June Movies: Jurassic World, Incredibles, Ocean's 8 & Hereditary

40 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

I hated Frozen. My son and I go to see a movie together several times a year in which I am the one to choose what we see. For one of those times, I chose Frozen (I like to torture him). He's usually a very good sport about doing a Disney movie, and before they bought Pixar a Pixar movie was never an issue when I chose one. 

We walked out of Frozen and looked at one another with a "WTF was that" kinda look.  Coulda knocked me over with a feather when it made all that money. It was simply dreadful.  The days of Beauty and the Beast and the Lion King are looooong gone.

yup.  It's all about hitting certain points throughout the movie.   It has to have this element of laughter, then this much seriousness, then a little drama, but then laughter to bring you back up.   then closure.    

10 minutes into Frozen I couldn't take it anymore.    Sad to say for Pixar because they had some great movies, but Disney gets a hold of them and the machine takes over.   Wall E was the high watermark IMO for animated movies of all time.   No dialogue for the first 45 minutes and I could not have been more interested and focused.  That movie sucked me in.   

• Like (+1) 1

On 6/5/2018 at 4:54 PM, DC Tom said:

Ocean's 8 is seriously annoying me.  I'm not a huge fan of remakes to being with, I'm less of a fan of "remake for gender's sake."  

But this movie...they actually make Bullock's character - "Debbie" - Danny Ocean's sister???  A gender remake with a sibling relationship for faux continuity's sake?  That's just insultingly annoying.  On the DC Tom movie review scale, I proactively grant this movie four out of five penguins (five being, of course, "As bad as !@#$ing March of the !@#$ing Penguins.")

If your going to do an all women flick they had better be hot. There none or very little hotness going on here. Didn't they learn from the all chick Ghostbusters disaster no one is buying this shite? Who would green light this turd? Should be fired.

On 6/15/2018 at 10:01 PM, Virgil said:

Tag was fantastic. Just fun from beginning to end. 

We will have to check this one out.

5 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

That's not a severed head.

*Rotting head

?

2 hours ago, Soda Popinski said:

Every time Disney gets their hands on something they just ruin it.   Woo, hold on here, we need more quips, we need more sass, we need more sarcasm and jokes in this script....They are just the absolute worst. 

Frozen was made entirely by focus groups IMO it was nothing but a collection of scenes people thought would be good in that sequence.   There was no plot and the underlying message was if you create your own problems you can solve them 

It definitely was.

That movie would've been so much better if Elsa had become an evil queen living up in the mountains. Then they'd be set up nicely for a trilogy. 

6 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

Did you enjoy it?

I haven't seen it yet, and the overall reviews have been average.

Saw it at the request of my nieces.  If you have seen the others, you've seen this movie....with the exception of how it ends.  Stay for the end credits scene.

8 hours ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

I hated Frozen. My son and I go to see a movie together several times a year in which I am the one to choose what we see. For one of those times, I chose Frozen (I like to torture him). He's usually a very good sport about doing a Disney movie, and before they bought Pixar a Pixar movie was never an issue when I chose one. 

We walked out of Frozen and looked at one another with a "WTF was that" kinda look.  Coulda knocked me over with a feather when it made all that money. It was simply dreadful.  The days of Beauty and the Beast and the Lion King are looooong gone.

7 hours ago, Soda Popinski said:

yup.  It's all about hitting certain points throughout the movie.   It has to have this element of laughter, then this much seriousness, then a little drama, but then laughter to bring you back up.   then closure.    

10 minutes into Frozen I couldn't take it anymore.    Sad to say for Pixar because they had some great movies, but Disney gets a hold of them and the machine takes over.   Wall E was the high watermark IMO for animated movies of all time.   No dialogue for the first 45 minutes and I could not have been more interested and focused.  That movie sucked me in.   

You both know that "Frozen" is NOT a Pixar movie, right?

10 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

You both know that "Frozen" is NOT a Pixar movie, right?

I think you have to go back to the start of our conversation to know that we were talking about both Disney and Pixar, and then when Disney purchased Pixar (it all got jumbled after that). ?

And to answer your question, yes, we know it is a Disney animation. ?

I was worried that Jurassic world would be an incredibly stupid movie and it was. They hastily threw together a lame storyline and it showed. Nothing about that movie made any sense. 

• Sad 1

On 6/22/2018 at 1:53 PM, Soda Popinski said:

Sad to say for Pixar because they had some great movies, but Disney gets a hold of them and the machine takes over.   Wall E was the high watermark IMO for animated movies of all time.   No dialogue for the first 45 minutes and I could not have been more interested and focused.  That movie sucked me in.   

I have to disagree with you on this. Pixar has made quality stuff even after Disney bought them.

You already mentioned "Wall-E", but there is also "Ratatouille" which I thought was a very clever movie. "Up" is absolutely brilliant, and "Toy Story 3" should have won the Oscar for best picture. Let's not forget the recent "Inside Out" or "Coco", both very good and creative movies.

Yes, not everything has been a home run. "Brave" was good, but had potential to be great. "The Good Dinosaur" was a misfire, "Finding Dory" was good, but I thought it was an unnecessary sequel and I am not a fan of the "Cars" series.

Overall Pixar delivers, even after Disney bought them.

10 hours ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

I think you have to go back to the start of our conversation to know that we were talking about both Disney and Pixar, and then when Disney purchased Pixar (it all got jumbled after that). ?

And to answer your question, yes, we know it is a Disney animation. ?

Alright, my mistake, I didn't quite catch on to that.

So have you seen "Incredibles 2" yet?

2 hours ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

Are there no original ideas left?  How do the studios even find financing for this?

You referring to Jurassic Park and Ocean's 8?

