Favorite Beatles Album

Gugny

Your Favorite Beatles Album  

94 members have voted

1. 1. Which Beatles album is your favorite (not necessarily which you think is best) and why?

• Please Please Me
    • Meet the Beatles
    • Hard Day's Night
    • Beatles For Sale
    • Help!
    • Rubber Soul
    • Revolver
    • Magical Mystery Tour
    • White Album
    • Yellow Submarine
    • Abbey Road
    • Let it Be
    • Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (out of order, but I somehow left it out)

1 hour ago, row_33 said:

A great “throwaway” tune that one can discover when they listen to studio albums.

there are dozens of them....

are they going to matter in 50 years?  I hope so....

With the current state of music.....hell yes.

7 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

With the current state of music.....hell yes.

and I'll be buying my 15th complete version of it all, in various formats over the next decade.

5 hours ago, joesixpack said:

There is good music being made. Just gotta dig for it.

nothing compares to the British Invasion/Acid Trip/Early Heavy Metal years for us old farts

nothing...

people with autotune and nothing more than stage show and video will not be overtaking Led Zeppelin 1 to Houses of the Holy....

• Like (+1) 3

48 minutes ago, row_33 said:

and I'll be buying my 15th complete version of it all, in various formats over the next decade.

nothing compares to the British Invasion/Acid Trip/Early Heavy Metal years for us old farts

nothing...

people with autotune and nothing more than stage show and video will not be overtaking Led Zeppelin 1 to Houses of the Holy....

Every generation thinks that the music from that generation is the best. The difference is that OUR generation is RIGHT about that. ?

• Thank you (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

Every generation thinks that the music from that generation is the best. The difference is that OUR generation is RIGHT about that. ?

my youth during the 80s knew full well the music wasn't half as good as the late 60s.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, row_33 said:

nothing...

You realize autotuning is limited to mostly pop garbage, yes?

17 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

4 minutes ago, row_33 said:

my youth during the 80s knew full well the music wasn't half as good as the late 60s.

Every decade has had great music.

But I have to agree, here ... nothing will ever top the mid-late 60s - early-mid 70s.

Decided to just rank them. 

1. Abbey Road - Side one is great. But side two, is a masterpice. 

2. Revolver - I'm with the people that say these albums are basically tied with each other. I think I like this one better than RS simply because it was first, and the first indication that the Beatles were shaking off what we'd call a boy band image today.

3. Rubber Soul - Same reason I love Revolver. The stepping out of the box.

4. Sgt. Pepper - Gained a new appriciation for it last summer when a local Beatles tribute band perfomed it in it's entirety along with the local symphony. "A Day In The Life" and "She's Leaving Home" are truly up there with Mozart and Beethoven compositions. 

5. Hard Day's Night - Pure, unadulterated Rock and Roll. Just a lot of fun. 

6. Beatles For Sale - This has a cheap feel to it, which is where the title comes from. But I think that's what I like about it. I'm a huge fan of early rock and roll, so I love the Chuck, Buddy, Little Richard covers on this one. 

7. White Album - Basically combined solo albums, and truly hearing the differences in their indiviual songs. Even the songs I don't care for, I respect the experimental nature of them.

8. Please Please Me - Some great tunes. Looked up the original songs recently (since half of them were covers.) Every single one of them were done better by the Beatles. 

9. Magical Mystery Tour - Very experimental. I respect the hell out of it for the innovations. But other than Walrus, Strawberry Fields, and Penny Lane, I could take or leave it as far as my personal tastes.

10. Help! Some great songs on it. But it just doesn't have the "feel" of an album. I don't know how to describe it. 

11. Let it Be - I know what they were going for here, but just don't like the lack of flow on it. Beatles are geniuses. Spector is a genius. Not a fan of what they did together. I prefer the "Let it Be Naked" that was released about 10-15 years ago.

12. Meet The Beatles - A lot of really good songs on there, but a lot of songs that just aren't. Probably their weakest album.

*Yellow Submarine - Only had like four original songs on it, so I don't really count it as an album.

25 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

You realize autotuning is limited to mostly pop garbage, yes?

I think Macca used it on his last album, so I would have to agree. :D

2 minutes ago, I am the egg man said:

.....only band in Rock n Roll that merits such a debate. 

Spare me with the Rolling Stones nonsense that they were ever on par or any band in the album making  pop music era as the Beatles.

Studio, yes. Live, Stones in their prime blew them off the stage.

13 minutes ago, I am the egg man said:

Spare me with the Rolling Stones nonsense that they were ever on par or any band in the album making  pop music era as the Beatles.

Stones up to and including Exile on Main St. is worthy

Sticky Fingers and Exile are among the greatest works.

(maybe there's a White Album/Exile continuum for some fans...)

