Tyrod Taylor: I still feel that I’d done more than enough to stay

3 hours ago, Zebrastripes said:

Two games with under 100 passing yards and 6 more with under 200 really isn't doing enough to stay on a NFL team.

You know we just spent a top 10 pick on a quarterback who averaged 161 yards/ game last year. In the Mountain West.  

I was was not a big Tyrod fan because I didn’t think he was a franchise qb.  But he was certainly solid and I totally get him thinking the way he does.  The Bills hired a WCO OC which was a terrrible fit for his style.  They trade away his best wr a month before the opener and tried to replace him with Jordan Matthews.  We had the least explosive wr core for a qb who’s best strength was throwing deep.  We benched him for a rookie in the middle of a playoff race which could have gotten a coach fired if we missed the playoffs. And after all that, he was the qb who ended the drought.

it was time to move on but the Bills did not put him in the best position to succeed. Odds are Tyrod is a better qb than AJ. Now, it’s on if Josh Allen will be the better qb (which isn’t the slam dunk most think it is).

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Loved Tyrod when he was here, love him now.  Having said that, also could see his limitations.  But he gave our team his all, stabilized a horrific quarterback situation and was a great teammate.  Likely we needed to move on for Bills to take the next step.  But I hope he keeps Baker on the bench and takes the Brownies to the playoffs.  Baltimore and Cinci have windows that closed.  Pittsburgh can't win forever.  Browns with Tyrod vs. Bills with Allen in playoffs would be epic.  Browns. Bills is only game I want Tryod to lose - all class.

• Like (+1) 1

Tyrod Taylor has had one 300 yard passing game in his entire pro career and that was in a loss. I think that stat says it all. Ya sure Buffalo was a running offense but I am not buying that excuse. I wish him the best in Cleveland but I think we have seen his best and it's not good enough 

1 minute ago, bmur66 said:

Tyrod Taylor has had one 300 yard passing game in his entire pro career and that was in a loss. I think that stat says it all. Ya sure Buffalo was a running offense but I am not buying that excuse. I wish him the best in Cleveland but I think we have seen his best and it's not good enough 

Josh Allen had 2 in the Mountain West.  One against Garner Webb and one against UNLV.

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I'm really tired of this argument.  Per you, Drew Brees should have been thrown out of the league after 2003: 3 games under 100 passing yards and 4 more under 200 yds (an additional game that just squeaked over that benchmark 202), out of only 11 games started.  Average of only 191 yds passing.  Brees clearly wasn't doing enough to stay on an NFL team.  Ship the bum out of town.  Next year, pro bowl, "comeback player of the year".  Two years later, moves to N'Orleans and the rest is history.

I'm not arguing that the Bills should have kept Tyrod nor that he's Drew Brees, just that the criteria cited are (based on history) not good benchmarks for whether or not a guy is capable of quality QB play in the NFL.

Brees 3 under 100 yard games were his 22nd, 24th, 27th starts. 

Tyrods 22nd, 24th, 27th starts go as

22nd - 19/38 183 yards 0 TD 0 int

24th - 19/28 166 yards 0 TD 1 int

27th - 15/25 228 yards 2 TD 1 int

Clearly better than Brees 22, 24, 27 who was in his 3rd year compared to Tyrod 6th year and clearly 4 years of backup duties compared to 1 for Brees aided Tyrods numbers to be better at the early stages of both of their starting QB play.

Tyrod two under 100 yard games this past year were game starts 38 and 41

Brees games 38 and 41 starts go as

38th - 28/37 378 yards 2 TD 0 int

41st - 4/6 85 yards 1 TD 0 int, obviously Brees got hurt and couldn't finish the game.

on Brees way to 3100+ yards 27 TD 7 int as 3rd year starter, compared to 2800 yards 14 TD 4 int as 3rd year starter for Tyrod, progression (Brees) opposed to regression (Tyrod)

It's obvious there was steady progression to Brees game whereas Tyrods game showed plateau or regression. Guys with 40+ starts under their belt shouldn't be struggling to average 1 TD and 200 pass yards per game. That is more acceptable of a 3rd year guy 2nd year starter than a 7th year guy 3rd year starter. 

Brees passing talent was apparent early on whereas Tyrod  is now on his 3rd team.

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

You know we just spent a top 10 pick on a quarterback who averaged 161 yards/ game last year. In the Mountain West.  

I was was not a big Tyrod fan because I didn’t think he was a franchise qb.  But he was certainly solid and I totally get him thinking the way he does.  The Bills hired a WCO OC which was a terrrible fit for his style.  They trade away his best wr a month before the opener and tried to replace him with Jordan Matthews.  We had the least explosive wr core for a qb who’s best strength was throwing deep.  We benched him for a rookie in the middle of a playoff race which could have gotten a coach fired if we missed the playoffs. And after all that, he was the qb who ended the drought.

it was time to move on but the Bills did not put him in the best position to succeed. Odds are Tyrod is a better qb than AJ. Now, it’s on if Josh Allen will be the better qb (which isn’t the slam dunk most think it is).

