Nice Article on Austin Proehl

https://www.google.com/amp/s/247sports.com/college/north-carolina/Bolt/North-Carolina-Tar-Heels-Football-NFL-Draft-Leaves-UNC-Wide-Receiver-Austin-Proehl-Speechless-117849875/Amp

great kid and seems like a super hard worker. Exactly what you want out of a late round pick

has NFL pedigree with his father so he should be mentally prepared for the rigors... can eventually maybe become a #4 or even #3 someday 

i like his hands and sneaky speed

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

I like this pickup a lot.  He's quicker and faster than what many people think, he's a good route runner and he has pedigree. He'll at the very least make the practice squad and wouldn't be surprised that he gets called up at some point during the year.

6 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

I did not like the last player we got who referred the people home as "my people" as in "I want my people to watch me on TV".

I wish you would let “my people” go...

• Haha (+1) 3

His skill set sort of parallels Edelman's too.  Not to suggest Proehl is as good or anything, but his strength is creating separation in the short passing game with quickness and precise route running.  He might have better pure speed than Edelman as he runs in the low 4.4 range.

26 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Question: two picks from the end of the NFL draft do you want to be drafted or do you want to be an UDFA with your choice of landing spots? 

I'd have to say drafted...gotta be a feeling about just saying I was drafted by"" ""...

plus , even tho your a 7th rounder, its still got to be more $$ then an udfa gets

Edited by Tsaikotic

28 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Question: two picks from the end of the NFL draft do you want to be drafted or do you want to be an UDFA with your choice of landing spots?

There was an article about this...*rummage rummage* can't find it if I do I'll come back and link

The key points of the article were that there's a trade-off:

-UDFA have the advantage that they can talk to different teams and potentially choose where they go.  They will get the same NFL rminimum salary except....

-Drafted players even at the end of the 7th round get a signing bonus over $100k, if I recall correctly the article said it was typically $170k

-UFDA get ~10x smaller signing bonus

-teams are also more restricted in the tender they put on RFA who were undrafted, so if you stick in the league, having been an UDFA may give you more choice down the road

So there you go.  I think in the near term, it comes down to "do you want an extra $170k in your bank account this year, or do you want to choose your team?"

Since choice is still restricted to what teams actually call with an offer, I would think the extra $170,000 bonus would be pretty chill.

• Like (+1) 1

Cheers Hapless. Would be interested in seeing the article if you can find it.  

It was a genuine question as well I can see both sides. Aside from the money I would say that some teams are more likely to give the 7th round pick the benefit of the doubt over the UDFA at cutdowns but equally as an UDFA maybe you can look at a team like the Bills currently and say "there are probably only two receivers pencilled in on that roster (KB and ZayDay) that looks like a good spot." For Proehl he probably gets the best of both of those.....

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Cheers Hapless. Would be interested in seeing the article if you can find it.  

It was a genuine question as well I can see both sides. Aside from the money I would say that some teams are more likely to give the 7th round pick the benefit of the doubt over the UDFA at cutdowns but equally as an UDFA maybe you can look at a team like the Bills currently and say "there are probably only two receivers pencilled in on that roster (KB and ZayDay) that looks like a good spot." For Proehl he probably gets the best of both of those.....

It turns out it's 2 different articles.

This makes the case why it might be better to be an UDFA:

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2017/4/28/15227862/undrafted-free-agents-nfl-draft-how-it-works

This points out the signing bonus for the drafted player can be significantly higher than the UDFA:

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2018/04/nfl_draft_2018_whats_the_difference_between_undraf.html

• Thank you (+1) 1