Linebacker weakness

BobbyC81

28 minutes ago, Uncle Joe said:

Anybody have any insight on Vallejo?

Vallejo is a really good athlete with good instincts, but he seems like a guy who doesn't have a position. I think he could play the middle if he gained 10-15 pounds, but even so I think he would be a backup. He has really short arms, so disengaging and taking on blockers might be tough. I do think he could help in sub sets, but he cannot play the Sam with his lack of length. I suppose he could compete with Milano at the Will, but I think Milano is better. Technically Vallejo is bigger and basically the same speed as Milano, but Matt just has a better frame and such. I wouldn't sleep on Vallejo contributing though. 

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Milano is the Will and he really isnt really undersized for this defense. Edmunds will be the Mike and the simple fact that he is replacing a guy who runs a four eight six forty is a huge upgrade in itself. Edmunds may have some growing pains, but he is going to be very good. Lorax is the Sam in base sets like last year I assume. McDermott has talked up Vallejo, and Julian Stanford is a guy Jets fans said deserved a chance and never got one. 

In the nickel its going to be Edmunds and Milano either way. I think a cheap vet for depth might be all we need. 

And maybe we drop Neal into a big nickel once in a while.  

• Like (+1) 1

Also, if you want to get irrationally excited about someone, go look up Julian Stanford's combine numbers and look at some highlights. 4.51 and 27 bench reps. Jets fans feel he never got a fair shake. I was annoyed by his signing initially but this dude could be a sleeper. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, MrEpsYtown said:

Vallejo is a really good athlete with good instincts, but he seems like a guy who doesn't have a position. I think he could play the middle if he gained 10-15 pounds, but even so I think he would be a backup. He has really short arms, so disengaging and taking on blockers might be tough. I do think he could help in sub sets, but he cannot play the Sam with his lack of length. I suppose he could compete with Milano at the Will, but I think Milano is better. Technically Vallejo is bigger and basically the same speed as Milano, but Matt just has a better frame and such. I wouldn't sleep on Vallejo contributing though. 

Milano is much faster and more fluid than Vallejo.  Milano hurt himself in his combine 40.  He is really fast (like Edmunds fast).  Having said that, I agree with you on Vallejo.  He supposedly has "elite cover skills" - and he and Lacey were beasts on teams.  I think Vallejo could contribute quite a bit this year.

As to my comment on Milano, he could still not run come his pro day.  I am glad, helped us get him.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/initial-observations-from-the-2017-boston-college-pro-day/

Sorry, couldn't find the article I was looking for before.  Got it now.  Milano has blazing speed for an LB - "consistently 4.5 40" per article below.  Had a bad hamstring at the combine.  As I said, I like Vallejo, but Milano is much, much faster.  This is a great read for anyone interested.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/florida-recruiting/blog/os-sp-matt-milano-nfl-draft-0426-story.html

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Uncle Joe said:

Anybody have any insight on Vallejo?

McD seems to mention him frequently. I seem to remember he had a really good junior season but then fell of his senior season? Maybe he's farther along than we know.

I beleive it was on John Murphy show after the season Zo said his role and playing time on defense was going to be reduced. More  of a situational pass rusher with his hand in the dirt and special teams. My guess for starters at beginning of season:

Will: Milano

Mike: Stanford

Sam: Edmunds, then worked into Mike throughout season 

1 hour ago, LittleJoeCartwright said:

I don't understand the Bills' limited efforts in strengthening the linebacker positions.  Yes, they traded up and used a 1st round pick on Tremaine Edmunds, but are they really going to expect a 20 year old to be the MLB and quarterback of the defense?  Last year's starter and leading tackler, Preston Brown, was allowed to leave as a free agent.  Then, you have an aging Alexander at one outside spot and a young undersized Milano at the other spot.

After not using any other draft picks on the LB group, they only sign one guy as an UDFA?   The depth is scary.

So, I wonder, with their desire for flexibility, if maybe Trent Murphy will play some LB, as he did for Washington.  Maybe Murphy plays OLB on rushing downs and then moves to DE on 3rd down with Alexander at OLB.  Also, Lawson could play DE on 1st and 2nd downs with his strength playing the run and then come out on 3rd downs.

