NATO, EU and Tariffs

Hey Kerry, if anyone truly believed what you, Obama, and Clinton had to say about foreign affairs had any value, do you honestly think you'd be criticizing President Donald Freaking Trump?

You're part of the reason he's there right now. So turn on a James Taylor CD and shut your piehole..

3 hours ago, joesixpack said:

That guy's been a traitor since the early 1970s. Can safely ignore anything he has to say.

What? After he heroically threw someone else's medals away in protest?!?

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Koko78 said:

No. He's a hero because he admitted he shot a fleeing teenager in the back while collecting a scratch on his finger - which got him his 3rd Purple Heart. 

4 minutes ago, Nanker said:

No. He's a hero because he admitted he shot a fleeing teenager in the back while collecting a scratch on his finger - which got him his 3rd Purple Heart. 

I know. My father always loved how, as an officer, Kerry got purple hearts for scratches, but my dad, who was an enlisted gunner's mate, was denied a purple heart when he got a rocket motor burn after an RPG missed him by a fraction of an inch.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Koko78 said:

That's rather nit picky of you. It's the perception that counts. Just like Obama getting NATO members to pledge to raise their contributions.

3 hours ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Idiocy is all they have left, which is why Tibs is the standard bearer on this page. He's got no arguments left, nothing but weapon-grade idiocy, devoid of fact and logic. 

... IDIOCY IS ALL THEY HAVE LEFT: 

Are you kidding me, Kerry?! After the year you've had actively working to overthrow a legally elected POTUS

Get bent, John.

horseface clearly used too much ketchup on this one.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, 3rdnlng said:

That's rather nit picky of you. It's the perception that counts. Just like Obama getting NATO members to pledge to raise their contributions.

I said heroically!

How much has Britain spent on military intervention?

The book reveals that the £34.7bn total has been dominated by Operation Herrick (Afghanistan since 2001) at £20.6bn and Operation Telic (Iraq 2002-2009), which cost £9.6bn.

https://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/2014/apr/23/how-much-britain-spent-military-intervention

As at 23 July 2015, a total of 454 British forces personnel or MOD civilians have died while serving in Afghanistan since the start of operations in October 2001. Of these, 405 were killed as a result of hostile action.

British fatalities during Operation Telic. Operation Telic was the codename for British operations in Iraq, which lasted from 19 March 2003 to 22 May 2011. During the campaign, 179 British service personnel and at least 3 UK Government civilian staff died. (6 of them female) Many more were wounded.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, ALF said:

How much has Britain spent on military intervention?

The book reveals that the £34.7bn total has been dominated by Operation Herrick (Afghanistan since 2001) at £20.6bn and Operation Telic (Iraq 2002-2009), which cost £9.6bn.

https://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/2014/apr/23/how-much-britain-spent-military-intervention

As at 23 July 2015, a total of 454 British forces personnel or MOD civilians have died while serving in Afghanistan since the start of operations in October 2001. Of these, 405 were killed as a result of hostile action.

British fatalities during Operation Telic. Operation Telic was the codename for British operations in Iraq, which lasted from 19 March 2003 to 22 May 2011. During the campaign, 179 British service personnel and at least 3 UK Government civilian staff died. (6 of them female) Many more were wounded.

Gator, giving a thumbs up over the deaths of British service people. I bet he was rooting against the Thai kid soccer players too.

1 minute ago, 3rdnlng said:

Gator, giving a thumbs up over the deaths of British service people. I bet he was rooting against the Thai kid soccer players too.

I don't take it that way at all. England has been a loyal ally of the US

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, ALF said:

I don't take it that way at all. England has been a loyal ally of the US

Seems like gator got a little excited over the bolded part of your post--you know,  the part that empathized death. You can take the boy out of Benghazi but I guess you can't take Benghazi out of the boy.

22 hours ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Despite being downgraded slightly due to progressive-led charge to lower physical requirements and standards for their army over the past decade, their army is still the best fighting force in Europe. Their Air Force and Navy are almost useless (for the reasons you and others stated) in comparison to their French and British (and Russian) counterparts, but their army is still top of the food chain in the EU from what I understand. 

More (was this article what you were referencing, Dpberr?)

Not the same article but they are writing about the same report.  

In the world of possibilities, if the Russians invaded Europe today, the German Army's performance would match it's World Cup soccer team performance.

Edited by dpberr

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

NATO summit live update (NYT)

President Trump said that the allies at the NATO summit meeting have agreed to a significant increase in military spending.  Macron said they did not.

We shall see.

i have not figured out the actual division of power in the French national government, haven't bothered to read much about it either.