It's super easy to get those financed. They're guaranteed money-makers.

There are tons of original ideas, too, which are harder to get financed because they're more of a gamble.

The Shape of Water last year was a huge success.

2 hours ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

Edited by LeGOATski

On 6/22/2018 at 7:27 PM, dpberr said:

Saw it at the request of my nieces.  If you have seen the others, you've seen this movie....with the exception of how it ends.  Stay for the end credits scene.

I saw Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom today.

I liked it, but the last movie was better. Definitely not what I was expecting, and I see what you mean about this movie having a dark ending, but the other stuff involving Maisie was disturbing as well.

Why was Jeff Goldblum in this movie?

There are some ridiculous moments in this movie, but that's not exactly new with this franchise.

I'm fine if they make more. Dinosaur movies are a good thing.

3 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Def left it open for another

that is if there are any humans left now that they are living amongst us

not looking good for the humans in my opinion

Yes, definitely a cue from the recent Planet of the Apes trilogy.

Edited by Mark Vader

5 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Def left it open for another

that is if there are any humans left now that they are living amongst us

not looking good for the humans in my opinion

There are maybe 20 dinosaurs that are unable to reproduce, mostly herbivores. That’s not exactly a recipe for Armageddon. 

9 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

"Life finds a way"

Not against a competent military.  I hope they pull the plug on the series at this point because if not, it's about to go down a very stupid path.

Sounds like JP is another Meh summer blockbuster with a lot of esplosions but not much plot.     

Incredibles 2 was good. but It follows the culture arc that is going on right now.   It's all about the ladies and men are an afterthought now, only suitable for momentary comedic relief.    

1 hour ago, shrader said:

Not against a competent military.  I hope they pull the plug on the series at this point because if not, it's about to go down a very stupid path.

Didn't it already go that way with The Lost World?

3 hours ago, Wayne Cubed said:

I saw JP, I didn’t hate it, it was just alright. There were some clever moments where they shot some scenes like the first movie, so had some nostalgia but overall the story was just not very good.

Saw it yesterday - same plot - same bad guys get eaten - dinosaurs escape. But wait - now there's a new "secret" island out there.

15 minutes ago, shrader said:

I don't remember a thing about that movie.

That is kinda the point....your expecting realism.

They will make a movie that sells tickets.....

A movie where rapters and T rex have found a way to reproduce and have been using humans as food WILL sell tickets.....hollywood is not about realism

1 hour ago, John from Riverside said:

That is kinda the point....your expecting realism.

They will make a movie that sells tickets.....

A movie where rapters and T rex have found a way to reproduce and have been using humans as food WILL sell tickets.....hollywood is not about realism

I'm not talking about realism.  I'm completely ok with the suspension of belief as long as the story makes sense.  This whole thing expanding to what we're suggesting here (trying to stay somewhat vague for the sake of spoilers) just does not make any sense.  They're going to chase people off quickly if they start trying to make too many leaps.  I kind of wish they left the last one as a standalone because it's all going to go downhill from here.  The fear of being confined in small spaces is what makes these kind of stories go.

Question about The Incredibles. Really, for the opening short film. First, was the egg roll thing supposed to be "real" (within the confines of the movie), or in her imagination? Did it take place all in one day? Was it a metaphor for her real son, or was it some sort of Pinocchio thing turning into a real boy at the end? What am I supposed to think of her husband? Am I overthinking this? 

On 6/26/2018 at 1:36 PM, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

Question about The Incredibles. Really, for the opening short film. First, was the egg roll thing supposed to be "real" (within the confines of the movie), or in her imagination? Did it take place all in one day? Was it a metaphor for her real son, or was it some sort of Pinocchio thing turning into a real boy at the end? What am I supposed to think of her husband? Am I overthinking this? 

Yes

On 6/25/2018 at 3:18 PM, shrader said:

I'm not talking about realism.  I'm completely ok with the suspension of belief as long as the story makes sense.  This whole thing expanding to what we're suggesting here (trying to stay somewhat vague for the sake of spoilers) just does not make any sense.  They're going to chase people off quickly if they start trying to make too many leaps.  I kind of wish they left the last one as a standalone because it's all going to go downhill from here.  The fear of being confined in small spaces is what makes these kind of stories go.

...is why I never use a port-a-john.

• Haha (+1) 1

Saw "Won't You Be My Neighbor?" and, though it wasn't a June movie per se, "First Reformed" was playing at my local backwater theater and I saw that as well.

The documentary was fantastic.  Learned a lot about Fred Rogers the man and the evolution of the show.  Love how they did it, really splendid.

"First Reformed" I thought was good also.  Definitely a Shrader film.  Ethan Hawke was really good and Amanda Seyfried was good as well in a different sort of role than most of the things I've seen her in.  A bit surreal and definitely worth seeing if it hits the independent theater near you.

On 6/25/2018 at 11:23 AM, Mark Vader said:

Didn't it already go that way with The Lost World?

I would say the lost world was better than the new one. At least story wise. While lost world wasn't great, the story made sense and didn't get absurd. The newest one to me took a really stupid turn at the very end. I also found the story of the newest one kinda dumb and somewhat boring. It had entertaining moments, but the more I think about it, the more I disliked the movie 

On 6/23/2018 at 10:06 PM, Mark Vader said:

Alright, my mistake, I didn't quite catch on to that.

So have you seen "Incredibles 2" yet?

Finally saw it. It was good, not great (certainly not up to the first one). Jack-Jack was fabulous, and I loved how they wrote Violet.

Unfortunately, if this was the story they came up with after waiting 14 years, I don't know when they will finally get Incredibles 3 out - 2040? (despite the rumors already circulating that a third one will happen fairly soon)