Why the Allen project may be different

2 hours ago, billspro said:

He made a huge jump working with Palmer this offseason. If he has a similar jump in training camp and year 1 we are going to have a very special franchise QB. 

He he also has our DNA. This team will have an identity this year. We are going to maximize our skill with hard work and when the other team takes a play off we will capitalize. This team is going to be very hard to beat at home. 

...although the rebuttal will be about their "illustrious NFL  careers", it is interesting how former NFL QB's like Palmer, Dilfer and Simms really like this kid and his potential....

2 hours ago, Elite Poster said:

DNA is the dumbest thing about our team. Look what happened to Zay. There is no DNA. There is work ethic and talent. 

Would this organization ever draft the best damn player on this team, Shady? Probably not. Take that DNA and shove it. Brady is an a-hole and he will have won more chips than McDNA can dream of. 

Sorry- what is it that happened to Zay? 

A viral TMZ video? 

No charges, no conviction, no sustance abuse indicated, no suspension, no disciplinary action and the front office seems to have moved on. 

Id say that meshed more than we’ll with any DNA

The OP articulates everything I have thought about Josh Allen.  Like the OP, I'm not advocating we reserve his spot in the Hall of Fame just yet.  By definition, the end result is unknown with a project QB, and Allen will have ample opportunity to bust.  Yet I agree there are reasons to take a chance on him sespite the long list of project QB failures.

3 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

He might be different because he is different. 

No no need to rationalize anything at this point. Hope for the best.  We won’t know anything for sure until September 2019

Could be September 2018.

I think the organization is open to him beating out AJ for the starting job, if he actually does that this summer.

3 hours ago, Batman1876 said:

Many fans, myself included were fearful of the Bills drafting a project QB. We've all see these projects fail more often than not and trap the franchise in the "maybe next year they'll put it together" cycle. But as we know the Bills picked the project and it leads to the question, Why take the risk? As I see it there are two possible answers to that question. The first is that Bills leadership let their Ego get in the way of good decision making, they believed that they are special ans can succeed where everyone else has failed. Its a pessimistic view and seemingly the most popular opinion. But there is another option, that they saw something different about this project. What they saw that was different, size, smarts and story. 

Size- This is the one we've heard the most about, hes tall, sturdy, fast and has a big arm.  It's easy to lump him in with others who fit that description but to do so misses out on how big his arm is.  His release is as fast as Aaron Rodgers and his throw velocity is the fastest ever recorded.  Its not simply that he has a big arm its that he has the biggest arm.  Its reasonable to assume that elite physical talent will help in development. 

Smarts- Again this one is talked about regularly.  Allen did well on the wonderlic and maintained a solid GPA. Those who have worked with him say he is a smart kid who picks stuff up fast and his whiteboard work at the combine was reportedly very good.  This should aid his development as he is asked to do more in the NFL and as he learns to better diagnose and respond to what the defense is doing. 

Story- this one is talked about least and may play a big role in the divide regarding Allen. Before looking at his story lets look at the most common path to the draft that the 95% of QBs take. Early on they attend increasingly more prestigious QB camps, they transfer to go to an Elite High school and focus only on football and then are recruited to an elite program. in other words by the time most project QBs get to the NFL they have already had the best coaching available for 10-12 years. All that coaching has tapped their potential quite a bit. The result of this is projects who develop very little, because the 12 years of coaching they've already had has left little room for growth.  Allen on the other hand did not attend elite QB camps, went to a D5 high school where he was a multi sport athlete, went to a JUCO and then a football program about as elite as the UB Bulls. In other words Allen hasn't had his talent tapped into by good coaching before.  He is a well of untapped potential. Far from the kids who grow very little when they hit the NFL Allen should grow quite a bit. I think this untapped potential is what GMs were seeing that the internet scouts weren't. 

So in the end he's still a project, he's still a risk. However when you look at the total situation there is more room for hope than there is with most project QBs. He has talent worth tapping into and for the first time he'll be getting the elite coaching to help him do just that. 

Two Words

David Culley

i would feel ALOT Better about developing a QB if those two words were not that.  I mean what could go wrong haveing a guy that last coached QBs was 1989 for powerhouse Southwestern Louisiana ?

27 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

People who want to point out all Allen’s flaws and say he is a project need to remind themselves of some of the great quarterbacks and how they improved. Every great quarterback had some years that were better than others. Allen is going to be special. 

High wonderlic score, best physical attributes, and shows capability  to receive coaching. That doesn’t mean he will be in Canton but I also don’t see him as a bust barring injuries. 

No first round QB drafted since 1998 that had started less than 30 games at the collegiate level and completed less than 60% of their passes has been successful in the NFL.

Allen started 27 games and has a career completion percentage of 56.2%.

His stats and the data suggest he'll be something like a Ryan Leaf type.

Just now, Fadingpain said:

No first round QB drafted since 1998 that had started less than 30 games at the collegiate level and completed less than 60% of their passes has been successful in the NFL.

Ryan Leaf, seriously??

His stats don't say he will be an entitled crybaby who is a drug addict

Try again.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Two Words

David Culley

i would feel ALOT Better about developing a QB if those two words were not that.  I mean what could go wrong haveing a guy that last coached QBs was 1989 for powerhouse Southwestern Louisiana ?

David Culley will not be soley responsible for his development as a QB. 

