Tyrod Taylor: I still feel that I’d done more than enough to stay

Tyrod Taylor: I still feel that I’d done more than enough to stay

Posted by Charean Williams on June 1, 2018, 9:06 PM EDT
pft2-e1527901563283.jpg?w=560&h=316&crop
AP

Tyrod Taylor felt he did “more than enough to stay” in Buffalo, but Bills coach Sean McDermott made a decision to move on. Taylor now is the starter in Cleveland for however long he is the starter in Cleveland, and AJ McCarron and Josh Allen have arrived in Buffalo.

Vic Carucci of the Buffalo News asked Taylor when he realized he wasn’t McDermott’s guy.

“Whether I was or whether I wasn’t, I’m not there anymore,” Taylor said. “That’s his decision moving forward. I still feel that I’d done more than enough to stay where I was. But at the end of the day, they made a decision to move forward, and that’s their decision.”

Taylor said McDermott and General Manager Brandon Beane kept him informed of trade talks before the Bills sent him to the Browns on March 9. He said the phone conversation informing him of the trade “wasn’t a bad one.”

“There was actually a positive energy on both sides,” Taylor said.

Taylor has moved on like the Bills have moved on, ready to try to do in Cleveland what he did in Buffalo in helping end the Bills’ long playoff drought.

“I’m excited, happy with the place that I’m at now and the team that I’m playing for, and I’m excited about the opportunity,” he said.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/06/01/tyrod-taylor-i-still-feel-that-id-done-more-than-enough-to-stay/

• Like (+1) 1

Taylor said McDermott and General Manager Brandon Beane kept him informed of trade talks before the Bills sent him to the Browns on March”

smart business when trading your starting qb even though most knew he wasn’t returning 

• Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, Zebrastripes said:

Two games with under 100 passing yards and 6 more with under 200 really isn't doing enough to stay on a NFL team.

I'm really tired of this argument.  Per you, Drew Brees should have been thrown out of the league after 2003: 3 games under 100 passing yards and 4 more under 200 yds (an additional game that just squeaked over that benchmark 202), out of only 11 games started.  Average of only 191 yds passing.  Brees clearly wasn't doing enough to stay on an NFL team.  Ship the bum out of town.  Next year, pro bowl, "comeback player of the year".  Two years later, moves to N'Orleans and the rest is history.

I'm not arguing that the Bills should have kept Tyrod nor that he's Drew Brees, just that the criteria cited are (based on history) not good benchmarks for whether or not a guy is capable of quality QB play in the NFL.

• Like (+1) 9
  • Thank you (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, THE SLAMMER said:

Tyrod Taylor: I still feel that I’d done more than enough to stay

Seriously?  It makes me shudder to think of a professional athlete thinking that mediocre is "enough".

Thanks Tyrod, but no thanks. 

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, Teddy KGB said:

Delusional 

Benched for poor play leaving us with Peterman 

130 yard easily winnable playoff game

Compared to McCarron Taylor is probably objectively correct, and IMO that belief is probably one of the main reasons he was shipped out.  If Taylor were benched for a rookie who then struggled, Taylor might have been outspoken about it and even brought up the race card as he did last fall, which would have been divisive to the team.  I think in the Bills opinion, McCarron is much more likely to be a "good soldier" about any coaching decisions the team makes.

Regarding that playoff game, one might wish to consider that Bortles was 34-155 with 75 yd net passing.  "But Bortles sucks too !" you might say, except that he sucked to the tune of hanging up 378 yds on the Steelers and 374 on the Pats in subsequent games.  My point is JUST MAYBE the weather conditions in Jax had something to do with the passing performance on both sides in that game.

5 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I'm really tired of this argument.  Per you, Drew Brees should have been thrown out of the league after 2003: 3 games under 100 passing yards and 4 more under 200 yds (an additional game that just squeaked over that benchmark 202), out of only 11 games started.  Average of only 191 yds passing.  Brees clearly wasn't doing enough to stay on an NFL team.  Ship the bum out of town.  Next year, pro bowl, "comeback player of the year".  Two years later, moves to N'Orleans and the rest is history.

