Hard Knocks 2018: The Cleveland Browns

4 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I'm listening to Dan Patrick right now.  He said that he spoke with someone that has sources in the Browns organization and they never considered Josh Allen...it was just a smokescreen.  They knew that Buffalo wanted Allen and wanted to move up....

I believe it.  Allen was a risk, and with the train wreck the Browns are and sheer number of first-round busts they've had, they couldn't afford to take that chance.  Could you imagine the fallout if Cleveland took him at #1 and he ended up being a bust?

IM DOUBLING DOWN!  On two opinions I have shared here before that others seem to strongly disagree with.

1. Baker Mayfield is the best QB prospect in this draft.  I am beyond excited for drafting Josh Allen, so not a knock on him because there can be more than 1 great QB to come out of a draft.  But that being said...I said all college football season that I thought Baker would be our pick until he outplayed even those expectations and went #1 overall.  I have no idea how some of you come up with some of your haterade opinions like thinking he seemed entitled in this episode.  Nothing he did or said in anyway shape or form gave off a negative impression.  All the QB's made sarcastic comments on the RV...every single one of them...but some of you want to over analyze a comment by Baker and somehow turn it into entitlement?  LMAO.  This kid showed poise, leadership, confidence, and maturity and backed it up on the field.  This kid has a huge future IMO in the NFL, even if he is stuck in Cleveland. 
  2. Jarvis Landry is one of the most underrated players in the NFL and his talent far exceeds his low average per catch that saddled his stats because of a terrible offensive situation in Miami.  This dude can straight ball, but people around here mock him as a top WR because of YPC while catching passes from trash on a sub par team with sub par coaching.  One thing I didn't know about him was is strong work eithic, focus, and family oriented he is.  Doesn't seem to have that WR diva stereotype I think a lot of people assumed he had.  

I hope the Bills get on this show sometime, its hilarious at all the fear mongering propaganda that goes on around here in regards to the Bills being on Hard Knocks.  Its a great show and I think the Bills would do great being on it and I for one would love to see behind the curtain as well, not just the players, but Beane and McD and the rest of the staff.  

Edited by Alphadawg7

1 minute ago, Alphadawg7 said:

1. Jarvis Landry is one of the most underrated players in the NFL and his talent far exceeds his low average per catch that saddled his stats because of a terrible offensive situation in Miami.  This dude can straight ball, but people around here mock him as a top WR because of YPC while catching passes from trash on a sub par team with sub par coaching.  One thing I didn't know about him was is strong work eithic, focus, and family oriented he is.  Doesn't seem to have that WR diva stereotype I think a lot of people assumed he had.  .  

I have a hard time respecting a dirty player like Landry who doesn't respect his opponents. He's got talent, unquestionably, but his actions on the field betray his lack of heart. Don't fall for the PR spin on a polished piece like this. Landry revealed the type of "man" he was with that cheap/dangerous shot on A-Will. Actions speak louder to his character and makeup than any puff piece will.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

I have a hard time respecting a dirty player like Landry who doesn't respect his opponents. He's got talent, unquestionably, but his actions on the field betray his lack of heart. Don't fall for the PR spin on a polished piece like this. Landry revealed the type of "man" he was with that cheap/dangerous shot on A-Will. Actions speak louder to his character and makeup than any puff piece will.

Sorry, but this board way over exaggerates that play and this place is full of hypocrites.  So many complain about the NFL softening the game, then you guys paint a player as being something he is not over one play that had an unfortunate result where he was just trying to lay a big block in the heat of battle in the red zone.  You can see the dispair on Landry's face at the result of the play and accidentally hurting AW.  He went out and tried to throw a big block, and AW unfortunately sustained another injury out of it.  

This play is NOTHING like what Gronk did, it was clearly an attempt at a big block in the heat of battle, not a premeditated dirty play.  Landry does not have a reputation for being a dirty player, in fact, if this play happened against any other team no one here would even mention it.  If AW didn't get hurt, no one here would even mention it.  This is false lore around this place.  So the only "PR Spin" anyone is falling for is the false narrative this board has made up about this play and this player.  There are countless plays substantially more dirty than this play in the NFL every year, hell Hughes is good for a couple himself.  