If they don't expect that, then they really aren't getting a good ROI on all those picks, are they?

In addition to Milano, keep in mind they have 2 second year guys and a rookie on the roster, all from small schools.  If they follow the "linebacker U" model, they expect ST out of these guys their 1st and 2nd years while they gain strength under NFL training, then expect at least 1 of them to contribute in his 2nd-3rd year while others move on and are replaced by a new crop.  If this is the model they're following, I would expect them to shed a couple of the guys on the roster after OTAs/TC and pick up a couple more newbies.

1 hour ago, LittleJoeCartwright said:

I don't understand the Bills' limited efforts in strengthening the linebacker positions.  Yes, they traded up and used a 1st round pick on Tremaine Edmunds, but are they really going to expect a 20 year old to be the MLB and quarterback of the defense?  Last year's starter and leading tackler, Preston Brown, was allowed to leave as a free agent.  Then, you have an aging Alexander at one outside spot and a young undersized Milano at the other spot.

After not using any other draft picks on the LB group, they only sign one guy as an UDFA?   The depth is scary.

So, I wonder, with their desire for flexibility, if maybe Trent Murphy will play some LB, as he did for Washington.  Maybe Murphy plays OLB on rushing downs and then moves to DE on 3rd down with Alexander at OLB.  Also, Lawson could play DE on 1st and 2nd downs with his strength playing the run and then come out on 3rd downs.

I look at the fact that Edmunds is only 20 as a tremendous advantage. Boy, I remember all the testosterone running through my body that age. Lots of more wiggle, less wear and tear on them bones. Edmunds is a generational LB prospect, we are talking about a guy that may be discussed as perhaps a better talent than Luke Kuechly.

Milano is a stud, they apparently like Tanner Vallejo but I think the guy we're going to see surprise a lot of people is Siran Neal. Apparently they are going to try him out mainly as safety but don't get it twisted he will be playing LB as well.

Lorax is old and slow but can still be effective if used right, I think we're OK.

It's hilarious to me how much the draft is like buying a new car. Before the draft people were hoping Roquan or Edmunds would be around at 12 if we didn't take a QB. People were droolling over LVE because they knew it was likely unrealistic Edmunds or Smith would be around for our 2nd. We get Edmunds at 16, which by every mock draft standard is unbelievable and the SECOND he is drafted all of a sudden it's like he lost half his value just driving off the lot. All of a sudden his instincts are no longer "elite" now he's just a 20 year old kid who has to learn how to play. His speed and size are no longer assets, now they are crutches that he leans on when he's being "too aggressive." 

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, DC Tom said:

I've watched the tape.  He gets caught out of position by being over-aggressive frequently.   He has the raw physical talent to make up for those mistakes at the college level.  Right now, in the NFL, his lack of discipline is probably good for an extra yard per carry by the opposing offense.  

But...he's already got great coverage skills.  And discipline is something that can be coached.  Can it be coached in a 20 year old, in one training camp, in time for the regular season?  Probably not...

Totally agree with all of that. He will really benefit from Star in front of him though. He's going to make some mistakes. And good thing Hyde and Poyer are behind him. I fear we give up a lot of 7-10 yard runs up the gut until he learns not to bite. But his upside is off the charts.

We have Edmunds, Milano, Alexander, Humber, Vallejo,  Julian Stanford and N we should be fine.  eal could play a little in the box safety/linebacker.  I think the depth is better than you think.  It's a developing group.  The young guys will have to step up their game but should be fine.  This is a developing team and they have a nice mix of veterans and young guys.  Let them compete.

If this team don't get Bowman to run the team from the middle, it's going to be a long year. Edmunds is an OLB. People really need to temper expectations with him. Go watch his all play tape online. Not going to lie, it leaves a lot to be desired. If he is the MLB next year, it literally may ruin his career 

3 hours ago, Wayne Arnold said:

Milano is a stud and Edmunds is a generational talent. Why worry?

I hope Milano worked on his upper body strength over the off season...he got pulled into the middle of the field far to many times last year. And he needs to stay outside..just play the position.