.  He just dropped his gloves and started punching Jason in the face.  I loved that.  It was like a Great White shark eating some lunch.

Second, after the Emery/Biron fight broke up, Jason Peters went over to start throwing with Emery.  RJ's call at that moment was something I'll never forget.  He said "And now Peters is gonna come over and grab Emery and THIS IS GONNA GET UGLY NOW!" with total excitement, passion, and drama in his voice.  

Actually, it never really did get that ugly b/c Peters never knew how to fight, but it was still a memorable call and one of RJ's best!

This sort of thing is now almost completely out of the game, and it has left a very boring, stale product in its place, at least during the regular season.

How weird that Ray Emery is now dead!  

He was never that great of a goalie, but fancied himself a bit of a fighter and he gave us some memorable moments throughout his career.  RIP.

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, zow2 said:

Can't imagine diving into harbor water at 6:00am ever...  I don't even like going in water during the heat of the day.  I wonder if there was some late night partying involved?  In any event, just very sad and too young. 

He followed his own path

1 hour ago, KD in CA said:

Stop right there....you don't dive into harbor water, period.  Or any water unless you absolutely know for sure how deep it is.

I’m more than a little interested in the fecal count as well. All those boats in the water, and people with questionable standards.  I mean, come on, it’s not as safe as a Chick-fil-A!