Gugny

Lamar Jackson Lining Up at Other Positions During Practice

1 minute ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...NOT A CHANCE....that would ONLY happen at TBD with the "One & Done Gang".......

It wasn’t my suggestion!! Don’t shoot the messenger. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

What does his mom think?

Mom helped him get drafted in the first round as a quarterback.

i think, IF, given the proper room to grow, he can be a starting qb in this league.  

1 hour ago, John from Riverside said:

Im suprised that Jackson isnt bucking this a bit.....maybe after he fell just happy to be a first round pick.

I still think he has a chance to be good.

Flacco has one more big guaranteed year on his deal, they can get out after the year with like only 8 mil dead cap.

At most he has 3 left on his deal if it plays out.

Maybe the Ravens are committed to Jackson, assuming he can develop, and have told him this, and he's taking their word for it.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Schefter has an article out today with the headline The Ravens are in awe of Lamar Jackson. 

EDIT: That was his tweet with link to same writer of the ESPN article discussed above. 

Edited by Kelly the Dog

I give them credit for being creative and trying to use all the assets they have on offense. Designing a few plays and different formations may keep the defense off balance. The problem will be once the plays are used for Lamar, Flacco has to either become a blocker or a receiver, which probably won't go well. Defenses are fast so it may be more of using Lamar as a receiver and runner out of the backfield with various RPO's based on the defense. 

6 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Schefter has an article out today with the headline The Ravens are in awe of Lamar Jackson. 

.great...so Flacco demands a trade and TBD gives birth to "bring 'em in" threads....better be a C-section....uh oh...........

They have to figure out ways to put Lamar out there. He’s too good not to be playing. I don’t think he takes Flacos job yet but eventually he will. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, wppete said:

They have to figure out ways to put Lamar out there. He’s too good not to be playing. I don’t think he takes Flacos job yet but eventually he will. 

...assume p/k holder won't cut it then??.........

4 minutes ago, wppete said:

Exactly.  He is one of the greatest athletes to come out of college football since Vince Young, and he’s an electric playmaker.  They’d be crazy to not find a role for him out there.  Even if it’s just a few jet sweeps or gadget type plays here and there.  Get the ball in his hands, or at least make the defense account for him.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Exactly.  He is one of the greatest athletes to come out of college football since Vince Young, and he’s an electric playmaker.  They’d be crazy to not find a role for him out there.  Even if it’s just a few jet sweeps or gadget type plays here and there.  Get the ball in his hands, or at least make the defense account for him.

He’s faster than V Young, he might even be able to outrun the bill collectors! 

14 minutes ago, Augie said:

He’s faster than V Young, he might even be able to outrun the bill collectors! 

With all that agent money he’s saving?? 

2 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

With all that agent money he’s saving?? 

Maybe he has momma on an allowance.....

2 hours ago, Zebrastripes said:

I think it's a terrible idea for him to line up at other positions.  Yes he is a great athlete but I don't think he has the body type to take the punishment of playing wr or rb.

Or the mind to learn a full qb package PLUS 2-3 other positions in gimmick roles 

1 minute ago, NoSaint said:

Or the mind to learn a full qb package PLUS 2-3 other positions in gimmick roles 

Every team has 500 plays in their playbook (even if it's 100 basic plays). The quarterback has to learn how to call them all and where everyone lines up and what they do on them all in a generic sense. The idea that it is taking time out of his ability to learn the playbook/offense because of the 10-20 gadget plays they may put him in IMO doesn't lessen his ability to learn the offense at all. It's the same thing as 10-20 other plays. 

Its pretty clear to most gms and scouts that have been quoted predraft feel that his value is not at qb, regardless what he or fans think.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, greeneblitz said:

Its pretty clear to most gms and scouts that have been quoted predraft feel that his value is not at qb, regardless what he or fans think.

Or the Ravens? They like what he has been doing at quarterback so far a lot. He's playing other positions because he is so good they don't want him on the bench. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Every team has 500 plays in their playbook (even if it's 100 basic plays). The quarterback has to learn how to call them all and where everyone lines up and what they do on them all in a generic sense. The idea that it is taking time out of his ability to learn the playbook/offense because of the 10-20 gadget plays they may put him in IMO doesn't lessen his ability to learn the offense at all. It's the same thing as 10-20 other plays. 

But as a guy that I believe will be limited in learning his 500 plays, I would personally rather he learn 20 extra pass plays.

also, to run 10 gimmicks he needs to know several non-gimmicks off the formation. Put him at wr and suddenly in order to throw a few option passes and an end around or two he needs at least a basic route tree to be a threat. Practice catching, etc...

If he’s third string so be it, but if he’s one snap away from needing to run the offense week one then I want him learning his position- which I anticipate being a challenge without the distract 

3 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

What does his mom think?

WWLMD.

on a serious note, a wrinkle like that could cause problems for defenses until they see it a time or two. 

Posted (edited)

This is basically to fool the Browns once/twice a season.

Edited by Boca BIlls

2 hours ago, wppete said:

If the Ravens go from Joe Flacco to Lamont Jackson, then they have failed.  Which is fine by me.

1 hour ago, greeneblitz said:

Well then they severely over-drafted the guy. Who takes a guy that high for a position he’s never played? I don’t know if he will pan out, but...

Playing Jackson at positions other than QB is stupid.

Listening to this guy speak it's hard to imagine him motivating professional football players to follow him.

A good first  step would be using full words and not giggling while bouncing all over the place while speaking. 

Some mentioned him as having skills similar to Tyrod. Tyrod is 10x more composed and professional. Lamar seems like a goofball. Time will tell but I don't get the hype. 

5 hours ago, Zebrastripes said:

I think it's a terrible idea for him to line up at other positions.  Yes he is a great athlete but I don't think he has the body type to take the punishment of playing wr or rb.

They're playing him a LT

Lamar Jackson will never be a pocket type passer.  His wonderlic score was among the lowest of all the QB's drafted. He's a great athlete.  Maybe they can find a role for him but it will not be as a starting QB.