3 hours ago, billspro said:

He made a huge jump working with Palmer this offseason. If he has a similar jump in training camp and year 1 we are going to have a very special franchise QB. 

He he also has our DNA. This team will have an identity this year. We are going to maximize our skill with hard work and when the other team takes a play off we will capitalize. This team is going to be very hard to beat at home. 

How can you say he made a huge jump when he hasn’t played? And the Senior Bowl counts as much as the Pro Bowl so don’t go there. 

1 minute ago, MAJBobby said:

Who is the QB coach again?

David Culley. Are you under the misguided notion that David Culley is the only coach who will be working with him? That's just not the reality of the situation. 

This "Cully as villain" narrative is absurd. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

why 1998?  what's the magic with that year? 

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, K-9 said:

David Culley. Are you under the misguided notion that David Culley is the only coach who will be working with him? That's just not the reality of the situation. 

This "Cully as villain" narrative is absurd. 

Ok so guess a QB coach, you know the guy that interacts with the QB the most should not be held as a worry that he hasnt coached QBs since the 80s for a small school. Then what is the need for QB coaches again?

Guess we need to stop blaming Teflon Juan for the OL too right. I mean after all he is only a position coach. 

Edited by MAJBobby

3 hours ago, Batman1876 said:

Many fans, myself included were fearful of the Bills drafting a project QB. We've all see these projects fail more often than not and trap the franchise in the "maybe next year they'll put it together" cycle. But as we know the Bills picked the project and it leads to the question, Why take the risk? As I see it there are two possible answers to that question. The first is that Bills leadership let their Ego get in the way of good decision making, they believed that they are special ans can succeed where everyone else has failed. Its a pessimistic view and seemingly the most popular opinion. But there is another option, that they saw something different about this project. What they saw that was different, size, smarts and story. 

Size- This is the one we've heard the most about, hes tall, sturdy, fast and has a big arm.  It's easy to lump him in with others who fit that description but to do so misses out on how big his arm is.  His release is as fast as Aaron Rodgers and his throw velocity is the fastest ever recorded.  Its not simply that he has a big arm its that he has the biggest arm.  Its reasonable to assume that elite physical talent will help in development. 

Smarts- Again this one is talked about regularly.  Allen did well on the wonderlic and maintained a solid GPA. Those who have worked with him say he is a smart kid who picks stuff up fast and his whiteboard work at the combine was reportedly very good.  This should aid his development as he is asked to do more in the NFL and as he learns to better diagnose and respond to what the defense is doing. 

Story- this one is talked about least and may play a big role in the divide regarding Allen. Before looking at his story lets look at the most common path to the draft that the 95% of QBs take. Early on they attend increasingly more prestigious QB camps, they transfer to go to an Elite High school and focus only on football and then are recruited to an elite program. in other words by the time most project QBs get to the NFL they have already had the best coaching available for 10-12 years. All that coaching has tapped their potential quite a bit. The result of this is projects who develop very little, because the 12 years of coaching they've already had has left little room for growth.  Allen on the other hand did not attend elite QB camps, went to a D5 high school where he was a multi sport athlete, went to a JUCO and then a football program about as elite as the UB Bulls. In other words Allen hasn't had his talent tapped into by good coaching before.  He is a well of untapped potential. Far from the kids who grow very little when they hit the NFL Allen should grow quite a bit. I think this untapped potential is what GMs were seeing that the internet scouts weren't. 

So in the end he's still a project, he's still a risk. However when you look at the total situation there is more room for hope than there is with most project QBs. He has talent worth tapping into and for the first time he'll be getting the elite coaching to help him do just that. 

I used to love Allan Parsons project ! 

( eye in the sky ) 

44 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...although the rebuttal will be about their "illustrious NFL  careers", it is interesting how former NFL QB's like Palmer, Dilfer and Simms really like this kid and his potential....

I would say often the best coaches are not the best players. Those type of guys made it to the league because of their football smarts making up for deficiencies in their athletic ability.

15 minutes ago, The_Dude said:

How can you say he made a huge jump when he hasn’t played? And the Senior Bowl counts as much as the Pro Bowl so don’t go there. 

Senior bowl. It means much more to me than the pro bowl. 

At the senior bowl you have a bunch of kids going 100% to try and make an impression on NFL coaches. I wouldn’t down play it like that.

29 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

Could be September 2018.

I think the organization is open to him beating out AJ for the starting job, if he actually does that this summer.

I agree, but if he does, he’ll have the training wheels on for quite some time.  I’d expect some serious Jauronball.  Frankly, with all the early road games, i think it’s very unlikely that Allen plays before week 8, barring injury of course.

Edited by mannc

19 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Ryan Leaf, seriously??

Try again.

We will never know what Ryan Leaf with his head on straight might have been. Very sad, but we’ll never know. I just hope he keeps it together as he seems to have it now. 

23 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

19 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Ryan Leaf, seriously??

Sometimes posters see something like themselves in players they do not like hence why fadingpain sees Ryan Leaf in Allen.

5 minutes ago, billspro said:

I would say often the best coaches are not the best players. Those type of guys made it to the league because of their football smarts making up for deficiencies in their athletic ability.

Which is why Reich is a Head Coach now.  Not as much athletic ability as other QBs but brains and drive more than them.

16 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

why 1998?  what's the magic with that year? 

It is the year (same with 1st round) that fits his scenario.