Dead & Company Summer Tour...anyone going?

going to both Camden shows this weekend...might go to Raleigh next weekend, considering SPAC and Darien Lake as well.  Calling for a very wet weekend, so it should be interesting.  Watched the Nugs.TV stream from the Mansfield opener on Wednesday, they busted out a couple song debuts, they seemed to be having a great time on stage.  Bobby was dancing around and Mayer had the Mayer face in full force.  

bus.jpg.f9b4d847d0bb27dfe99750454604289c.jpg

Excited to see them at the Gorge (my favorite venue in the country) and Autzen Stadium (where I've never been before). Last time I saw them at the Gorge, O'Teil partook of a certain substance with the band for the first time ever. I happened to have partaken of the same substance, so it was a great show for me!

The most recent time I saw them, though, was at Madison Square Garden for the first show of the tour. It was clear they had not practiced at all. Missed transitions, forgotten lyrics, glacial tempos, general badness. I don't mind a few stinkers every now and again, it's all a part of "searching for the sound", but this was bad. Here's hoping they're more in the swing of things this time around.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Logic said:

Excited to see them at the Gorge (my favorite venue in the country) and Autzen Stadium (where I've never been before). Last time I saw them at the Gorge, O'Teil partook of a certain substance with the band for the first time ever. I happened to have partaken of the same substance, so it was a great show for me!

The most recent time I saw them, though, was at Madison Square Garden for the first show of the tour. It was clear they had not practiced at all. Missed transitions, forgotten lyrics, glacial tempos, general badness. I don't mind a few stinkers every now and again, it's all a part of "searching for the sound", but this was bad. Here's hoping they're more in the swing of things this time around.

My wife and I will be at the Gorge,  Autzen, and Shoreline, the Gorge is my favorite venue as well  (Red Rocks is #2). We will also be at the Gorge for Phish and DMB this summer. I saw the Dead with Jerry at Autzen 12 times in the 80s and 90s. Going to see Jethro Tull in Troutdale and Bend next weekend, concert season is here! Buffalo 77 was where it all began.

Edited by Turk71

7 hours ago, Augie said:

How does this compare to the 70’s-80’s experience? Sorry, I don’t know much about what to expect today. 

It's a very cool vibe.  If you go in expecting the 70's-80's scene you'll be disappointed.  The 3 original members are still playing really really really well, sure Bobby's growl has lessened a bit and he's keeping the pace a bit slower. The 3 new guys are absolutely killing it.  Jeff Chimenti is on par with Brent, except for the vocals.  Oteil is so friggin hot and smooth up there.  Mayer is Mayer, premier guitarist with a past that doesn't necessarily endear himself to the jam crowd, but his reverence to Jerry and the history of the dead is unquestionable.  He's the real deal.  Now for the crowd.  I watched the crowd a ton last night.  You still have the stoners showing up and just being hippies.  The dancing in the crowd is as vibrant as ever.  The coolest thing is seeing the parents bringing their kids of all ages so they can experience this crazy trip their parents keep taking every summer.  It's very cool to see the community atmosphere play out.  The only negative....the post lot scene and the hippie crack and accompanying nitrous Mafia.  I watched teams of people moving from spot to spot with their tanks and balloons to get to an unoccupied spot or outrun the po-po.  

Bottom line, don't hope to recreate the past, expect new memories and the opportunity for the music of the dead to keep going.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

We've seen D&C two years in a row (and we watched the stream of opening night on Wednesday). They're good - really good - but one thing I've noticed after 20+ years of listening to other people covering Dead songs: Jerry was a highly underrated vocalist. Maybe it's because his guitar playing was so great that it overshadowed his voice, but man, he was a story-teller like no other. Nobody captures the emotion of a song like he did. (Well, Roger Daltrey does, but in a very different style.)

As for D&C, I wish they'd let Oteil sing more often. He's got the best voice in the band. Mayer is a great guitarist, but I'm not a big fan of his voice. And Bobby's singing is fine for his songs, but I think Oteil would do a better job with the Jerry songs. Listen to him sing Fire on the Mountain and imagine how much better Eyes of the World would be with Oteil singing it instead of Bobby or John.

15 hours ago, The Poojer said:

Second set

Fade away
Dark star  15 minutes
St Stephen
Muddy river
Drums and space 9 minutes
Wheel
Diamonds on the soles of her shoes (Paul Simon)
Wharf rat
Fade away
e - ripple

No !@#$ing way! I really, really hope they do this song in WA or OR when I see them.

Who sang? I MUST KNOW MORE!!!