I'm not arguing that the Bills should have kept Tyrod nor that he's Drew Brees, just that the criteria cited are (based on history) not good benchmarks for whether or not a guy is capable of quality QB play in the NFL.

Except Drew Brees did not have 3 years as a starter and 7 in the league at that point.  Not an apt comparison.  Tyrod is what he is at this point.  He is not Drew Brees about to blossom.  

• Like (+1) 9
  • Thank you (+1) 3

53 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

It’s not the yards, it’s what he did or didn’t do when passing.  

In his 7th season did Drew ever have 4 or 5 games with a QB rating under 45 and 3 games with only 3 points or get benched for a 5th round rookie?

45 minutes ago, MDFan said:

Except Drew Brees did not have 3 years as a starter and 7 in the league at that point.  Not an apt comparison.  Tyrod is what he is at this point.  He is not Drew Brees about to blossom.  

You beat me too it

Edited by ShadyBillsFan
  • Like (+1) 5

He's certainly not going to say, "Yeah, I understand why they dumped me." Instead, he found a diplomatic way to say, "It just didn't work out, so we're both moving on."

• Like (+1) 5

Just now, WhoTom said:

He's certainly not going to say, "Yeah, I understand why they dumped me." Instead, he found a diplomatic way to say, "It just didn't work out, so we're both moving on."

I will say it again.   

Unless you have a franchise QB 99% of new coaches will want to bring in their own QB when that take over.  

Taylor got a free year because of the ??? of available QB’s on the market.   

Imagine if the Bills took the gamble back then and went after Foles !  

Or Keenum.  

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Tyrod image.jpeg.21986c58e7a3591f92084e31e0e6fab3.jpeg

Bills fans 

image.jpeg.30fc5d85512258d10e9b1e75487d6d54.jpeg

?

You WOULD read what Tyrod said as him whining. 

6 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

I will say it again.   

Unless you have a franchise QB 99% of new coaches will want to bring in their own QB when that take over.  

No thanks on foles. Let’s see what he does without a dream team of offensive coaches and a stacked squad around him. 

And I’m soooooo glad we didn’t pursue him this offseason for the eagles asking price. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

It’s not the yards, it’s what he did or didn’t do when passing. 

And that's an entirely valid consideration. 

My point is just that I'm tired of hearing low-yardage passing games thrown out as though they're infallable metrics of a QB's NFL quality.

One can not look at a single-season performance of a QB with <100 yd and <200 yd passing games and say "this guy sucks, he doesn't belong on an NFL team".  Or at least, if one did, one would be kicking a number of very high quality NFL QB off the roster.

Now, if you look at film - as you say "what he did or didn't do when passing" and see Taylor missing open WR and struggling with reads and progressions after 3 years as a starter in a way that makes one question whether he's progressed, that would be a good reason to move on.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 3

I think Tyrod is professional, handled the situation well, but the Bills clearly want a traditional pocket passer.  He had three years as a starter to prove that, but held onto the ball too long, would only throw to clearly open WR, and that is not the norm in the NFL. He was fun with his running game, but we need more than that to go deep in the playoffs, which is one reason we only scored three points in their only playoff game.

i wish him the best and hope he fits what the Browns want.  I also agree with Beane and McDermitt’s decision.  We can only hope AJ can hold down the fort until Allen is ready.  I don’t buy Peterman is now a viable starting QB, but I’m not all the practices.

• Like (+1) 4

8 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

I will say it again.   

Or Keenum.  

I don't think Foles would have come here.  I think he wanted to play for someone in the Reid coaching tree.

We could have gone after Keenum, but does anyone think Keenum would have had the year he had in Minnesota under Dennison instead of Shurmer, and throwing to Thompson and Jones instead of Theilen and Diggs? I know I don't.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

, but does anyone think Keenum would have had the year he had in Minnesota under Dennison instead of Shurmer, and throwing to Thompson and Jones instead of Theilen and Diggs? I know I don't.

Same with foles 

keenum ans foles were qb’s that stepped into absolutely loaded situations. Both players Around them and coaches. 

I think we can all agree ours wasn’t that. 

Edited by Stank_Nasty
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2