Was Kelly getting picked ahead of Marino a issue in 1983?

ganesh

This might be for the old timers who kept track of drafts (I did only after 1990)...

We had four QBs go in the 83 draft with Kelly taken ahead of Marino.  Considering the college resume of Miami. was there hair splitting in Buffalo at picking the wrong QB from Pennsylvania?  In the end it did not matter as both Kelly and Marino had stellar careers where they took their teams to SuperBowls (albeit never won one) and enshrined themselves in the HOF.  

Edited by ganesh

Guess you mean the 1983 draft, rather than the 1986 draft...

Marino fell in that draft because allegations had been leaked to the press (reputedly by Miami) that he had a drug problem. The team that was most famously duped was the Pittsburgh Steelers, the team that was originally planning on drafting the local kid.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, ganesh said:

This might be for the old timers who kept track of drafts (I did only after 1990)...

We had four QBs go in the 86 draft with Kelly taken ahead of Marino.  Considering the college resume of Miami. was there hair splitting in Buffalo at picking the wrong QB from Pennsylvania?  In the end it did not matter as both Kelly and Marino had stellar careers where they took their teams to SuperBowls (albeit never won one) and enshrined themselves in the HOF.  

Actually it was 6 Qb's in the 1983 draft. Marino's stock dropped a lot and Kelly was coming off shoulder surgery, so i don't recall much controversy about the picks. Elway was the focus of that draft.

1 hour ago, 2003Contenders said:

Guess you mean the 1983 draft, rather than the 1986 draft...

Marino fell in that draft because allegations had been leaked to the press (reputedly by Miami) that he had a drug problem. The team that was most famously duped was the Pittsburgh Steelers, the team that was originally planning on drafting the local kid.

The Rooney's wanted Marino.  Chuck Noll put the breaks on that.

2 hours ago, ganesh said:

We had four QBs go in the 86 draft with Kelly taken ahead of Marino.  Considering the college resume of Miami. was there hair splitting in Buffalo at picking the wrong QB from Pennsylvania?  In the end it did not matter as both Kelly and Marino had stellar careers where they took their teams to SuperBowls (albeit never won one) and enshrined themselves in the HOF.  

Jim Kelly had a severe shoulder separation in his senior year at Miami and that cut his season short. The injury was so bad he needed pins inserted to keep to together and afterward the doctors told him he might never fully recover a full throwing motion. 

Otherwise, I think Kelly is fighting Elway for that number one overall spot if not in the top five. John Elway, Eric Dickerson, Curt Warner, Chris Hinton. were the top four.

On a different note in the 1988 draft, Don't forget that Thurman Thomas suffered an ACL tear and players had a very difficult time recovering from that back then. Plus, he had a lot of mileage on him at OSU with 897 rushes for 5,146 yards, 43 TDs and 21 100 yard rushing games. He also kept Barry Sanders on the bench after returning from his injury.

Anyway, Thurman was thought to be a top 10 pick in the draft and all those miles and that knee injury scared teams away so he slipped into the second round, 40th overall. I can recall the ESPN cameras at his house watching him get passed by team after team. Also, Thurman once stated that he played on two bad ankles his entire professional career.

I bring it up because the Bills owner seemed to spare no expense on some really great team doctors back then. Rusty Jones was the teams S&C coach and Marv called him his "secret weapon" as the team would go to play Miami in 90-degree weather and the Dolphin players would be gassed hands on the hips and the Bills players were in much better condition.

As far as Dan Marino is concerned it wasn't rumored he had a "drug problem". It was more that he was a party animal and it was rumored he smoked some weed. Probably from a team that wanted his stock to drop. 

Edited by Nihilarian
  • Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

The non HOF QBs in this class were solid as well if I remember right.

Not sure if I'd agree with this (assuming you mean solid in the NFL). Todd Blackledge (taken #7 by KC) was never KC's full time starter. Tony Eason (#15 by NE) played 8 seasons, was the starter for 3 seasons and was not very good. Ken O'Brien (#24 to NJ Jets) played 10 seasons, was the starter for 7 of them, and the Jets had a 50-59-1 record with him starting.

