All-22 analysis of Dion Dawkins

All-22 analysis: Buffalo Bills left tackle Dion Dawkins

How did Dion Dawkins look in relief of the injured Cordy Glenn

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2018/7/2/17512204/all-22-analysis-buffalo-bills-left-tackle-dion-dawkins-cordy-glenn-richie-incognito-nfl-2017

Dawkins received a good deal of praise manning the left side. Possibly the highest praise came when the Bills traded Cordy Glenn to the Cincinnati Bengals, indicating they felt they were comfortable at the position without him. Now that Dawkins seems to be the lock on the left, what are we looking at for the 2018 season?

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Pretty solid analysis. It seemed like there wasn't much concern whenever they needed Dawkins to step in. He's as advertised so far, strong in the run game, very good once he gets locked on, struggles with speed and finesse, which are things a lot of OL struggle with (see: Mills, Jordan). Kid definitely seems to have his head on straight and appears to be a "process" player.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

All-22 analysis: Buffalo Bills left tackle Dion Dawkins

How did Dion Dawkins look in relief of the injured Cordy Glenn

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2018/7/2/17512204/all-22-analysis-buffalo-bills-left-tackle-dion-dawkins-cordy-glenn-richie-incognito-nfl-2017

Nice find.  I'm sure the Bills noticed the difficulty Dawkins had with that stutter step from Melvin Ingram (#5) and had him work on that.  Buffalo has some athletic DEs (Jerry Hughes) who can challenge him with that move in practice.  Dawkins is a hard worker and a quick study as an offensive tackle.  He says he's much stronger now too, after an offseason of strength and conditioning work.

Dawkins surprised me quite a bit.  I posted last training camp that he was a disappointment due to the fact he could not beat out Mills.  Maybe Mills is a serviceable RT that just gets exposed from time to time.  Maybe Dawkins is just a better LT.  Regardless he played well enough to be the least of the OL concerns heading into 2018.

6 hours ago, Dadonkadonk said:

Dawkins surprised me quite a bit.  I posted last training camp that he was a disappointment due to the fact he could not beat out Mills.  Maybe Mills is a serviceable RT that just gets exposed from time to time.  Maybe Dawkins is just a better LT.  Regardless he played well enough to be the least of the OL concerns heading into 2018.

Yep, he is just a natural left sider.  Never looked comfortable to me at all on the right.  His footwork out of his stance when on the right side was a mess, feet crossing, off balance, over balancing.... it was all off. I think he could have straightened it out but it needed intensive work exclusively on the right side and he just didn't get that because he spent so much of the last OTAs, mini-camp, camp, pre-season etc filling in for Cordy at left tackle. I think the Bills probably drafted him thinking he started on the right and transitioned in his 2nd or 3rd year to the left side. Cordy's injuries forced them into an accelerated timetable.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Dawkins is basically the only offensive move the new tegime has made that I like.  

I think we're going to be happy with the contribution Chris Ivory makes. But, I can't believe the used parts they're building this O-line with, and the utter lack of attention to WR.

Edited by Rocky Landing
  • Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Rocky Landing said:

I think we're going to be happy with the contribution Chris Ivory makes. But, I can't believe the used parts they're building this O-line with, and the utter lack of attention to WR.

I agree but I think we will see additions after Preseason final cuts. We need to add WR and OL.

5 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Dawkins is basically the only offensive move the new tegime has made that I like.  

While I agree that the team has neglected the offense and wide receiver position, I quite like Kerley and am hopeful that he will produce for us. 

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

If Dawkins was good as a rookie, why do people think Juan Castillo sucks?

And if he sucks, why didn't McD fire him?

I believe his prior working relationship with Castillo (he was first one hired) is overriding his common sense.  The blame fell on Rick Dennison.

14 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

I believe his prior working relationship with Castillo (he was first one hired) is overriding his common sense.  The blame fell on Rick Dennison.

..not sure if that name is an enigma or one in need of an enema.....go Jets.........he's yours....

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

5 hours ago, Rocky Landing said:

Just think- if it weren’t for Beane, it is likely the Bills would not have drafted a first round QB...but alas, such is life when the HC is defensive minded- they think they can win with their D.

Edited by JaCrispy

37 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

Just think- if it weren’t for Beane, it is likely the Bills would not have drafted a first round QB...but alas, such is life when the HC is defensive minded- they think they can win with their D.

I don't know why you would make this assumption. He certainly wasn't going to roll with Tyrod, and I don't think anyone thinks that AJ is the future.

1 hour ago, RocCityRoller said:

I am admittedly nervous. I love him on the right side. Iffy on the left.

Why?  He did fine at LT last year.  Keep Dawkins on the left and hope we finally get a decent RT.

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Limeaid said:

The blame fell on Dennison because it was Dennison's fault.  It was his zone blocking scheme that took the line half a season to learn.  Supposedly Castillo is a good coach (Wood or Richie admitted as much) but he wants things done his way, which is why he's better with younger linemen who can be molded.  This year will be interesting to see how Daboll and Castillo work together.

3 minutes ago, RocCityRoller said:

He did fine as a backup, not as a starter.

Cordy Glenn didn't play most of the season, meaning Dawkins started at LT most of the time.  If there was any concern about Dawkins, either Glenn would not have been traded or they would have drafted/traded/FA pickup for a LT.