California (again)

17 hours ago, Chef Jim said:

Well I finally heard back from one of the CA politicians i emailed regarding our gas prices.  So the conclusion is our prices are higher because we charge more. 🤦🏻‍♂️

587EDBC4-A303-4F03-8702-FE595FB1518C.jpeg.a38fc10c2bbc9db851c51041eb644a42.jpeg

Seeing the screenshot is hard to read I wanted to copy and paste it here.  I highlighted the part in the email that made me laugh.  Gotta love our government.  

Dear Jim:

Thank you for writing to share your concerns regarding gasoline prices.  I appreciate the time you took to write, and I welcome the opportunity to respond.

I understand the frustration that many Californians have with spikes in gasoline prices, as well as the difficulties these high prices bring to everyday life.  Please know that I have consistently advocated for more oversight of the gasoline market.

The American Automobile Association tracks retail gasoline price and, according to their estimates, Californians pay over $1.00 per gallon more than the national average.  Because of this disparity, Governor Gavin Newsom directed the California Energy Commission to perform an analysis of the state’s gas prices, which found that “the primary cause of the residual price increase is simply that California’s retail gasoline outlets are charging higher prices.”  In response, Governor Newsom wrote to the California Attorney General requesting an investigation into the high prices, and in May 2020, the California Department of Justice filed a lawsuit against the oil companies Vitol and SK Energy Americas for price gouging California gas customers.  UC Berkeley researchers believe that from February 2015 to October 2018, the alleged price gouging cost California residents more than $17 billion, equivalent to about $1,700 for a family of four.

I share your concerns about the burden of high gas prices on hard-working Americans.  I will be sure to keep your concerns in mind as I continue to monitor this situation closely.

Once again, thank you for writing.  Should you have any other questions or comments, please call my Washington, D.C., office at (202) 224-3841 or visit my website at feinstein.senate.gov.  You can also follow me online at YouTube, Facebook, and Twitter.  Best regards.

• Haha (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

Seeing the screenshot is hard to read I wanted to copy and paste it here.  I highlighted the part in the email that made me laugh.  Gotta love our government.  

Dear Jim:

Thank you for writing to share your concerns regarding gasoline prices.  I appreciate the time you took to write, and I welcome the opportunity to respond.

I understand the frustration that many Californians have with spikes in gasoline prices, as well as the difficulties these high prices bring to everyday life.  Please know that I have consistently advocated for more oversight of the gasoline market.

The American Automobile Association tracks retail gasoline price and, according to their estimates, Californians pay over $1.00 per gallon more than the national average.  Because of this disparity, Governor Gavin Newsom directed the California Energy Commission to perform an analysis of the state’s gas prices, which found that “the primary cause of the residual price increase is simply that California’s retail gasoline outlets are charging higher prices.”  In response, Governor Newsom wrote to the California Attorney General requesting an investigation into the high prices, and in May 2020, the California Department of Justice filed a lawsuit against the oil companies Vitol and SK Energy Americas for price gouging California gas customers.  UC Berkeley researchers believe that from February 2015 to October 2018, the alleged price gouging cost California residents more than $17 billion, equivalent to about $1,700 for a family of four.

I share your concerns about the burden of high gas prices on hard-working Americans.  I will be sure to keep your concerns in mind as I continue to monitor this situation closely.

Once again, thank you for writing.  Should you have any other questions or comments, please call my Washington, D.C., office at (202) 224-3841 or visit my website at feinstein.senate.gov.  You can also follow me online at YouTube, Facebook, and Twitter.  Best regards.

I'm glad you shared this Chef. My elderly father would often contact Senator's Feinstein and Boxer.  He tells me Feinstein's office would always respond with a word salad like you received.  Boxer's office would never respond at all.  Carry on!  

3 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

I'm glad you shared this Chef. My elderly father would often contact Senator's Feinstein and Boxer.  He tells me Feinstein's office would always respond with a word salad like you received.  Boxer's office would never respond at all.  Carry on!  

Prices are higher in CA because they charge more.  Well now isn't that some deep investigative work. Notice they (I know she didn't write that) didn't say anything about CA having some of (if not the) highest has taxes in the country.  