43 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

We've seen D&C two years in a row (and we watched the stream of opening night on Wednesday). They're good - really good - but one thing I've noticed after 20+ years of listening to other people covering Dead songs: Jerry was a highly underrated vocalist. Maybe it's because his guitar playing was so great that it overshadowed his voice, but man, he was a story-teller like no other. Nobody captures the emotion of a song like he did. (Well, Roger Daltrey does, but in a very different style.)

As for D&C, I wish they'd let Oteil sing more often. He's got the best voice in the band. Mayer is a great guitarist, but I'm not a big fan of his voice. And Bobby's singing is fine for his songs, but I think Oteil would do a better job with the Jerry songs. Listen to him sing Fire on the Mountain and imagine how much better Eyes of the World would be with Oteil singing it instead of Bobby or John.

Amen to both bolded statements. Oteil singing "China Doll" is always a highlight. He has an AWESOME voice. They really should let him sing more often.

As for Jerry: I say this all the time, but he's my favorite vocalist of all time. People think that's nuts, and I should clarify that I'm not saying he's the BEST vocalist of all time or even close. I'm saying he's my favorite. Why? It all comes back to the Sam Cooke quote: "A singing voice ought not to be judged by how beautiful it is, buy by how well it is able to convince you that it is telling the truth". What a great quote. I always BELIEVE Jerry. He fully inhabited every song he sang and made each version somehow unique and memorable. His vocals and unmistakable guitar sound are so noticeably missing from every modern iteration of Dead music. It's sad and difficult to listen to sometimes, just from an emotional standpoint. Ken Kesey said it best in his letter to Jerry after he died: 

what really stood
out -- stands out -- is the thundering silence, the lack, the absence of
that golden Garcia lead line, of that familiar slick lick with the uptwist
at the end, that merry snake twining through the woodpile, flickering in
and out of the loosely stacked chords...a wriggling mystery, bright and
slick as fire... suddenly gone. And the silence left in its wake was-- is-- positively ear-splitting.
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Logic said:

I always BELIEVE Jerry. He fully inhabited every song he sang...

Case in point: In the documentary "Long Strange Trip," one of the sound engineers who recorded many of the Europe '72 shows talked about watching a version of Morning Dew from the side of the stage. At one point, he saw Jerry turn away from the audience, apparently because he didn't want the crowd to see the tear that was running down his cheek. That was the version that made it to the album.

2 hours ago, The Poojer said:

Night 2 

Set 1

Hell in a bucket
Hurts me too
Cumberland mine blues
Ship of Fools
Ramble on Rose
The Weight
Music never stopped
Easy Answers

Hurts me Too, Easy Answers? Hot damn! Thanks for posting this!

Now now now, when you're leaving the venue on the mean streets of the Garden State, be sure to artfully dodge the nefarious Nitrous Mafia and all their crazy wookie drama. It's BAD in Jersey! We're all rooting for you. 

• Like (+1) 1

We'll, mother nature remains undefeated.  2 songs into set 2 and the rain and lightening hit and the show was paused and eventually called.  We got a good Playing In The Band and a smoking Uncle John.  Shame it ended like that, but we knew rain was coming and frankly to have made it into the second set was pretty surprising.

Side note.  Set 1 the weight, Bobby broke into a falsetto verse.  He seems to be having an absolute ball on this tour and his voice has been very very weir-like.

This would have been the second set...yikes, that would have been epic

5E8F8035-EA43-4715-ADE1-91FAB126716B.thumb.jpeg.bb77bdc6dd2b9a25c6133f24f57d20ed.jpeg

Edited by The Poojer

14 hours ago, The Poojer said:

We'll, mother nature remains undefeated.  2 songs into set 2 and the rain and lightening hit and the show was paused and eventually called.  We got a good Playing In The Band and a smoking Uncle John.  Shame it ended like that, but we knew rain was coming and frankly to have made it into the second set was pretty surprising.

Side note.  Set 1 the weight, Bobby broke into a falsetto verse.  He seems to be having an absolute ball on this tour and his voice has been very very weir-like.

This would have been the second set...yikes, that would have been epic

5E8F8035-EA43-4715-ADE1-91FAB126716B.thumb.jpeg.bb77bdc6dd2b9a25c6133f24f57d20ed.jpeg

That's too bad, been to over 300 Dead shows and can't remember any that were cut short. I remember 2 shows where people were hit by lightning and was in Noblesville when they cancelled the 2nd Deer Creek show, but the only show I remember being cut short was Steve Miller at Park West Utah when a huge lightning rainstorm suddenly came over the mountain and everybody fled.

• Like (+1) 1

On 6/2/2018 at 2:49 PM, Logic said:

No !@#$ing way! I really, really hope they do this song in WA or OR when I see them.

