California (again)

16 hours ago, DC Tom said:

$2.39 a couple hours ago...and that was in the district, where gas is pricey.

Prices in CA are probably jacked to cover the impending PG&E bankruptcy.

CA already approved PG&E to get that money from its customers by jacking up their bills.

Plus, we just double-passed a gas tax on top of the other gas taxes to pay for infrastructure. I say double-passed because the tax was up for recall, for lack of a better term, in the last election, and CA approved it one more time. So CA pays about 58 cents per gallon in state taxes, which I think is about 25 cents more per gallon than the national average.

3 hours ago, LABillzFan said:

CA already approved PG&E to get that money from its customers by jacking up their bills.

Plus, we just double-passed a gas tax on top of the other gas taxes to pay for infrastructure. I say double-passed because the tax was up for recall, for lack of a better term, in the last election, and CA approved it one more time. So CA pays about 58 cents per gallon in state taxes, which I think is about 25 cents more per gallon than the national average.

We/you/us never approved it the first time.  

11 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

:wallbash: Really, does anyone in California ever think anything through?  

As I'm sure is the case everywhere else, outside of solar (which is now mandated on every new house built in CA), you really don't have a choice where you get your power. So you either have to suck it up, or move.

I'm fairly confident the people running this state don't care one way or another about thinking things through. They're happy with the state of the state because it provides for them tremendously. They have a lock on the state and the way it's run and no one will be changing that any time in the next few hundred years

7 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

We/you/us never approved it the first time.  

Could have sworn that was a vote the first time, but then again, I don't really waste my time voting here anymore, so I'm not surprised I remember that incorrectly.

4 hours ago, LABillzFan said:

And, I think, still lower than Pennsylvania's. Which is just ridiculous.

2 hours ago, Joe in Winslow said:

It's incredible. NJ gets a rap for a high tax state, yet my income taxes AND the gas tax is lower in NJ than PA, and the sales tax is only .5% higher.

How's your property tax in Macungie of NJ

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Joe in Winslow said:

That's the kicker. Higher.

Yeah, it's 2.10 down the road from me at the moment.

To be fair, Jersey gets a bit screwed in income tax collection because a good number of its highest earners pay NYS and PA income tax, and Jersey only gets a small portion of the total state income tax because of the state tax credits.

8 minutes ago, GG said:

To be fair, Jersey gets a bit screwed in income tax collection because a good number of its highest earners pay NYS and PA income tax, and Jersey only gets a small portion of the total state income tax because of the state tax credits.

Jersey also has a progressive taxation system for income, versus a flat 3% in PA.

No "he" or "she"

WATCH: Democrat State Senator Announces Using 'He/She' Pronouns Will Be Banned During Hearings

California knows no bounds when it comes to radical LGBT activism. On Thursday, State Senator and Senate Judiciary Committee chair Hannah-Beth Jackson (D-Santa Barbara) announced that only "gender neutral" pronouns will be permitted during committee hearings.

"Our first order of business is to approve the committee rules. I'd like to note — in respecting the fact that we are now a state recognizing the non-binary designation as a gender — he and she, we are now merging them so we are using what my grammar teacher would have had a heart attack over: we are using the phrase ‘they’ and replacing other designations so it's a gender neutral designation: ‘they,’” announced the Democrat. “Basically, that’s the primary reforms and revisions to the committee rules.”

“In the spirit of gender neutrality for the rules of this committee, we now designate the chair as ‘they,’” Jackson corrected the record.

https://www.dailywire.com/news/42389/watch-democrat-state-senator-announces-politically-amanda-prestigiacomo?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_content=062316-news&utm_campaign=dwbrand

Gov. Gavin Newsom wants to use state funds to help migrant families arriving at the California border.

.He said what? wait I thought #California didn't have the money to pay their teachers fair wages, but now he have money to pay for #Immigrants programs, and what about Americans and veterans homeless #teacherstrike #teacher

Inner Cities in California are full of American Citizens high on drugs and poor and hurting. Homeless Americans all over the streets and you have the audacity to earmark money to help illlegals? 

