Do you know how to do CPR?

3 minutes ago, Another Fan said:

I took a class at work that went over all the techniques of it.  Still don’t know in a real life situation how I’d manage

You would have an idea of what to do which is all you can hope for until medical help arrives. 

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

I did when I was a lifeguard 30 years ago.  But I heard the whole 15-2 thing is now out of date.

It keeps changing. 15-2, 30-2, etc. I get trained on it every year. In the end. 30-2 is solid and won’t steer you wrong. But unless your doing it for a family member or something like that, I’m not putting my mouth on any stranger. So chest compressions will work just fine. 

14 minutes ago, mrags said:

It keeps changing. 15-2, 30-2, etc. I get trained on it every year. In the end. 30-2 is solid and won’t steer you wrong. But unless your doing it for a family member or something like that, I’m not putting my mouth on any stranger. So chest compressions will work just fine. 

I've heard that some places don't even teach mouth to mouth anymore.  It's straight chest compressions.   I also read an article recently that Emergency Dogs are being trained to do CPR.  The dog just jumps up and down on the victims chest, mimicking a chest compression.

3 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I've heard that some places don't even teach mouth to mouth anymore.  It's straight chest compressions.   I also read an article recently that Emergency Dogs are being trained to do CPR.  The dog just jumps up and down on the victims chest, mimicking a chest compression.

https://www.menshealth.com/trending-news/a21945199/police-dog-performing-cpr/

9 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Where I’m at, we do the breaths but we have ambu-bags. We also have AEDs where it tells you exactly what to do and when to do it.

I've done it before. For about 2+ hours until medical arrived. It wasn’t fun and anyone can tell you the victim isn’t coming back 2 hours in. 

9 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Yeah, I've heard the same thing about that it's only chest compressions.

Funny story, my uncle was a cardiologist.  I worked in his office for a brief period of time (helping clean up accounts) when he had someone come in to do a class on CPR for his employees.  As they were asking questions, I was the only person in the office able to answer the questions correctly.  I felt as though SOMEONE in a cardiology office probably should have had some idea on how to perform CPR.

29 minutes ago, mrags said:

Would you consider me a stranger?

23 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

That is really, really cool.

16 minutes ago, mrags said:

Where I’m at, we do the breaths but we have ambu-bags. We also have AEDs where it tells you exactly what to do and when to do it.

I've done it before. For about 2+ hours until medical arrived. It wasn’t fun and anyone can tell you the victim isn’t coming back 2 hours in. 

Damn.....why did it take 2 hours for a medic to arrive?

Took a class at work a couple of years ago, and they said the mouth-to-mouth thing is no longer recommended.  It's all about manually keeping that heart pumping blood for as long as possible.

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

That is really, really cool.

Damn.....why did it take 2 hours for a medic to arrive?

Another story for another time. Feed me some beers and I’ll tell you all about it. 

5 minutes ago, mrags said:

Lol. Well played. 

U going to any games this year?

I want to go to the home opener.  I know some Bills fans here in Atlanta, ones that I went to the playoff game in Jax, were talking about going to the Charger game.

I'm not sure.

If it's not the home opener, the closest away game would be Miami which isn't that close.

47 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I want to go to the home opener.  I know some Bills fans here in Atlanta, ones that I went to the playoff game in Jax, were talking about going to the Charger game.

I'm not sure.

If it's not the home opener, the closest away game would be Miami which isn't that close.

I dunno dude..just did a quick check on Southwest  ATL-BWI...roundtrip less than $200, nonstop. 1:30 minutes each way. Gas at $3.00/gal, Miami probably $75 in gas one  way and 9 hours.

Baltimore be your much better option...but sure tickets much more expensive in Baltimore too.

BTW, CPR is recommended two ways now

Trained--30-2 ratio

Untrained--Chest compressions only..even radio ads for this now. Basically saying pump the middle of the chest if you don't know what to do...that is better than nothing!

• Like (+1) 1

we have to take a refresher course every 2 years, and you're all right...it seems to change.  the most recent one had us giving the patients breaths again, but as any instructor will mention...if you don't know what to do, just keep giving chest compressions.  

what i really want to do is give the AED unit a whirl.  not in a real life emergency, but on a drunk friend or something.

Edited by teef
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, teef said:

we have to take a refresher course every 2 years, and you're all right...it seems to change.  the most recent one had us giving the patients breaths again, but as any instructor will mention...if you don't know what to do, just keep giving chest compressions.  

what i really want to do is give the AED unit a whirl.  not in a real life emergency, but on a drunk friend or something.

This. 

Have to take Standard First Aid and CPR for work... Got my Hep A & B shots mandatory...

...Sad part about AED, we have one in our LunchRoom... Won't fire when there is a heartbeat.  Perfect to wake the one's I work with up!! LoL

1 minute ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

This. 

Have to take Standard First Aid and CPR for work... Got my Hep A & B shots mandatory...

...Sad part about AED, we have one in our LunchRoom... Won't fire when there is a heartbeat.  Perfect to wake the one's I work with up!! LoL

they're great as you really can't mess them up.  ours even comes with a razor to take care of an ultra hairy chest.  the only pain about those things are that the battery life is short, (according to the manufacture) and i think we need to buy a new one every 2 years or so.  they're not cheap.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I'm not sure.

Do you hit one of the Bills bars in Atlanta on game days? 

I got some basic training in Red Cross lifeguard training a million years ago. My most recent training is watching people pretend on TV. Not a bad idea to get refreshed....

Yes, have to train every year for my profession.  30-2 is the current compressions-breaths that I was taught. 

Another new guideline for this year is that you no longer are required to check for a pulse.  If the victim is unresponsive and not breathing you can go right into chest compressions rather than waste time looking for a pulse.

We teach our high schoolers how to do the chest compressions so in case their is an emergency, they at least have an idea of what to do or how to help someone else.  They also are taught where the AEDs in the school are.  The quicker the AED is on scene, the better chance for survival.

On 7/2/2018 at 1:04 PM, mrags said:

I am sure that makes interesting dating with you only putting mouth on family members. :devil:

13 minutes ago, Seasons1992 said:

I had no idea AED's were so expensive! Like $1,275 for the base model. I would get one just to have around/in my car for emergencies but I wouldn't spend more than $300.

i think the new battery for the AED is a couple of hundred alone.

10 hours ago, Limeaid said:

I am sure that makes interesting dating with you only putting mouth on family members. :devil:

When you put your lips on a strange mans lips that are dripping with saliva while he turns blue, then you can judge me.