Who sang? I MUST KNOW MORE!!!

Amen to both bolded statements. Oteil singing "China Doll" is always a highlight. He has an AWESOME voice. They really should let him sing more often.

As for Jerry: I say this all the time, but he's my favorite vocalist of all time. People think that's nuts, and I should clarify that I'm not saying he's the BEST vocalist of all time or even close. I'm saying he's my favorite. Why? It all comes back to the Sam Cooke quote: "A singing voice ought not to be judged by how beautiful it is, buy by how well it is able to convince you that it is telling the truth". What a great quote. I always BELIEVE Jerry. He fully inhabited every song he sang and made each version somehow unique and memorable. His vocals and unmistakable guitar sound are so noticeably missing from every modern iteration of Dead music. It's sad and difficult to listen to sometimes, just from an emotional standpoint. Ken Kesey said it best in his letter to Jerry after he died: 

what really stood
out -- stands out -- is the thundering silence, the lack, the absence of
that golden Garcia lead line, of that familiar slick lick with the uptwist
at the end, that merry snake twining through the woodpile, flickering in
and out of the loosely stacked chords...a wriggling mystery, bright and
slick as fire... suddenly gone. And the silence left in its wake was-- is-- positively ear-splitting.

Nothing wrong with missing Jerry, a whole lot.....

5 shows in and they've yet to repeat a song, and they keep breaking out nice little gems....heading to Raleigh saturday morning for that show...this tour just keeps getting better

5/30/2018 - Mansfield MA 6/1/2018 - Camden, NJ 6/2/2018 - Camden, NJ 6/5/2018 - Cincinnati, OH 6/6/2018 - Noblesville, IN
Set 1 Set 1 Set 1 Set 1 Set 1:
Intro Jack Straw >   Tuning Truckin
Jam
Shakedown Street Cold Rain And Snow   Hell In A Bucket   Big River
The Other One
Alabama Getaway Deep Elem Blues*   Hurts Me Too   They Love Each Other
Dire Wolf
It's All Over Now Jack-A-Roe*   Cumberland Blues   Friend of The Devil
Feel Like a Stranger
Brown Eyed Women Loser*   Ship Of Fools   If I had the World to give
Row Jimmy
Tennessee Jed Bertha >   Ramble On Rose   Sugaree
Mississippi Half-Step Uptown Toodeloo
Bird Song Cassidy >   he Weight   New Speedway Boogie
Comes a Time
Loose Lucy Jack Straw The Music Never Stopped >    
Viola Lee Blues
Bird Song   Easy Answers     

Set 2 Set 2 Set 2 Set 2 Set 2:
Intro Not Fade Away >  Tuning Deal
Help on the Way
Scarlet Begonias Dark Star >  Playing In The Band >   He's Gone
Slipknot!
Fire On The Mountain St. Stephen >   Uncle John's Band >   China Cat Sunflower
Franklin's Tower
Althea Black Muddy River >  The Other One Jam I know You Rider
Terrapin Station
Estimated Prophet Drums >   Drums
Drums
The Other One Jam Space >   Space
Space
Eyes Of The World The Wheel >     Hard Rain
The Other One
Drums Diamonds On The Soles Of Her Shoes >    GDTRFB
Standing on the Moon
Space The Wheel >    US Blues
Sugar Magnolia
Stella Blue Wharf Rat >        
Touch Of Grey Not Fade Away       

Encore:   Encore: Encore:
  Ripple*   Knockin On Heavens Door
Casey Jones
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Yes... JUST got tix for the Alpine Valley, Wisconsin show on 6/22.

I love Alpine Valley, saw the Dead there many times in the 80s, so much fun and memorable times. Hard to believe it was so long ago.

6 hours ago, Turk71 said:

I love Alpine Valley, saw the Dead there many times in the 80s, so much fun and memorable times. Hard to believe it was so long ago.

All these years here, nevet been there... Even for skiing.  Will be a treat.  My son's 20th birthday on the 17th...

