Did Beane know Chargers wanted Edmunds at 17?

Technically ALL 3D chess is 4D chess as well. The fourth dimension is time.  Played chess in high school including 3D chess well enough to be rated a master and I beat a grandmaster once (in 2D chess).  Used to play multiple games simultaneously in tournaments but that was a LONG time ago, before Bills Superbowl appearances.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Captain Murica said:

Beane playing 4-D chess... 

I hate that phrase! 4th dimension is time. When did TBD make this fetch because I literally never hear the term elsewhere. 

He's playing 5D chess IMO

I loved this sentence: "There were surprises, arguments, challenges, and when it was all said and done, the Chargers still walked away from draft weekend with the potential to have every draft pick contribute."

Well duh! Every single team has the potential to have every draft pick contribute unless they took someone who is injured. What a dopey statement.

8 hours ago, Captain Murica said:

Nah.  Not a fan of moving up as a draft strategy.

Like the player taken just fine, but he wasn't the only guy in the draft. 

Beane may have had an idea of who was waking whom, but still not sure it justifies the trade-up, unless Edmunds is a HOFer.

Beane had said they do multiple mock drafts where someone is assigned a specific team(s) and each person is responsible for assessing that teams needs/roster.  Then each person explains why they went with each pick.  He said it is a good practice and it is sometimes eye opening.  I think they had a good idea Edmunds or James was the Charger's target.

21 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

Beane may have had an idea of who was waking whom, but still not sure it justifies the trade-up, unless Edmunds is a HOFer.

I like the pick.  It was a huge need.  Beane said Edmunds was the pick at 12 if they didn't trade up for a QB.  In the Bills minds, they got two top 12 picks.  I wonder who they would have got if they stayed at 22?

9 hours ago, Captain Murica said:

7 hours ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

I hate that phrase! 4th dimension is time. When did TBD make this fetch because I literally never hear the term elsewhere. 

He's playing 5D chess IMO

Inter dimensional Chess people!!!    Beane doesn't mess around 

9 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Our WR coach from last year is there now. That’s all I can think of with connections with this regime. 

Well if he's as good at keeping secrets as he is at coaching WRs then a leak is almost certainly in the cards.

Beane definitely made the right move going up to get Edmunds. His closing burst, his range in coverage, and the frame he has are all something teams covet today. Thing is he can still add 10lbs and not lose a step. He will be a 6'5", 260lb LB who can still run in the 4.5's. The young man is gonna be a beast in this defense for years to come. I'm excited to see him and Milano together on the field. 

1 hour ago, Fadingpain said:

A player has to go to the hall of fame to justify trading up 6 spots?

2 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

A player has to go to the hall of fame to justify trading up 6 spots?

It's a ridiculous take.  If Edmunds is even just a Pro Bowl player, it was worth the trade up, for just an additional 3rd round pick.

13 minutes ago, Doc said:

It's a ridiculous take.  If Edmunds is even just a Pro Bowl player, it was worth the trade up, for just an additional 3rd round pick.

They also got a 7th in return so it was 22 and a 3rd for Edmunds and Proehl. Don’t see the need to have Edmunds be inducted into the HOF for it to be a good move. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, BubbaT said:

I loved this sentence: "There were surprises, arguments, challenges, and when it was all said and done, the Chargers still walked away from draft weekend with the potential to have every draft pick contribute."

Well duh! Every single team has the potential to have every draft pick contribute unless they took someone who is injured. What a dopey statement.

You sure ? Remember when we drafted Kolby Listenbee AND Shaq Lawson ?

10 hours ago, HappyDays said:

The Bills ran a bunch mock drafts and defended their picks as if they were the team's GM. They know every team's needs going in so they can jump in front of anyone looking for the same player. IIRC we jumped ahead of Carolina last year to draft Jones.

and Dawkins i believe.

I read about these teams doing so many mock simulations then having something happen they never could have predicted.  Seems like they should wise up and have a drunk person make the draft picks for the Raiders and Browns in the simulations.

• Haha (+1) 1