Ice Cream

On 5/27/2018 at 9:32 PM, Gray Beard said:

Wow.  When I lived in that area it was one ice cream shop. Now it’s got multiple locations and includes amusement park attractions. They must be doing something right. Good for them. 

The place was insanely busy the couple times I was there.  I have no idea how they grow from ice cream to that.

I know it's only Rocky Road, but I like it.

fl_icecream_rockyroad_hero.jpg

Any premium brand will do. My wife worked in an ice cream factory when she was in college. One thing she told me: never eat cheap chocolate ice cream.

On 5/27/2018 at 8:44 AM, PromoTheRobot said:

Richardson Farm, Middleton, MA. Chocolate Almond Frozen Yogurt. Rich, chocolatey, loaded with almonds, can't even tell it's not ice cream. Only 190 calories a serving.

My aunt lives about half a mile from that place. There is an ice cream place in Fremont NH that also sells Richardson’s. Excellent. 

1 minute ago, joesixpack said:

When I was a kid, my grandmother used to get ice cream from Stewart's convenience stores for us.

Holy mother of God.

That was the good ****.

Stewart's ice cream is damn good.

Most people around here get all jacked up over Martha's.  That's more tradition, than anything.  Great ice cream.  But is it even possible to !@#$ up ice cream?

I like Perry's Ice Cream, too.  There's a place on Rt. 149 heading toward Fort Ann called the Hillbilly Fun Park (mini golf) that sells Perry's.  It's delicious.

1 minute ago, Gugny said:

Most people around here get all jacked up over Martha's.  That's more tradition, than anything.  Great ice cream.  But is it even possible to !@#$ up ice cream?

I like Perry's Ice Cream, too.  There's a place on Rt. 149 heading toward Fort Ann called the Hillbilly Fun Park (mini golf) that sells Perry's.  It's delicious.

Is it still? It's been probably 28 years or so since I've been up to Glens Falls. I'm surprised to hear it still exists.

Is it still? It's been probably 28 years or so since I've been up to Glens Falls. I'm surprised to hear it still exists.

Stewart's stores are everywhere up here.

Just now, joesixpack said:

I'm planning on taking my girl to Montreal/Quebec possibly as soon as next year. So We'll be sure to stop in Glens Falls.

Cool.  Would actually be a good/close to mid-point place to stop.  Keep me posted.

• Like (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

My aunt lives about half a mile from that place. There is an ice cream place in Fremont NH that also sells Richardson’s. Excellent. 

Yes. A lot of NH joints sell Richardson's. But I will make the hour drive to get half gallons from the source. Another good ice cream is in Belmont, NH: Jordan's.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

57 minutes ago, Andrew in CA said:

Soft serve: black raspberry from Kurver Kreme in Albany.

Hard: pistachio from Tollgate in Slingerlands.

Store brand: butter pecan from Tillamook.

MY MAN

For a CA guy you have pretty good taste in Capital Region ice cream :D 

39 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

I'm planning on taking my girl to Montreal/Quebec possibly as soon as next year. So We'll be sure to stop in Glens Falls.

Stop in downtown Albany instead.  There are more Stewart's and I'm actually fun, unlike certain Asian midgets in redneckville, NY

11 minutes ago, LeviF91 said:

MY MAN

Stop in downtown Albany instead.  There are more Stewart's and I'm actually fun, unlike certain Asian midgets in redneckville, NY

Smallbany has a downtown?

:unsure:

16 minutes ago, LeviF91 said:

MY MAN

Grew up in the Capital Region, and still get back to see family/friends about once a year!

2 minutes ago, LeviF91 said:

That I'm helping to gentrify.  Now with breweries!

And a distillery!

19 minutes ago, LeviF91 said:

MY MAN

Reported.

• Haha (+1) 1

Only if we can take a field trip to troy.

