The Athletic vs. The Buffalo News: Which Side Are YOU On?

One of the most interesting rivalries in Buffalo sports has nothing to do with any event on the football field or ice rink.  It has more to do with the organizations covering Buffalo sports - namely The Buffalo News versus The Athletic.

Matt Warren of Buffalo Rumblings details the entire situation in a must-read article that you can below:

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2018/6/22/17488972/what-really-happened-buffalo-news-sports-2018-tim-graham-jerry-sullivan-bucky-gleason-john-vogl

What the article doesn't state is that since the launch of The Athletic Buffalo, the response has been so good that the editors decided to expand by adding additional writers including Joe Yerdon, Lindsay D'Archangelo (likely recommended by Tim Graham), and John Ramsey (aka Yards Per Pass) 

Basically, it seems to me that The Athletic executed the intended business model of the BN Blitz - they just flat out did it better by offering solid local reporting with familiar names such as Graham, Fairburn, and Vogl, as well as including bloggers like Kris Baker, Yards Per Pass, and Erik "I'll block you if you disagree with me" Turner.  Plus coverage for the Bills and Sabres, additional coverage from other markets available through The Athletic, and potentially expanding into college sports.  

The question is, if you are the Buffalo News how do you respond against a brand new entity in the local market that has already likely eclipsed your subscriptions?  Should the BN try to stand up and fight back or ditch the BN Blitz and take on a new strategy? 

Also, as a fan which side do you support?  Will you subscribe to one service over the other?  Both services?  Or none at all?

Full disclosure - I'm not an Athletic of BN Blitz subscriber and am largely against the idea of paying for premium news sites.  I am thinking about signing up for the 7 day trial to see whether the Athletic is worth it.

• Like (+1) 1

I subscribed to the Athletic and love it.  But one new article per day on the Buffalo pro teams does not make it a threat to the BN. 

I'm waiting for the rubber to hit the road once the Bills and Sabres training camps open and we see how much high end content they produce...

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, plenzmd1 said:

Interesting article looking at the Athletic and The Washington Post and how it correlates with the BN 

http://awfulannouncing.com/athletic/washington-post-reportedly-considering-online-subscriber-only-model-beating-the-athletic-to-the-d-c-punch.html

This is interesting and just like in Buffalo I can see a local media vs The Athletic rivalry brewing.

The only problem is the proposed WaPo strategy above is that it’s contingent on newspapers being able to outdo the coverage that the Athletic provides.  Perhaps, it’s by providing more local coverage?

The other issue is the with a subscription to a The Athletic you not only get the local content, but also the article from other markets as well.  WaPo could also offer local coverage.

I really see newspapers in a tough spot here. It almost makes me think they should ditch digital and focus on their older audience  

I'm already loving The Athletic.  Matt Fairburn is writing (gasp) optimistic stories about the Bills -- heavens to Mergatroid!  And the hockey coverage is top notch.

I also subscribe to the TBN stuff so I'll read both.  So happy I don't have to "avoid" any columns now!

16 minutes ago, eball said:

I'm already loving The Athletic.  Matt Fairburn is writing (gasp) optimistic stories about the Bills -- heavens to Mergatroid!  And the hockey coverage is top notch.

I also subscribe to the TBN stuff so I'll read both.  So happy I don't have to "avoid" any columns now!

Avoiding a column sounds so troublesome. How exactly did you manage it? Not clicking a link, turning the page of the paper with one eye closed?  

1 hour ago, Commonsense said:

Avoiding a column sounds so troublesome. How exactly did you manage it? Not clicking a link, turning the page of the paper with one eye closed?  

It was generally pretty easy to spot Sully's columns from the headline...and if I clicked one by mistake I closed it.

What is this "turning the page" of which you speak?  :lol:

• Haha (+1) 1

I use The Athletic.   The BZ Blitz was a great idea, ultimately the problem wasn't the idea itself,  the problem was using tired content from tired writers.  They should have taken the idea all the way and brought in new writers, there just wasnt anything to get excited about.   I can tell you from using The Athletic over the last month that Fairburn is doing a great job.  Graham's contributions on the other hand, about the same as before.   I am sure he will write one or two really beautiful pieces but its few and far between.

2 hours ago, Commonsense said:

Yep.   That's what I did.   Same way I avoid the obituary and want ad sections...