On 7/11/2018 at 10:44 AM, 3rdnlng said:

We pay 75% of NATO's budget to protect Europe et al from mainly Russia. Most other countries pay less than half of the 3.5% of GDP that we pay. Germany, the richest country in Europe pays 1.2% of their GDP into NATO. The EU basically screws us on tariffs. For example, our tariff on a BMW's or Mercedes coming from overseas is a measly 2.5% while the EU's tariff on a Ford built in the USA is 10%. Germany is importing about 12 billion dollars of natural gas from Russia annually. The USA can now export liquified natural gas to Europe.

I look at NATO and the EU in some ways as being different arms of the same body. WTF are we doing by allowing the people that we basically protect from Russia to screw us on tariffs and then put money into Russia's coffers? I think it's well past the time to correct this nonsense and it appears that we have a president in place who not only recognizes that but is willing to use our economic and military might to do something about it.

I think almost everyone actually agrees with Trump on NATO and members paying their fair share.. I know I sure as hell do and have been advocating for that for 10 years. I think Obama sucked in this area, and I was an Obama supporter. To be fair, I think the 3.5% is our total defense spend, not all of it is NATO spend, but I could be wrong.

Where we differ is how to get members to pony up. I do not think it is through a trade war. As to your example above, yes there may be a 10% tariff as you mention, but there is a 25% tariff on pickups coming into this country. There is a reason why the domestics have dominated pickups for so long..and that is where the profit is..certainly no longer in sedans.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/doronlevin/2018/03/27/want-to-sink-detroit-automakers-make-a-trade-deal-that-weakens-tariff-protecting-pickups/

31 minutes ago, dpberr said:

Not the same article but they are writing about the same report.  

In the world of possibilities, if the Russians invaded Europe today, the German Army's performance would match it's World Cup soccer team performance.

What with the grandsons of Colonel Klink and Sergeant Schultz still in charge I'm not too confidant that Germany could hold its ground.

7 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

I think almost everyone actually agrees with Trump on NATO and members paying their fair share.. I know I sure as hell do and have been advocating for that for 10 years. I think Obama sucked in this area, and I was an Obama supporter. To be fair, I think the 3.5% is our total defense spend, not all of it is NATO spend, but I could be wrong.

Where we differ is how to get members to pony up. I do not think it is through a trade war. As to your example above, yes there may be a 10% tariff as you mention, but there is a 25% tariff on pickups coming into this country. There is a reason why the domestics have dominated pickups for so long..and that is where the profit is..certainly no longer in sedans.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/doronlevin/2018/03/27/want-to-sink-detroit-automakers-make-a-trade-deal-that-weakens-tariff-protecting-pickups/

The whole tariff mess is like our income tax laws, FUBARED. I'm for free trade and let the chips fall where they may. Trump's tariff moves (everywhere) have been just stirring the pot to try to get things done.

25 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

The whole tariff mess is like our income tax laws, FUBARED. I'm for free trade and let the chips fall where they may. Trump's tariff moves (everywhere) have been just stirring the pot to try to get things done.

Agreed on the FUBAR!!!!

Also think Trump started with the intention of stirring the pot, my fear is he wants to win the battle so bad he loses the war.

WELL, THIS HARSHES THE NARRATIVE: House Democrat: ‘China declared trade war,’ not Trump.

President Trump isn’t to blame for the outbreak of a trade war with China, a senior House Democrat argued Wednesday.

“We’re now told that this is Trump’s trade war,” Rep. Brad Sherman, D-Calif., said during a Foreign Affairs subcommittee hearing. “No, China declared trade war on the United States, 18 years ago.”

Sherman traced the economic clash back to 2000, when lawmakers formalized China’s privileged economic relationship by voting in favor of “permanent normal trade relations” with the Communist power. That legislation codified what previously had been known as “most-favored nation” status in trade with the U.S. And Sherman, who voted against the bill at the time, warned colleagues not to flip-flop on the policy out of hostility to Trump.

“Before Democrats get carried away with the desire to repudiate our position, remember that 65 percent of Democrats voted ‘no’ on MFN [most favored nation status] for China,” he said. “We should not abandon that position just because some Republicans and the White House have embraced it.”

I dunno, that seems to be the way things are done nowadays.

2 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

Agreed on the FUBAR!!!!

Also think Trump started with the intention of stirring the pot, my fear is he wants to win the battle so bad he loses the war.

He's a negotiator so he never expects to win 100% of the pie. We are in the catbird seat here and need to have patience to let it play out. Remember, the world needs us more than we need the world.

19 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

That's the president of the EU being held up like he's either drunk or infirm. 

You think that's the president of the EU? Ha! That just shows you what a chameleon Hillary is.

• Haha (+1) 3