:lol:

Troy is actually pretty fun now.  Nice little section with a brewery, Dinosaur BBQ, Biergarten, and a local dive all across the street from one another.  Get further up towards downtown Troy and you can have the third best wings in the region (but they have the best bleu cheese).  Go up towards the burgh and you find the best wings in the region.

3 minutes ago, Andrew in CA said:

Grew up in the Capital Region, and still get back to see family/friends about once a year!

And a distillery!

Forgot about the new distillery.  I still haven't been.  Walk past it once in a while and can never tell if it's open :lol: 

Texas is known for their Blue Bell. I think Blue Bell is good, but honestly don't get the hype. It's good, but a bit overpriced. I prefer HEB store brand. 

Recently went to a place called Sub Zero. They basically make the ice cream right in front of you. Mix in the cream, flavoring, etc, then spray liquid nitrogen on it to instantly freeze it. 

1 hour ago, Andrew in CA said:

Soft serve: black raspberry from Kurver Kreme in Albany.

Hard: pistachio from Tollgate in Slingerlands.

Store brand: butter pecan from Tillamook.

I used to go to the Portland area to visit relatives. Tillamook cheese, yogurt, ice cream :thumbsup:

Salted caramel in a cone while walking along the tourist strip in Cannon Beach :thumbsup:

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

Stewart’s, Perry’s and Mercer’s are all good and local to upstate NY. 

There’s also a mom and pop ice cream stand near me that has pistachio soft serve. :thumbsup:

3 hours ago, Sweats said:

I’m lactose intolerant......can’t eat ice cream and no one wants to be in the same room when I do.

True story

Have you tried the non-dairy versions out there? I haven’t but since lactose intolerance is relatively common, I wondered if they’ve come out with some good alternatives 

4 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

WOW forgot about charlap's.

I remember when I was in grade school we took a field trip there. BEST field trip ever.

We had a bus driver who would take us there on the last day of the school year.  There was nothing more horrible than waiting for the bus on the first day of school only to find out that she had been switched to a different route.

On 5/27/2018 at 8:56 AM, Gray Beard said:

Does anyone know if Kimball’s ice cream in Westford, MA is still there? That was THE place to go when I was in high school. 

Alive and well and very busy - it's a huge operation now - they have the ice cream, a farm/gift store, a grill tent that does hamburgers/hot dogs or even full lobster bakes if you want to get fancy, mini golf, pitch and putt, bumper boats - that place is always packed....

7 hours ago, The Avenger said:

Alive and well and very busy - it's a huge operation now - they have the ice cream, a farm/gift store, a grill tent that does hamburgers/hot dogs or even full lobster bakes if you want to get fancy, mini golf, pitch and putt, bumper boats - that place is always packed....

I lived in that area in the 1970s. It was a very popular ice cream stand. One of the kids was in my high school class, but I didn’t really know him. I remember he had a nice car for a high school kid. That should have tipped me off that business was better than I would have thought. I think I’ve been back to that area twice in the last thirty years, and I haven’t been to the ice cream stand in about forty years. 

13 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

There is still one in Hamburg, I think 

edit: looked it up, Hamburg and West Seneca

Yeah but it’s been about 20 years now since they did everything on site. It’s not technically the same place/business that it was originally. 

2 minutes ago, shrader said:

Yeah but it’s been about 20 years now since they did everything on site. It’s not technically the same place/business that it was originally. 

Oh I see (I haven’t been there in about that long)

Is Antoinette’s still around?

On 5/30/2018 at 3:48 PM, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

Texas is known for their Blue Bell. I think Blue Bell is good, but honestly don't get the hype. It's good, but a bit overpriced. I prefer HEB store brand. 

Recently went to a place called Sub Zero. They basically make the ice cream right in front of you. Mix in the cream, flavoring, etc, then spray liquid nitrogen on it to instantly freeze it. 

I've seen those at my Kroger.  I will try one next time.  The small container is more expensive than the Kroger Brand but will splurge at your recommendation from time to time.