Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Gugny

Favorite Beatles Album

Your Favorite Beatles Album  

93 members have voted

  1. 1. Which Beatles album is your favorite (not necessarily which you think is best) and why?

    • Please Please Me
      0
    • Meet the Beatles
      2
    • Hard Day's Night
      1
    • Beatles For Sale
      1
    • Help!
      3
    • Rubber Soul
      9
    • Revolver
      12
    • Magical Mystery Tour
      3
    • White Album
      15
    • Yellow Submarine
      2
    • Abbey Road
      36
    • Let it Be
      0
    • Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (out of order, but I somehow left it out)
      9


Recommended Posts

I spent last night listening to Revolver, Rubber Soul and Abbey Road in their entireties.  I was in Heaven.  Then I texted a buddy about which of the three he liked the best.  I know there's a lot of music fans on this board, including a lot of Beatles fans.  So I thought, "what the hell," and created a poll.  I hope it generates some fun discussion about whom I believe is the greatest rock and roll band of all time.

 

This isn't necessarily which album you think is the "best," Beatles album.  That's a different discussion (that will last a lifetime).

 

But what's your favorite?  I have a difficult time deciding this.  My vote was Abbey Road.  I was always a McCartney guy (although I love all of their contributions) and this album is heavy McCartney.  But the Lennon and Harrison pieces are just as solid.  Just a great album from beginning to end.

 

My biggest difficulty is deciding between Revolver and Rubber Soul for my personal 2nd place.  I lean to Revolver.

Edited by Gugny

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Norwegian Wood and In My Life are two of my favorite Beatles tunes.  I could play Rubber Soul on repeat.  Maybe not the best, but my favorite.

  • Like (+1) 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Norwegian Wood and In My Life are two of my favorite Beatles tunes.  I could play Rubber Soul on repeat.  Maybe not the best, but my favorite.

 

"Girl," is another great track from that album.  Such an awesome album front to back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I picked Abbey Road too, but several others are just as good.  On a different day I might have voted differently.  I celebrate their entire catalogue.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

White Album.

 

Who else could have gotten away with a double album of great throwaways?

 

The iconic photos, the last dregs of excellent 60s druggie noodling, then they went downhill.....

 

 

Edited by row_33

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tough to choose just one, but I went with Abbey Road. Start to finish, it's solid. The Golden Slumbers medley is brilliant. The whole album flows perfectly.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

What? No "Sgt. Peppers..."

 

Can it be a Sgt era “album” that includes Strawberry Fields Forever/Penny Lane along with George’s It’s All Too Much and Only A Northern Song (well ahead of their time and criminally first heard in the YS soundtrack)

 

 

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, joesixpack said:

Revolver and it’s not close

 

I could name the last album of 6 that I had last listened to

 

as we grew up with the chopped version of albums up to Sgt Pepper, have we finally forgotten the track listings since CDs gave us the UK releases?

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

What? No "Sgt. Peppers..."

 

God Dammit!  I had it on there.  Must have inadvertently deleted it.  ****

 

EDIT:  I added it at the bottom.

1 hour ago, joesixpack said:

Revolver and it’s not close

 

Surely, it must be close.

 

It is such a fantastic album.

Edited by Gugny

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Gugny said:

 

God Dammit!  I had it on there.  Must have inadvertently deleted it.  ****

 

EDIT:  I added it at the bottom.

 

Surely, it must be close.

 

It is such a fantastic album.

Whooo, I am relieved it was a simple slip up!

 

Thought you were making a statement or something.  YOU would never do that! ;)<_<

  • Haha (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Abbey Road for me.  The Medley to end it basically summing up their time as a band, amazing.  Not to mention "Come Together", "Oh Darling", "Here Comes the Sun", and my folks wedding song.

 

On a side note, when I listen to the White Album, if often think to myself "Is this the most underrated album ever, or is it the most overrated album ever?"  Weird, I know, but I can see it going both ways at times and its the only album that has ever made me feel that way. 

Edited by Mark80

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not a Beatles lover, nor am I a hater, I just don't know all of their music.

 

Thankfully the topic is which is my personal favorite, so I chose the one that I heard the most often when I was growing up as a kid, which is whatever my parents played the most or which was played most often at parties we went too.

 

That would be Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band. Although I do know that my parents played Rubber Soul & Abbey Road fairly often too. I just found myself liking Sgt. Pepper's more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

I'm not a Beatles lover, nor am I a hater, I just don't know all of their music.

