77% were wrong believing our HC wouldn't be fooled by the mirage of preseason, but the Allen Era begins week 2!

3 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

I will if he earns the job and isn't given a handout. As soon as he proves he can outperform the guy above him on a consistent basis, start him. No free lunch.

Well... he outperformed him yesterday and although Peterman played well against Carolina, he wasn't challenging the D in the way Allen was.

And by the way, shouldn't this criteria be the same in reverse? Peterman hasn't been consistently outperforming anyone in camp...

Why do you want to give him a free lunch? Is it a bagged lunch you're used to packing him? Was I mistaken earlier... you're his Mom, not his wife?

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Well... he outperformed him yesterday and although Peterman played well against Carolina, he wasn't challenging the D in the way Allen was.

And by the way, shouldn't this criteria be the same in reverse? Peterman hasn't been consistently outperforming anyone in camp...

Why do you want to give him a free lunch? Is it a bagged lunch you're used to packing him? Was I mistaken earlier... you're his Mom, not his wife?

Troll attempt 0/10. Try again. You can ignore reality if it suits your palette. Plenty of people do these days. Allen had a great game yesterday. I have no motive to take that away from him. However, Peterman's game was even better. The guy has been neck and neck with McCarron in camp, at worst, from every single report, and he's drastically outperformed everyone in live games.

I get it - you're excited. It's natural. But Allen, to this point, has still been second best. You should be excited for the fact that we have two QBs doing well, instead of trying to tear one down to forward an agenda 

Edited by BullBuchanan
  • Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

Troll attempt 0/10. Try again. You can ignore reality if it suits your palette. Plenty of people do these days. Allen had a great game yesterday. I have no motive to take that away from him. However, Peterman's game was even better. The guy has been neck and neck with McCarron in camp, at worst, from every single report, and he's drastically outperformed everyone in live games.

I get it - you're excited. It's natural. But Allen, to this point, has still been second best. You should be excited for the fact that we have two QBs doing well, instead of trying to tear one down to forward an agenda 

This is how I feel.

I think Allen has a chance to become a very good QB. I'm in the pro-Allen camp. However I think Peterman can be a very good QB too and I think currently he's better.

There's so many Bills fans that refuse to accept that Peterman can and has shown some really good things. Their bias is pathetic.

• Like (+1) 1

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.democratandchronicle.com/amp/1077552002

Josh Allen gets his big chance to win Bills' QB job: Here's what to watch for

But the fact that Allen’s opportunity comes in this game is naturally intriguing because as we all know, teams around the NFL treat the third preseason match as the dress rehearsal for the regular season, then use the fourth game to play as many young kids as possible so they can make their final cases to earn a roster spot.

This is the game where the starters will play at least the first half, and probably into the third quarter. Allen will have a longer stint with the first-unit offense than McCarron or Peterman had, and it’s clear that McDermott wants to see how Allen handles it all.

and 

If he nails it, don’t be surprised if Allen starts against the Ravens on Sept. 9. If he doesn’t, then it seems likely that Peterman or McCarron will get the nod, which is what many of us expected in the first place after listening to McDermott say on numerous occasions that he didn’t want to rush Allen into a situation he wasn’t ready for.

Is he ready, though? Can Allen stick the landing and make a compelling case to win the job this week? Here are three things I’ll be watching.

1. Does Allen command the huddle?

2. Is he making the right decisions?

3. Is he throwing the ball accurately?

On 8/19/2018 at 10:52 AM, suorangefan4 said:

This is how I feel.

I think Allen has a chance to become a very good QB. I'm in the pro-Allen camp. However I think Peterman can be a very good QB too and I think currently he's better.

There's so many Bills fans that refuse to accept that Peterman can and has shown some really good things. Their bias is pathetic.

...certainly agree.....the kid was a 5th rounder, a DAMN FIFTH!.......and all he does is work harder to get better.....probably still in camp due to McD's sympathy, right?.....what if this kid came remotely close to being a Reich type, solid backup?....naw, no way in hell we'd want that...SMH....

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

Gotta be honest, I might disagree with Vic’s take here... we might need to throw Peterman it McCarron to the wolves and pray they rise to the occasion while putting Allen on bubble wrap because our starting OL might be historically bad, but...

https://buffalonews.com/2018/08/26/vic-carucci-bills-still-should-make-allen-opening-day-starter/?utm_term=Autofeed&utm_campaign=puma&utm_medium=social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1535334589

Vic Carucci: Bills still should make Allen opening-day starter

Allen showed the proper level of maturity and leadership to resist any urge to point fingers. He rightfully accepted some of the blame for not always being quick enough to make throws, no doubt because he wasn't always sure of what he was seeing across the line from an accomplished and well-coached defense.

"I didn't do a good enough job getting the ball out on time, getting it to our playmakers," Allen said. "You know, holding onto the ball is not going be too great most of the time. I've got to do a better job, but there's a lot to learn from."

and

Yes, Peterman looked far more impressive. He needed only two throws to account for more passing yards (35) than Allen had in six completions. He looked more poised and in control. Peterman also wasn't going up against pass-rushing stud Carl Lawson, who had two-and-a-half of the five sacks, or Dunlap or any of the Bengals' other front-liners.