• Like (+1) 1

Eh, I don't agree with this thread.  Does California do a lot of goofy things?  Of course.  A ton in fact. But they also drive a lot of progressive ideas in our court system, historically and currently.  Their views are pretty crucial to our legal system, and it is one of the more important states when it comes to this.  

9 minutes ago, Crayola64 said:

Eh, I don't agree with this thread.  Does California do a lot of goofy things?  Of course.  A ton in fact. But they also drive a lot of progressive ideas in our court system, historically and currently.  Their views are pretty crucial to our legal system, and it is one of the more important states when it comes to this.  

I'm going to assume you don't live in CA. I'm not going to argue with your point; I just want to point out that stories like "Newsome wants to give money to illegals to help them" and "Newsome wants illegals to have free health care" and "Newsome wants to tax water" and "Newsome wants to increase gas taxes" is why so many of us are running out of the state.

The government is  bending over to give money to illegals, and give them sanctuary as they murder and maim taxpaying Americans, but making homeless suffer and being the B word of every union here, especially the teachers right now.

The unions will get their money and Newsome will tax something else to pay for it, but on behalf of those companies who are tired of carrying the tax needs of 40M people on its back, I'm out. This state can go eff itself because it literally cares not one iota for it's people.

Edited by LABillzFan

7 minutes ago, LABillzFan said:

I'm going to assume you don't live in CA. I'm not going to argue with your point; I just want to point out that stories like "Newsome wants to give money to illegals to help them" and "Newsome wants illegals to have free health care" and "Newsome wants to tax water" and "Newsome wants to increase gas taxes" is why so many of us are running out of the state.

The government is  bending over to give money to illegals, and give them sanctuary as they murder and maim taxpaying Americans, but making homeless suffer and being the B word of every union here, especially the teachers right now.

The unions will get their money and Newsome will tax something else to pay for it, but on behalf of those companies who are tired of carrying the tax needs of 40M people on its back, I'm out. This state can go eff itself because it literally cares not one iota for it's people.

I think laughing at their silliness and disagreeing with their ideas is fine, but their progressiveness is definitely a trailblazer for the country and the court system.  The ideas they get right can be trendsetters. That's my only point haha

No I don't live there (though I do enjoy my time there!), but I do a lot of work there.  

Edited by Crayola64

16 minutes ago, Crayola64 said:

WARNING: you may contain chemicals that have been found to cause cancer in the State of California.

21 minutes ago, Crayola64 said:

I think laughing at their silliness and disagreeing with their ideas is fine, but their progressiveness is definitely a trailblazer for the country and the court system.  The ideas they get right can be trendsetters. That's my only point haha

it's all fine until I have to pay for it. That's where I drew the line.  I can laugh and mock them all I want, but in the end, I realized it wasn't enough. I had to leave.

Financially, this state is a mess. A nasty, nasty mess.

I mean, it's no Canada, but it's pretty effin' nasty.

4 minutes ago, LABillzFan said:

it's all fine until I have to pay for it. That's where I drew the line.  I can laugh and mock them all I want, but in the end, I realized it wasn't enough. I had to leave.

Financially, this state is a mess. A nasty, nasty mess.

I mean, it's no Canada, but it's pretty effin' nasty.

It isn't at the top of my list of places I want to move (hello Austin), and no arguing about its financial state.  But from the outside, their goofiness can be a good thing.  Also, their bad goofiness really helps me have work!

7 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

Their unfunded pension obligations are enormous. The Trump economy helped their immediate needs but they are in deepshit long term.

Most of the recovery happened under Obama after the recession reached its peak, but I'm guessing the repeal of the SALT deduction doesn't help as they're so dependent on the high tax rate of those making 250k or more.  You're probably right.

Edited by Doc Brown