 

Thankfully the topic is which is my personal favorite, so I chose the one that I heard the most often when I was growing up as a kid, which is whatever my parents played the most or which was played most often at parties we went too.

 

That would be Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band. Although I do know that my parents played Rubber Soul & Abbey Road fairly often too. I just found myself liking Sgt. Pepper's more.

I appreciate the Beatles. Very talented in all aspects of music. The problem for me is that they are all my two brothers played when young. I think I was 12 before I realized there was any other groups out there. I guess I just got overexposed/burnt out on them. 

I did hear a Ringo country tune that I hadn't heard in years I really liked though.

That said, I think I liked "Help" the best. Not sure it could be sentimental because I loved the movie as a kid.

Edited by Dante

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sgt. Peppers.  I saw a show on PSS a few months ago about the album.  It went into the  construction of the songs, The album was a technical and musical masterpiece.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Gugny said:

I spent last night listening to Revolver, Rubber Soul and Abbey Road in their entireties.  I was in Heaven.  Then I texted a buddy about which of the three he liked the best.  I know there's a lot of music fans on this board, including a lot of Beatles fans.  So I thought, "what the hell," and created a poll.  I hope it generates some fun discussion about whom I believe is the greatest rock and roll band of all time.

 

This isn't necessarily which album you think is the "best," Beatles album.  That's a different discussion (that will last a lifetime).

 

But what's your favorite?  I have a difficult time deciding this.  My vote was Abbey Road.  I was always a McCartney guy (although I love all of their contributions) and this album is heavy McCartney.  But the Lennon and Harrison pieces are just as solid.  Just a great album from beginning to end.

 

My biggest difficulty is deciding between Revolver and Rubber Soul for my personal 2nd place.  I lean to Revolver.

 

Hard choice but overall went with "Hard Day's Night". It represents the initial musical transition between the initial "simple pop" Beatles and their later, more intricate music.

Compare the up-beat, pop "Can't Buy Me Love" with the minor key and harmonies of "Things We Said Today" - you can hear the development.

 

"Things We Said Today" is just an oft-forgotten classic.  Love that song.

 

"Rubber Soul" would be second place, though "Taxman" is just classic.

 

Again, not "best",  but personal favorite.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

 

Hard choice but overall went with "Hard Day's Night". It represents the initial musical transition between the initial "simple pop" Beatles and their later, more intricate music.

Compare the up-beat, pop "Can't Buy Me Love" with the minor key and harmonies of "Things We Said Today" - you can hear the development.

 

"Things We Said Today" is just an oft-forgotten classic.  Love that song.

 

"Rubber Soul" would be second place, though "Taxman" is just classic.

 

Again, not "best",  but personal favorite.

 

 

This is a great assessment.  I'm a minor key fan.  So much more feeling and emotion.  My son gravitates to the minors when he plays.  Anyway, this is a great call with excellent reasoning.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Gugny said:

 

God Dammit!  I had it on there.  Must have inadvertently deleted it.  ****

 

EDIT:  I added it at the bottom.

 

Surely, it must be close.

 

It is such a fantastic album.

 

No not really. Earlier albums are too bubblegum later trying too hard to be otherwise. Revolver is peak beatles imo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Revolver/White Album. I’m a racist gun owner. 

 

Is that redundant?  🤔

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My gut was to go White Album because I heard it so many times, but I voted Abbey Road after a little review. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

I'm not a Beatles lover, nor am I a hater, I just don't know all of their music.

 

Thankfully the topic is which is my personal favorite, so I chose the one that I heard the most often when I was growing up as a kid, which is whatever my parents played the most or which was played most often at parties we went too.

 

That would be Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band. Although I do know that my parents played Rubber Soul & Abbey Road fairly often too. I just found myself liking Sgt. Pepper's more.

 

That pretty much sums it up  for me. I had the red and blue greatest hits albums but more often than not when I'd listen to a studio album, it just didn't interest me. Abbey Road,  and in particular the medley, was the exception for me. Easily my favorite.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fav: White Album

Best: Revolver (UK)

 

They”re all great though. Maybe not side 2 of Yellow Submarine lol, but Hey Bulldog is easily s top 20 or so Beatles song for me.

Edited by Rico

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Rico said:

Fav: White Album

Best: Revolver (UK)

 

They”re all great though. Maybe not side 2 of Yellow Submarine lol, but Hey Bulldog is easily s top 20 or so Beatles song for me.

 

Love that song!  "You can talk to me...you can talk to me...if you're lonely you can talk to me"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...