• Like (+1) 1

Made the roadie to Raleigh....they did not disappoint, now i am checking on prices for Citifield :D

6/9/2018 - Raleigh, NC
Set 1:
tuning
Cold Rain and Snow
Greatest Story Ever Told
Peggy-O
Mexicali Blues
Tennessee Jed
Bird Song ->
Bertha ->
Bird Song

Set 2:
tuning
Throwing Stones ->
Deal ->
Estimated Prophet ->
Playing in the Band ->
Drums >
Space
The Wheel ->
Diamonds on the Soles of Her Shoes ->
Dear Prudence
One More Saturday Night

Encore:
Ripple

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, The Poojer said:

Made the roadie to Raleigh....they did not disappoint, now i am checking on prices for Citifield :D

6/9/2018 - Raleigh, NC
Set 1:
tuning
Cold Rain and Snow
Greatest Story Ever Told
Peggy-O
Mexicali Blues
Tennessee Jed
Bird Song ->
Bertha ->
Bird Song

Set 2:
tuning
Throwing Stones ->
Deal ->
Estimated Prophet ->
Playing in the Band ->
Drums >
Space
The Wheel ->
Diamonds on the Soles of Her Shoes ->
Dear Prudence
One More Saturday Night

Encore:
Ripple

They seem to play "Space," in the 2nd set of every show.  Must be a good tune.

Edited by Gugny
  • Haha (+1) 2

53 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I like the Dead's albums. I can't take 45 minute long versions of their songs. It's why I'm not a real fan of "jam bands."

I really like the studio albums up to going to heaven or whatever

Dicks Picks have been great birthday gifts over the years, still not ready to launch into the late 80s....

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/7/2018 at 7:27 PM, ExiledInIllinois said:

Yes... JUST got tix for the Alpine Valley, Wisconsin show on 6/22.

Correction: Son ordered tix for 6/23 show (Sat).  Staying that night after show in the town that made beer famous and me a fool last night: Milwaukee.

Well?????

Setlist for last night looked awesome!!

On 6/23/2018 at 8:19 AM, The Poojer said:

Well?????

Setlist for last night looked awesome!!

Sorry for late reply.  We did the 6/24 Saturday Night Show (I thought @ first, when I posted that we were doing Friday show). Went with Son & his Gal's parents. 

First time @ Alpine... Very nice venue. Ski hills dinky, glad I never been there. Place was packed. Beautiful, peace lovers from all over... Nice set list. Amazing how they preform live (First D&Co show)... Mayer is a natural w/the band (of course that's known)... Incredible. Justin Vernon too... Being Saturday, encore was "One More Saturday Night." "All Along the Watchtower" opened 2nd set.  Did my fav, "Friend of Devil" in 1st... Shamelessly shaking my head... ?

Parking lot was brutal getting out... But peaceful (mostly) people @ Dead Shows... They slowly understand co-operation... But hippy liberalism is NOT sustainable, but it takes a while to understand cooperation.  Probably shouldn't have taken my brand spanking new 2018 BMW xDrive but She handled well for a sedan on the semi-dry grass lots... Free parking... Made up for expensive drink... Came back unscathed from tight parking quarters... Next time taking the 12 year old lifted Jeep... Not going full Yuppy next time. But the 2 hour ride room was in luxury... Bit wet, but lawn is steep @ Alpine... Semi-Dry... Drained well after the recent deluges this area had... Beautiful temps, nice over cast day, night, touch of moon peeking in and out.  Should have planned better w/a more waterproof ground cloth... Let the wife pick style over function... /smh... Sweating really bad getting out... Effers all around the new ride... LoL... I am old, got insurance... No way was I giving the key fob to my 20 year old DeadHead son... Didn't want him to shame him too badly either...  LoL... But I was calm on the outside... Little Sunshine/blotter probably would have mellowed me on inside... LoL...

ExpenSIVE concessions... LoL... 2 beers 32 bucks... Then a tip... DeadHeads have come a long way... Trust-fund babies?

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=2196780263672122&id=1144991158851043&refsrc=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2F&_rdr

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=o-RxE0ASYxE

Stayed in Milwaukee Saturday night... Did German Brunch in Milwaukee's "Kaisertown"... Took in Riverwalk and the "Bronze Fonz." Big azz tour boat gives "two whistles" to little kayaks while attempting to go under lift bridge: "Two whistles means your starboard/right to his right!"  Lock operator saves tragedy in Milwaukee on Sunday afternoon... Had to shout to the dumbazzes. Got cheese and meat on way home. ?

FIPs... Bringing the economy to Cheeseland... LoL

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Just saw that Branford Marsalis will be joining Dead & Co on Sunday evening at Lockn. Lockn will be Dead & Co last performances of 2018.

https://liveforlivemusic.com/news/lockn-dead-co-final-shows-2018/

Also, Jason Bonham will be joining Umphrey’s McGee for a set of Zep

https://www.jambase.com/article/branford-marsalis-join-dead-co-jason-bonham-join-umphreys-mcgee-lockn

already got my tix way back but nice to see this update.

• Like (+1) 2

The scenery at the Gorge was outstanding, but I found the set to be somewhat lackluster.