Just now, Chef Jim said:

Prices are higher in CA because they charge more.  Well now isn't that some deep investigative work. Notice they (I know she didn't write that) didn't say anything about CA having some of (if not the) highest has taxes in the country.  

That's your Senator at work Chef!  Like I said, my dad was always amazed that her office would respond at all...but every single time it was a total non-response!  SHe must have hundreds of people cranking out these non-response letters.

It’s Official: Generator Ban Passes in California. “

The California Air Resources Board (CARB) passed a regulation aimed at “Small Off-Road Engines” on Thursday that will ban the sale of portable generators in the state — which includes generators mounted in recreational vehicles. The ruling bans the sale of gas-powered leaf blowers and lawnmowers in the state beginning in 2024. Portable generators will be required to meet more stringent standards in 2024 and meet zero-emission standards starting in 2028. In the 2024 model year, portable generators will have to improve their efficiency by somewhere between 40% and 90%, which seems unrealistic in such a short period of time, so the reality is, it will be very hard to find a generator in Calfornia in two years.”

https://rvmiles.com/california-generator-ban/

I’m opening a generator superstore just across the line in Nevada. Who’s in?

1 minute ago, B-Man said:

It’s Official: Generator Ban Passes in California. “

The California Air Resources Board (CARB) passed a regulation aimed at “Small Off-Road Engines” on Thursday that will ban the sale of portable generators in the state — which includes generators mounted in recreational vehicles. The ruling bans the sale of gas-powered leaf blowers and lawnmowers in the state beginning in 2024. Portable generators will be required to meet more stringent standards in 2024 and meet zero-emission standards starting in 2028. In the 2024 model year, portable generators will have to improve their efficiency by somewhere between 40% and 90%, which seems unrealistic in such a short period of time, so the reality is, it will be very hard to find a generator in Calfornia in two years.”

https://rvmiles.com/california-generator-ban/

I’m opening a generator superstore just across the line in Nevada. Who’s in?

So let me get this straight.  Our power grid is ***** up and because of that we get rolling blackouts but can't use portable generators for when YOU shut off our power?  

Will they not deliver??

https://www.amazon.com/iPower-SUA12000E-000-Watt-Gasoline-Generator/dp/B00HVF3JGO/ref=sr_1_4?crid=1ZBG45LZ4RJWO&keywords=gas+generators+for+home+use&qid=1639516975&sprefix=gas+generator%2Caps%2C281&sr=8-4

• Thank you (+1) 1

• 3 weeks later...

https://www.wsj.com/articles/california-makes-bacon-expensive-commerce-clause-supreme-court-pork-prices-ballot-12-11640892337

The law es­tab­lishes min­i­mum space re­quire­ments for farm an­i­mals and pro­hibits the sale of meat from an­i­mals raised in hous­ing that doesn’t meet its spec­i­fi­ca­tions. State reg­u­la­tors will in­spect out-of-state farms to en­sure they are in com­pli­ance. A busi­ness owner or op­er­a­tor—in­clud­ing su­per­mar­kets, restau­rants and meat pro­ces­sors—found to be vi­o­lat­ing the law could be charged with a mis­de­meanor pun­ish­able with fines up to $1,000 or as many as 180 days in jail, as well as civil penal­ties. This in a state where shoplift­ing is rarely pros­e­cuted.

CA tax dollars hard at work, making sure Orville had a nice home in Arkansas before making it to your ham sandwich in San Bernardino 

4 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/california-makes-bacon-expensive-commerce-clause-supreme-court-pork-prices-ballot-12-11640892337

CA tax dollars hard at work, making sure Orville had a nice home in Arkansas before making it to your ham sandwich in San Bernardino 

I suspect many states and local communities will ban inspectors from CA.  Legally I could see where the law could also infringe on interstate commerce.  Imagine other states passing laws that require farm produce not processed by illegal immigrants and send inspectors to ensure compliance.  CA would be screwed 

Practically, once a few inspectors come up "missing" I think the rest will think twice before visiting the backwoods of America.

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Precision said:

I guess some of the fine citizens of CA heard all the talk about "supply chain" and someone thought they said "supply train" so they went and looted the train! 

It is actually at a point that I look at where a package is coming from before I order now. If it is coming from LA or further west I look to see if there is another similar priced option.