Favorite Beatles Album

Gugny

Your Favorite Beatles Album  

94 members have voted

1. 1. Which Beatles album is your favorite (not necessarily which you think is best) and why?

• Please Please Me
    • Meet the Beatles
    • Hard Day's Night
    • Beatles For Sale
    • Help!
    • Rubber Soul
    • Revolver
    • Magical Mystery Tour
    • White Album
    • Yellow Submarine
    • Abbey Road
    • Let it Be
    • Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (out of order, but I somehow left it out)

4 hours ago, Rico said:

Disagree. Not all the songs are great. For instance, I think Maxwell’s Silver Hammer is just OK, dropping AR a notch for me below the White Album. Others would say the same for Revolution #9 and Yellow Submarine (not me though). Then again, I would change a thing about any of them.I’ve listened to White Album more than the others over the past 50 years it’s been out, so my choice is simple.

Oops, that should be I wouldn't change a thing, not would. I would never think of skipping the one's I don't care for, not even Mr. Moonlight.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Rico said:

Oops, that should be I wouldn't change a thing, not would. I would never think of skipping the one's I don't care for, not even Mr. Moonlight.

You may be the only person I'm aware of to listen to Yellow Submarine from start to finish...

Just now, T&C said:

You may be the only person I'm aware of to listen to Yellow Submarine from start to finish...

Side 2 of Yellow Submarine doesn't count for me lol... though I can listen to the instrumentals on the US Help! if I had to cause I love the movie.

It's not on the vote list, but I really love the Hey Jude album.

I love all of them, but I went with "Beatles For Sale".  I could have gone with "Help".  I love those records because they are half-way between the jangly-pop of the early records, and the more experimental, sophisticated sounds that were to come.  There is a kind of dark undertone to them...I always love that friction in music. "I Don't Want to Spoil the Party" is one of my favorite Bealtes songs...one that many people forget about.  Pop--melancholy... of course, growing up with the American versions of the Beatles albums, it would be "Beatles '65", "Beatles VI" and "Help!" that represent my favorite period of Beatles music.  But, love all the other periods too!

44 minutes ago, Rico said:

I love "Yellow Submarine", but in truth, at 53, I could live the rest of my life and never hear it again..I'd be okay with that.

19 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Love that song!  "You can talk to me...you can talk to me...if you're lonely you can talk to me"

Are you old enough to remember the Sabres Jim Schoenfiled putting out a rock and roll record?  He did all covers...a bunch of Beatles songs...Hey Bulldog was one of them....can't find it on Youtube, but just to give you an idea:

Edited by Buftex

4 hours ago, T&C said:

I've always had a soft spot for the first one (Veejay records), A taste of honey still gives me goosebumps... but the whole album is great.

Same with Beatles 65 and Yesterday and Today... mid albums with great stuff that sometimes gets overlooked in their catalog.

Yellow Submarine is so much George Martin that I almost don't consider it a Beatles album.

The second one, Meet the Beatles or Beatlemania! In Canada, was best for forming their chops, John’s voice on Money and It Won’t Be Long soon changed.

Still great to put them on 50 years later and it still is the best pop group to me, at 52....

Abbey Road, George’s two songs were huge and they could have gone on ATMP just as easily.  Not a big fan of the medley. The sound quality (the drums!!!) and fun with moogs makes it extra special 

Any fans who bought Revolver at that time have a recollection of first hearing She Said She Said or TomorrowNever Knows?

Edited by row_33

9 minutes ago, row_33 said:

The second one, Meet the Beatles or Beatlemania! In Canada, was best for forming their chops, John’s voice on Money and It Won’t Be Long soon changed.

Still great to put them on 50 years later and it still is the best pop group to me, at 52....

Abbey Road, George’s two songs were huge and they could have gone on ATMP just as easily.  Not a big fan of the medley. The sound quality (the drums!!!) and fun with moogs makes it extra special 

Any fans who bought Revolver at that time have a recollection of first hearing She Said She Said or TomorrowNever Knows?

I bought it with my allowance money. I didn't like them at all, wtf. My 6-year-old ears loved Yellow Submarine and the Macca pop though.

Liked them by the time I was 9 or so.:D

• Thank you (+1) 1

Here are two links that should be enjoyed by anyone who likes the Beatles.   The first below is an instructor going over some guitar techniques.   Not sure it is for everyone but if you ever played or tried to play a guitar,  you should find it enjoyable.

The second link is a composer who goes over some of the unique writing techniques they employed.   I was never a big fan of I am the Walrus, but after watching this I find it a most interesting song.   

They are both rather long but worth it.   If you only watch one I might guess you should watch the second one.  Enjoy.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Rico said:

I bought it with my allowance money. I didn't like them at all, wtf. My 6-year-old ears loved Yellow Submarine and the Macca pop though.

Liked them by the time I was 9 or so.:D

Thanks, ten thumbs up!

• Like (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, row_33 said:

Thanks, ten thumbs up!

Little more now that I think of it....Back then (and still now), John was by far my fav. Yesterday and Today came out in the US after Rubber Soul & it was just great back then (still is). It was jam-packed with Lennon songs, including I'm Only Sleeping, And Your Bird Can Sing, and Doctor Robert. When Revolver followed in the US, the only John songs on it were She Said She Said and Tomorrow Never Knows  :blink:... I doubt they had a Beatles cartoon for those 2.:lol:  I thought Y&T was a much better LP. Then SFF/Penny Lane was really great, but I wasn't a fan of Sgt. Pepper's, outside of the 1st 3 songs. By Magical Mystery Tour, I was a little older I guess & more in tune to the change in style. 

Edited by Rico

1 hour ago, Rico said:

Little more now that I think of it....Back then (and still now), John was by far my fav. Yesterday and Today came out in the US after Rubber Soul & it was just great back then (still is). It was jam-packed with Lennon songs, including I'm Only Sleeping, And Your Bird Can Sing, and Doctor Robert. When Revolver followed in the US, the only John songs on it were She Said She Said and Tomorrow Never Knows  :blink:... I doubt they had a Beatles cartoon for those 2.:lol:  I thought Y&T was a much better LP. Then SFF/Penny Lane was really great, but I wasn't a fan of Sgt. Pepper's, outside of the 1st 3 songs. By Magical Mystery Tour, I was a little older I guess & more in tune to the change in style. 

Agreed about John, no contest at all.

So he did the final US tour dealing with the Jesus thing and those two were his only available songs for August 1966. He was so far gone in a few ways from being Beatle John that month.

Also Beatles ‘65 was a good chop-up album, better than the Uk releases 

One of my favorite videos.  It's amazing how his vision of the song came to fruition, with the french horns and the structure of the tune.  One of my favorite Beatles tunes, too.

• Like (+1) 3

20 minutes ago, Gugny said:

One of my favorite videos.  It's amazing how his vision of the song came to fruition, with the french horns and the structure of the tune.  One of my favorite Beatles tunes, too.

A great “throwaway” tune that one can discover when they listen to studio albums.

there are dozens of them....

are they going to matter in 50 years?  I hope so....

Yellow Submarine edges out any of the others as my favorite for only three songs: It's All Too Much, Hey Bulldog, and It's Only A Northern Song.  What's their best effort? Impossible to say, really since they offered up so many fantastic songs & albums in what was a relatively short career together.