Tyrod wishes he had Josh Allen's arm talent.

34 minutes ago, BuffaloMatt said:

I've said it before and I was a TT supporter. Three points on offense in three different games.:death: (That is also the reason Rico is gone)

Rico was super garbage tho. ALynn put up a lot better number with the same flawed QB and a defense that couldn't stop a nose bleed. How many 3 points games did we have with A Lynn at OC? None.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

Tyrod wishes he had Josh Allen's arm talent.

I mean Allen is bigger and has a stronger arm than Tyrod. So was Jamarcus Russell.

Tyrod was actually a pretty good deep passer, probably the best thing he did throwing.  Again, I was ready for a change at qb.  But I wanna honk they picked the wrong guy.  I pray they prove me wrong.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I mean Allen is bigger and has a stronger arm than Tyrod. So was Jamarcus Russell.

Tyrod was actually a pretty good deep passer, probably the best thing he did throwing.  Again, I was ready for a change at qb.  But I wanna honk they picked the wrong guy.  I pray they prove me wrong.

Yes, and Vince Young was way more mobile than Allen.

You can play that silly game all day long.

4 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Moving on was the right decision for both sides. Tyrod handled himself with class as always. The Bills handled it the right way by keeping him in the loop. 

This. I am impressed with how well he has handled this situation. He is a true professional and I wish him well going forward.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Compared to McCarron Taylor is probably objectively correct, and IMO that belief is probably one of the main reasons he was shipped out.  If Taylor were benched for a rookie who then struggled, Taylor might have been outspoken about it and even brought up the race card as he did last fall, which would have been divisive to the team.  I think in the Bills opinion, McCarron is much more likely to be a "good soldier" about any coaching decisions the team makes.

Regarding that playoff game, one might wish to consider that Bortles was 34-155 with 75 yd net passing.  "But Bortles sucks too !" you might say, except that he sucked to the tune of hanging up 378 yds on the Steelers and 374 on the Pats in subsequent games.  My point is JUST MAYBE the weather conditions in Jax had something to do with the passing performance on both sides in that game.

As bad as bortles was that game he still managed to get 1 td drive. And that was the difference, tyrod couldnt

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I'm sorry, I should have said "an offensive coordinator from the Andy Reid coaching tree", which Dennison most assuredly was NOT

I think Foles would have done pretty well in KC or on the Vikes last year.  Maybe in Houston.  I agree on the right situation, but I think it's more common than n = 1

I can agreee with this. Foles is a much better passer than Tyrod but, similar to TT, he also needs an OC and scheme tailored to his strengths to be effective in the league consistently.

18 minutes ago, Domdab99 said:

I'd much rather have Tyrod than AJ, that's for sure. But without trading Tyrod, we wouldn't have Edmunds....so I think we made out well with that one. 

I can agree with this 100%. Im just hoping Edmunds stays healthy and JA surprises early.

24 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

Yes, and Vince Young was way more mobile than Allen.

You can play that silly game all day long.

I have no idea what you’re saying.  You just said Allen had amazing arm talent and the league is filled with guys with amazing arm talent who did nothing.

i wanted Tyrod to move on and get a new qb. We did that and though it definitely wasn’t the guy I wanted, I hope for the best. But I’m super nervous about him.

20 minutes ago, Domdab99 said:

I'd much rather have Tyrod than AJ, that's for sure. But without trading Tyrod, we wouldn't have Edmunds....so I think we made out well with that one. 

Yeah, getting a high 3rd for Tyrod was shocking.  

He seems like a good guy.  At the of the day he has major limitations that Mcdermott wanted to move on from.   I agree with the decision.  I think Taylor has enough heart and athletic ability to keep your team competitive. He does not have a diverse enough skill set to win consistently .   Cleveland has a ton of weapons and should be a fun team to watch but if they win for the 7 or 8 games i will be very surprised  

• Like (+1) 1

..forget all of the stats crap (highly manipulative to prove one's point or disprove another's)...kid had an excellent work ethic, was a good teammate and espoused leadership on this club.....problem was the passing game would not become a viable threat with him at the helm, especially a downfield threat....5 seconds or less to process the the field is no easy task which was his inherent weakness....makes game planning difficult (inherent and inconsistent weakness of Dennison IMO).....if film study of opponent shows 60/40 (pass/run) plan would work best, I would question his ability to execute notably downfield .....if opposition stacks the box and shuts down run game, I didn't think he could take over a game with a passing attack....situational question: down by 7 in the 4th with 2:18 on the clock and three timeouts, could he execute the 2 minute drill effectively to tie the game up?.....unfortunately I say no......perhaps once, but not if called upon more often.....so we get a 3rd, the kid moves on to a new start and I hope that Jackson can get him moving towards the next level...no harm no foul here....

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy
  • Like (+1) 3