13 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

I agree on Landry. I actually think he’s overrated. He’s a good player but nowhere near what they are building him up to be in Cleveland. He got shipped out of Miami because he wasn’t the type of player Gase wanted around and all of a sudden he’s some bevy of work ethic and culture and leadership? Please. He may be the most consistent offensive player they’ve had in a while but there is a ton of overkill taking place on the hype. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Alphadawg7 said:

Sorry, but this board way over exaggerates that play and this place is full of hypocrites.  So many complain about the NFL softening the game, then you guys paint a player as being something he is not over one play that had an unfortunate result where he was just trying to lay a big block in the heat of battle in the red zone.  You can see the dispair on Landry's face at the result of the play and accidentally hurting AW.  He went out and tried to throw a big block, and AW unfortunately sustained another injury out of it.  

Disagree, that's slowed down and a poor angle. It was a terribly dirty hit and that look on his face was a man who knew he did it dirty. It ended the man's career and was a point of emphasis all year long (crack backs). It was a dirty play, by a guy who doesn't give a !@#$ about anything but himself. Sorry, Landry has talent but he's got a 10 cent head and no heart. 

He proved it on that play, and reinforces it consistently on the field.

2 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

This play is NOTHING like what Gronk did, it was clearly an attempt at a big block in the heat of battle, not a premeditated dirty play. 

It wasn't anything like Gronk's play. Gronk's was worse. Agreed there. The only similarity between the two plays was my disappointment that the benches didn't empty. 

• Like (+1) 1

Love this show.

The Landry footage was telling in a bunch of different ways. I've had mixed feelings on the guy. He used to be one of my favorite non-Bills to watch- I just loved the way he played the game- until he ended Aaron Williams' career with a cheap hit.

-- He clearly recognized the dysfunctional culture in Cleveland. The place looked lazy to him.

-- He is nuts.

-- He is a highly motivated, and works hard.

-- He likes Tyrod.

-- He's super religious.

-- He's arrogant as hell.

-- He's a really good WR.

2 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

This play is NOTHING like what Gronk did, it was clearly an attempt at a big block in the heat of battle, not a premeditated dirty play.  Landry does not have a reputation for being a dirty player, in fact, if this play happened against any other team no one here would even mention it.  If AW didn't get hurt, no one here would even mention it.  This is false lore around this place.  So the only "PR Spin" anyone is falling for is the false narrative this board has made up about this play and this player.  There are countless plays substantially more dirty than this play in the NFL every year, hell Hughes is good for a couple himself.  

Agree it wasn't as bad as Gronk's hit. Gronk should have been arrested for that.

But, it was a dirty hit after the whistle. No excuse.

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I agree on Landry. I actually think he’s overrated. He’s a good player but nowhere near what they are building him up to be in Cleveland. He got shipped out of Miami because he wasn’t the type of player Gase wanted around and all of a sudden he’s some bevy of work ethic and culture and leadership? Please. He may be the most consistent offensive player they’ve had in a while but there is a ton of overkill taking place on the hype. 

I always figured he was a bit underrated having Tannehill, who has such an inaccurate long ball, throwing to him.

Edited by Rocky Landing
  • Like (+1) 2

54 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Disagree, that's slowed down and a poor angle. It was a terribly dirty hit and that look on his face was a man who knew he did it dirty. It ended the man's career and was a point of emphasis all year long (crack backs). It was a dirty play, by a guy who doesn't give a !@#$ about anything but himself. Sorry, Landry has talent but he's got a 10 cent head and no heart. 

He proved it on that play, and reinforces it consistently on the field.

It wasn't anything like Gronk's play. Gronk's was worse. Agreed there. The only similarity between the two plays was my disappointment that the benches didn't empty. 