Nearly every party I attend these days seems to end up with the inevitable drunken Beatles vs Zep who was the best band ever argument.  

Live, no question Zep, and the Stones, are a cut above.. and a lot of other bands too really.  

But for me the crown goes to the most influential, and from what I can surmise is the Beatles were the first band to take the music industry from 'play what you're supposed to play' (ie. pander to the radio and record company executives) to NO we will record what we want to record and produce how we want to produce, essentially putting the power into the hands of the artists where it belongs.  

22 minutes ago, row_33 said:

Stones up to and including Exile on Main St. is worthy

Sticky Fingers and Exile are among the greatest works.

(maybe there's a White Album/Exile continuum for some fans...)

I will concede that the studio Beatles > the studio Stones... but the Beatles never made an album as great as Exile on Main Street. Close, but no cigar.

11 minutes ago, coloradobillsfan said:

Nearly every party I attend these days seems to end up with the inevitable drunken Beatles vs Zep who was the best band ever argument.  

Live, no question Zep, and the Stones, are a cut above.. and a lot of other bands too really.  

But for me the crown goes to the most influential, and from what I can surmise is the Beatles were the first band to take the music industry from 'play what you're supposed to play' (ie. pander to the radio and record company executives) to NO we will record what we want to record and produce how we want to produce, essentially putting the power into the hands of the artists where it belongs.  

As much as I love The Beatles, this award goes to Buddy Holly. Buddy Holly did it from the start of his career, where the Beatles weren't given that freedom until after stardom. And even then was only because they got to a point where they could fart into a microphone, and sell 100 million records.

17 hours ago, joesixpack said:

I should note I’m much more of a who/stones fan than the Beatles.

When I was younger I had this idea that much like sports you couldn't like 2 bands that were similar.

I chose Stones over Beatles and Metallica over GnR as the 2 examples that stick out in my head.  My teenage years though I realized that was dumb and fell head over heels for the Beatles.  Yellow Submarine will always hold a special place due to experiments my friends and I held.  0:)

On topic though Abbey Road is my favorite and a go to whenever I need background music at work that will keep me motivated.  That and Neil Young's greatest hits (different thread though)

25 minutes ago, I am the egg man said:

I think Pink Floyd fans would have trouble picking a favorite as well.  Floyd is my favorite band of all time (them and Rage against the Machine - doesn't have to make sense lol) and there are heated debates.  I don't care for Syd Barrett Floyd it is way to "out there".  There are many that don't consider Division Bell a true Floyd album even though for me it is in the discussion of favorite albums by them.  Then there is the incredible run of dark side of the moon, wish you were here, animals, and the wall.  There are GIlmour fans, Waters fans, Syd fans.  I can't even pick my favorite after sitting here and trying to lol.

12 minutes ago, Rico said:

I will concede that the studio Beatles > the studio Stones... but the Beatles never made an album as great as Exile on Main Street. Close, but no cigar.

so why can't i get more fans interested in Exile???

I was hooked the first time i heard it

9 minutes ago, section122 said:

I think Pink Floyd fans would have trouble picking a favorite as well.  Floyd is my favorite band of all time (them and Rage against the Machine - doesn't have to make sense lol) and there are heated debates.  I don't care for Syd Barrett Floyd it is way to "out there".  There are many that don't consider Division Bell a true Floyd album even though for me it is in the discussion of favorite albums by them.  Then there is the incredible run of dark side of the moon, wish you were here, animals, and the wall.  There are GIlmour fans, Waters fans, Syd fans.  I can't even pick my favorite after sitting here and trying to lol.

Have you seen them live?

I am going to divert off the list. Some of the earlier Capitol releases were different then the UK releases. I love them all, but the album I wore out playing was Beatles '65.

TheBeatlesBeatles65reissuecover.jpg

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, dhg said:

I am going to divert off the list. Some of the earlier Capitol releases were different then the UK releases. I love them all, but the album I wore out playing was Beatles '65.

TheBeatlesBeatles65reissuecover.jpg

a butcher job that was better than the UK releases.

1 minute ago, section122 said:

When I was younger I had this idea that much like sports you couldn't like 2 bands that were similar.

I chose Stones over Beatles and Metallica over GnR as the 2 examples that stick out in my head.  My teenage years though I realized that was dumb and fell head over heels for the Beatles.  Yellow Submarine will always hold a special place due to experiments my friends and I held.  0:)

On topic though Abbey Road is my favorite and a go to whenever I need background music at work that will keep me motivated.  That and Neil Young's greatest hits (different thread though)

Floyd, for me is easy:  Wish You Were Here, with Dark Side as a semi-distant second.

I think Water-less Floyd is still Floyd.  But I, personally, don't like one Floyd album that doesn't have Waters on it.