For the record, Allen didn't see his performance as a backward step.

"No, not at all," he said. "Getting out there with the ones, obviously, it's moving really fast. To see that speed, it was eye-opening. They have a really good defense and they came out and they brought it.

"But at the same time, we had plays in place where they could have worked if I got the ball out on time. It just didn't happen enough tonight, but like I said, we'll just continue to grow."

and

So how long is long enough to wait before putting Allen on the field? What is the sense in allowing Peterman to take a beating in the meantime? What will that prove, other than McDermott, his coaching staff and General Manager Brandon Beane losing valuable time to get Allen experience?

Edited by transplantbillsfan

7 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Gotta be honest, I might disagree with Vic’s take here... we might need to throw Peterman it McCarron to the wolves and pray they rise to the occasion while putting Allen on bubble wrap because our starting OL might be historically bad, but...

https://buffalonews.com/2018/08/26/vic-carucci-bills-still-should-make-allen-opening-day-starter/?utm_term=Autofeed&utm_campaign=puma&utm_medium=social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1535334589

Vic Carucci: Bills still should make Allen opening-day starter

Allen showed the proper level of maturity and leadership to resist any urge to point fingers. He rightfully accepted some of the blame for not always being quick enough to make throws, no doubt because he wasn't always sure of what he was seeing across the line from an accomplished and well-coached defense.

"I didn't do a good enough job getting the ball out on time, getting it to our playmakers," Allen said. "You know, holding onto the ball is not going be too great most of the time. I've got to do a better job, but there's a lot to learn from."

and

Yes, Peterman looked far more impressive. He needed only two throws to account for more passing yards (35) than Allen had in six completions. He looked more poised and in control. Peterman also wasn't going up against pass-rushing stud Carl Lawson, who had two-and-a-half of the five sacks, or Dunlap or any of the Bengals' other front-liners.

For the record, Allen didn't see his performance as a backward step.

"No, not at all," he said. "Getting out there with the ones, obviously, it's moving really fast. To see that speed, it was eye-opening. They have a really good defense and they came out and they brought it.

"But at the same time, we had plays in place where they could have worked if I got the ball out on time. It just didn't happen enough tonight, but like I said, we'll just continue to grow."

and

So how long is long enough to wait before putting Allen on the field? What is the sense in allowing Peterman to take a beating in the meantime? What will that prove, other than McDermott, his coaching staff and General Manager Brandon Beane losing valuable time to get Allen experience?

The sense is it will be Peterman taking the beating, not Allen. Allen will get in there soon enough ( probably by mid season when they’re out of the playoffs) and hopefully the OL issues are worked out somewhat. 

• Sad 1

On 5/22/2018 at 5:40 PM, transplantbillsfan said:

I think it's Josh Allen.

I'll be fine if McCarron wins it.

I'll be absolutely floored if Peterman wins it... I think he's more likely on the practice squad than under center week 1.

I think Allen has like a 57% chance.

McCarron has maybe a 38% chance.

Peterman has a 5% chance, if that.

Allen is obviously the choice of this regime long term. Beane has questioned publicly the media perception of Allen as "raw." Dabol said he has a plan for him and was said to be on him like white on rice all rookie minicamp.

It just feels inevitable that the most talented QB who's already the Apple of McBeane's Eyes will win the starting job against one scrub with a noodle arm and one QB with some potential, 4 years on the bench and a handful of quality NFL starts, but also a guy who made it through the 1st wave of Free Agency before Beane finally settling on him.

The physical ability is there. The smarts are there. The experience under center is there. The work ethic is there.

#17 under center on Sunday, September 9th in Baltimore...

what say you?

So Peterman 5% chance?

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GreggTX said:

Petermann has had the best preseason by a mile, but unfortunately, against the other teams' 2's and 3's. I don't want Josh anywhere near the field until he and his OL are ready.

I just think there's more to this preseason than Peterman's production.

Don't you get the sense that it's manufactured production?

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bm_hoi3hzI7/

McDermott admitted Daboll showed too much on offense vs the Panthers, thus severely holding the offense back, since then, making it difficult to grade the other QBs.

I don't think anyone has a clue at this point, but I'll stick with my original prediction that Allen is our starting QB week 1.

I think that last preseason game shuffling OL in and out was as much a test as anything else. Allen definitely didn't produce the way he had the previous 2 games, but he also protected the football... something McDermott clearly values considering he gave Picked-off-again Peterman just a half before recommitting to Taylor as the starter last year.

I think McDermott simply can't ignore the pick-six per game that Peterman is solely because of his weak arm.

I think that there's a good chance that this preseason was as much about building up Peterman's confidence again after his abysmal start in his limited regular season action as it was about seeing if Allen is ready to start yet.

After all, backup QBs might need to play, and if they do, you'll prefer they don't throw 5 INTs in a half.

Both of those missions look like they're about accomplished.