Meanwhile, the Autzen show was OUT OF THIS WORLD. Great crowd, great weather, great set. Tightly played, packed with meaning (DS > El Paso > DS callback to '72 Eugene show, Morning Dew, Brokedown Palace). Mayer's solos at the end of Morning Dew were INSANE. He caught a wave and rode it as far as it was go. He knew it, the crowd knew it...it was absolutely transcendent. It was the best I have seen this band play and the most I have enjoyed a Dead and Company show. 

There is NOTHING like an outdoor Grateful Dead show in the summertime. Nothing. So thankful.

• Like (+1) 1

When this whole D&C thing started there were a bunch of Dead Heads that just put a wall up and refused to listen, simply because of Mayer's pop background, but as they have continued on i have seen and heard a huge shift in attitudes because Mayer has and is doing his best to fit in and not stick out and I think he's done a fantastic job.  Oteil has always been a great addition and this year you are seeing the emergence of Jeff C, while he is no Brent, he is absolutely KILLING it on the keyboards.  When I was at the Camden show iwent to Shakedown with the sole purpose of finding a "John Mayer is Dead to me" t-shirt, i lucked out and found one that was based loosely on the Europe 72 Ice Cream boy logo.  I wore it to Raleigh and I got the reaction I was hoping for....people taking the 'wrong' meaning of the shirt, once they re-read it, i got a lot of really big smiles.

18 minutes ago, Logic said:

The scenery at the Gorge was outstanding, but I found the set to be somewhat lackluster.

Meanwhile, the Autzen show was OUT OF THIS WORLD. Great crowd, great weather, great set. Tightly played, packed with meaning (DS > El Paso > DS callback to '72 Eugene show, Morning Dew, Brokedown Palace). Mayer's solos at the end of Morning Dew were INSANE. He caught a wave and rode it as far as it was go. He knew it, the crowd knew it...it was absolutely transcendent. It was the best I have seen this band play and the most I have enjoyed a Dead and Company show. 

There is NOTHING like an outdoor Grateful Dead show in the summertime. Nothing. So thankful.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, The Poojer said:

When this whole D&C thing started there were a bunch of Dead Heads that just put a wall up and refused to listen, simply because of Mayer's pop background, but as they have continued on i have seen and heard a huge shift in attitudes because Mayer has and is doing his best to fit in and not stick out and I think he's done a fantastic job.  Oteil has always been a great addition and this year you are seeing the emergence of Jeff C, while he is no Brent, he is absolutely KILLING it on the keyboards.  When I was at the Camden show iwent to Shakedown with the sole purpose of finding a "John Mayer is Dead to me" t-shirt, i lucked out and found one that was based loosely on the Europe 72 Ice Cream boy logo.  I wore it to Raleigh and I got the reaction I was hoping for....people taking the 'wrong' meaning of the shirt, once they re-read it, i got a lot of really big smiles.

No Shakedown @ Alpine.  I didn't know that, but son was saying the cops are strict there... Never really researched why this came to be.  Do you know why?

Gotta a few stickers, got to talking with one guy and he gave me a couple he had... I understand the copyright thing... He was even lamenting how they are heavy @ Alpine...

Some municipalities get really anal about the shakedown scene, they aren't getting their tax cut so they don't allow or shut it down.  When i first moved to Philly, i went to a futhur show at the Mann Center.  The The philadelphia license and inspection 'cops' came through and shut down shakedown, it was really f***ing ridiculous.  Since then, both in Camden(NJ) and S. Philly, shakedowns have been set up in full force and it's one of my favorite parts of the lot scene, even though I rarely buy anything.

13 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

No Shakedown @ Alpine.  I didn't know that, but son was saying the cops are strict there... Never really researched why this came to be.  Do you know why?

Gotta a few stickers, got to talking with one guy and he gave me a couple he had... I understand the copyright thing... He was even lamenting how they are heavy @ Alpine...

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 6/12/2018 at 11:16 AM, row_33 said:

I really like the studio albums up to going to heaven or whatever

Dicks Picks have been great birthday gifts over the years, still not ready to launch into the late 80s....

I haven’t played their studio albums in years, and most of them were 1-and-done for me. I exclusively listen to 60’s and 70’s shows. I’m not saying early 80’s and some of the later shows aren’t good, but what’s the point when you’ve got tons of vintage material.

because there were different sounds that evolved and added new textures, personally, I think some of Brent Mydland years took it to another level.  Sure there are dud years in there, but it's fun to listen to the different styles throughout the years.

8 minutes ago, Rico said:

I haven’t played their studio albums in years, and most of them were 1-and-done for me. I exclusively listen to 60’s and 70’s shows. I’m not saying early 80’s and some of the later shows aren’t good, but what’s the point when you’ve got tons of vintage material.