Linebacker weakness

BobbyC81

I don't understand the Bills' limited efforts in strengthening the linebacker positions.  Yes, they traded up and used a 1st round pick on Tremaine Edmunds, but are they really going to expect a 20 year old to be the MLB and quarterback of the defense?  Last year's starter and leading tackler, Preston Brown, was allowed to leave as a free agent.  Then, you have an aging Alexander at one outside spot and a young undersized Milano at the other spot.

After not using any other draft picks on the LB group, they only sign one guy as an UDFA?   The depth is scary.

So, I wonder, with their desire for flexibility, if maybe Trent Murphy will play some LB, as he did for Washington.  Maybe Murphy plays OLB on rushing downs and then moves to DE on 3rd down with Alexander at OLB.  Also, Lawson could play DE on 1st and 2nd downs with his strength playing the run and then come out on 3rd downs.

10 minutes ago, LittleJoeCartwright said:

I don't understand the Bills' limited efforts in strengthening the linebacker positions.  Yes, they traded up and used a 1st round pick on Tremaine Edmunds, but are they really going to expect a 20 year old to be the MLB and quarterback of the defense?  Last year's starter and leading tackler, Preston Brown, was allowed to leave as a free agent.  Then, you have an aging Alexander at one outside spot and a young undersized Milano at the other spot.

After not using any other draft picks on the LB group, they only sign one guy as an UDFA?   The depth is scary.

So, I wonder, with their desire for flexibility, if maybe Trent Murphy will play some LB, as he did for Washington.  Maybe Murphy plays OLB on rushing downs and then moves to DE on 3rd down with Alexander at OLB.  Also, Lawson could play DE on 1st and 2nd downs with his strength playing the run and then come out on 3rd downs.

Preston Brown!!! Oh come on.

He is like the ground in a rainstorm, sure he caught a lot of rain drops but he didn’t keep anyone dry. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 5

6 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

The only thing I can come up with is that teams play their sub packages a majority of the time and perhaps don’t require as many LBs?

This is exactly it. You need two coverage-capable LBers and a solid run defending SLB for base packages.

Milano is the Will, Edmunds the Mike. Might be some teething problems early on but they'll be fine in the long run.

13 minutes ago, LittleJoeCartwright said:

Beane explained we are rebuilding, Rome wasn't built in a day, there are going to be holes at positions but they made the playoffs (albeit it on a last second miracle play) last season with what I feel was a worse group of players then they have now, adding Trent Murphy, Tremaine Edmunds, Star Louteleilei, Vontae Davis to the group makes me think this defense may be one of the better ones in the league when it's all said and done imo.

• Like (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, LittleJoeCartwright said:

I liked Preston Brown way more than most Bills fans. With that being said Edmunds is an upgrade. He is Anthony Barr. It is shocking that the Bills could get a QB and him.

They are going to use Siran Neal in the sub packages. This group will be WAY more athletic than they were previously. I’m good with the LB situation. With that being said I’d love it with Brown back. 

Edited by Kirby Jackson

Milano is the Will and he really isnt really undersized for this defense. Edmunds will be the Mike and the simple fact that he is replacing a guy who runs a four eight six forty is a huge upgrade in itself. Edmunds may have some growing pains, but he is going to be very good. Lorax is the Sam in base sets like last year I assume. McDermott has talked up Vallejo, and Julian Stanford is a guy Jets fans said deserved a chance and never got one. 

In the nickel its going to be Edmunds and Milano either way. I think a cheap vet for depth might be all we need. 

32 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

The only thing I can come up with is that teams play their sub packages a majority of the time and perhaps don’t require as many LBs?

i think this has something to do with it. and also, i think siran neal could end up being a hybrid player for them. drafted as a safety, but has played corner and linebacker. good size. i assume he is a pretty good athlete. he could be a part of some three safety packages, where the third safety plays up in the box. possibly even some additional pass rush from different spots? plus, i don't think this is anywhere near a completed roster yet. i firmly believe the jump is coming next year, with another draft, and the cap room that will be opening up. it's all part of the process.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I liked Preston Brown way more than most Bills fans. With that being said Edmunds is an upgrade. He is Anthony Barr. It is shocking that the Bills could get a QB and him.

They are going to use Siran Neal in the sun packages. This group will be WAY more athletic than they were previously. I’m good with the LB situation. With that being said I’d love it with Brown back. 

you posted this as i was typing my comments. 

23 minutes ago, Uncle Joe said:

Anybody have any insight on Vallejo?

I think he is the reason they didn’t draft another one. They seem really high on him like they did Milano  as well. The problem for Vallejo is he gets hurt often

34 minutes ago, 8-8 Forever? said:

Edmunds is a beast.  Generational LB.  go watch the tape.  Stud city. 

I've watched the tape.  He gets caught out of position by being over-aggressive frequently.   He has the raw physical talent to make up for those mistakes at the college level.  Right now, in the NFL, his lack of discipline is probably good for an extra yard per carry by the opposing offense.  

But...he's already got great coverage skills.  And discipline is something that can be coached.  Can it be coached in a 20 year old, in one training camp, in time for the regular season?  Probably not...