We will have to agree to disagree.  Thats a homerism view of the play IMO.  And thats fine, but IMO one play does not define a person.  If you play football, crap happens in the heat of battle.  I agree it was an illegal hit, even a dirty hit...but I whole heartedly disagree it defines his character or was intentionally done to be illegal or hurt AW.  

Now if he has a history of plays like this, I would see your point...but he doesn't.  And quite frankly, there are bigger and more dirty hits every single season, and again, I have seen our own players make plays like this.  Landry is no Suh...he put a big shoulder block on a safety.  It was ruled defenseless and got a penalty...that penalty occurs tons of times every NFL season.  You could tell Landry felt bad about the situation after the fact, clearly wasn't out to intentionally lay an illegal and injury causing play.  

I would bet any amount of money that had either this play occurred against a different team or this play not resulted in AW not playing again that no one on this board would feel Landry is a dirty player.  But because it was against the Bills, and injury riddle AW sustained another neck injury that eventually led to him retiring, this play is blown out of proportion into a character defining play.  I get it, we always stick up for our players...I just trying to stay unbiased in the assessment of this play.

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, leonbus23 said:

Before watching the first episode, I thought the Browns may win a few games this year because of the young and new talent, etc. 

After watching the first episode, no way. They will lose at least 14 games this season. Hue Jackson, Josh McDaniels, and Gregg Williams are the worst coaching trio in the league. They make Kay Stephenson's staff look like Lombardi, Landry, and Shula. 

Josh McDaniels?

Guess that Florio saw the same disfunction in that coaches meeting

Hard Knocks debut foreshadows potential dysfunction

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/08/08/clevelands-hard-knocks-debut-foreshadows-potential-dysfunction/

Also of interest (for the person a few pages that said the Browns were editing the footage to make Coleman look bad):

Although the Browns (supposedly) have no editorial control over the show, they have the ability to screen the show in advance, in the hopes of squashing any content of a “competitive nature.” 

5 hours ago, stevewin said:

Every time I see him I want to take a shower

He is the definition of doosh

i used to see him on the sidelines or on tv when he was here and nothing stood out more than those carp lips. looks like a character on sponge bob or something....jmo

2 hours ago, leonbus23 said:

True. I think pot transcends political, ethnic, and economic (class) boundaries. My ultra conservative, hyper-patriotic, Trump supporter cousin partakes daily, and so does my Latino, immigration activist, starving musician buddy.  When they hang out together, it is always peaceful and fun!

I think when it becomes legal for recreation in most states (although, parts of the south and mid-west will lag behind in legalization), that the NFL should change its policy.

Marijuanamap.gif 

agree 100% i doubt there is any substantial performance enhancing effects from smoking a bowl the day before a game....

BULLETS AND GUN PARTS IN CAR... DURING WEED BUST

8/8/2018 10:29 AM PDT

Antonio Callaway had gun parts and ammunition in his car (in addition to weed) when he was pulled over in Ohio ... and the police video obtained by TMZ Sports shows it made the lead officer get "real nervous."

The Cleveland Browns rookie WR -- selected in the 4th round of the 2018 NFL Draft -- was pulled over on August 5 at 2:59 AM in Strongsville, Ohio for a routine traffic violation. 

The cop smelled weed and searched the car -- finding a small amount of marijuana under the driver's seat ... along with the backstrap of a Glock firearm and several rounds of ammo. 

You can see the officer gets very serious when he finds the bullets and gun parts -- ordering Callaway to put his hands in the air and stay put. 

Antonio told the officer there was NO gun in the car -- just the parts. The officer eventually verified Callaway's claim, but admits to his partner he got anxious when he found the bullets. 

In the end, the officer realizes Antonio is a Cleveland Browns player and admitted he felt bad busting him ... since he didn't appear drunk or high and was super polite during the arrest. 

At one point, the officer admits he's excited to watch Callaway play -- saying he's "fast as sh*t."

That part's true -- he ran the 40 in 4.41 seconds