A couple of footnotes: Bruce Mathison was drafted by the Rams in the 10th round. In 1985 he played for the Bills, started 7 games and went 1-6. Also, Gary Kubiak was drafted by Denver in round 8 and of course was Elway's backup for most of his career before becoming a coach.

• Like (+1) 1

For those who were old enough to remember...what was the reaction when Kelly initially wouldnt come here?  Did you believe it was just a matter of time before he came here or he was never going too?

5 hours ago, Nihilarian said:

Jim Kelly had a severe shoulder separation in his senior year at Miami and that cut his season short. The injury was so bad he needed pins inserted to keep to together and afterward the doctors told him he might never fully recover a full throwing motion. 

Otherwise, I think Kelly is fighting Elway for that number one overall spot if not in the top five. John Elway, Eric Dickerson, Curt Warner, Chris Hinton. were the top four.

On a different note in the 1988 draft, Don't forget that Thurman Thomas suffered an ACL tear and players had a very difficult time recovering from that back then. Plus, he had a lot of mileage on him at OSU with 897 rushes for 5,146 yards, 43 TDs and 21 100 yard rushing games. He also kept Barry Sanders on the bench after returning from his injury.

Anyway, Thurman was thought to be a top 10 pick in the draft and all those miles and that knee injury scared teams away so he slipped into the second round, 40th overall. I can recall the ESPN cameras at his house watching him get passed by team after team. Also, Thurman once stated that he played on two bad ankles his entire professional career.

I bring it up because the Bills owner seemed to spare no expense on some really great team doctors back then. Rusty Jones was the teams S&C coach and Marv called him his "secret weapon" as the team would go to play Miami in 90-degree weather and the Dolphin players would be gassed hands on the hips and the Bills players were in much better condition.

As far as Dan Marino is concerned it wasn't rumored he had a "drug problem". It was more that he was a party animal and it was rumored he smoked some weed. Probably from a team that wanted his stock to drop. 

No im pretty sure the rumor was cocaine.  

On ‎4‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 7:30 AM, Skins Malone said:

For those who were old enough to remember...what was the reaction when Kelly initially wouldnt come here?  Did you believe it was just a matter of time before he came here or he was never going too?

No im pretty sure the rumor was cocaine.  

Also, the drug rumors originally suggested that Marino was a partier, not a serious drug abuser.

"It started off with just the idea that he was partying," Didinger recalled. "Then it grew more sinister from that."

"People absolutely looked at it that there was a group of guys on the Panthers that just had too good a time," Demoff said. "It was never about addiction."

The Marino drug rumor was so prevalent at the end of the 1982 college season that Pitt actually tested Marino for drugs. Demoff knew about the test.

"[Marino] told me that the school had heard about a group of players using marijuana or drugs, and they internally tested all the players. They were all clean," Demoff said.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2519683-nfl-urban-legends-dan-marino-drug-rumors-and-the-draft-day-slide

Marino also had a lesser senior season than junior year. That was as big a reason for his drop as the drug rumors. The Bills had Kelly and Marino rated just about equal. That's the reason they took Tony Hunter two picks ahead, because they didn't care which one they got. When they had their choice, because the team just ahead of them didn't take a QB they took Kelly, but they were rated equivalent. We also have to remember, like someone posted above, that in the greatest QB class ever, three were studs, one was pretty good, one was average and one sucked. So teams were basically only happy with three of the six, or fifty percent, which is about the same average as any number one pick at QB. Out of the big four this year, it's quite likely that two will succeed and two won't, depending of course on your definition of success. 

On 4/29/2018 at 1:25 AM, Ol Dirty B said:

It could just be from the 30 for 30 and other short various coverage I've seen of that draft, but it seemed like it was the Jets fans who were most pissed off about taking Ken O'Brien over Marino.

The Jets fans were pissed off over nearly every draft pick the team had for decades.

1 minute ago, Like A Mofo said:

Imagine if twitter and twobillsdrive were around in 1983 and we picked Kelly over Marino. Rotary phones would be burning up the WGR550 phone lines, tons of busy signals, and everyone driving around in Yugo and Cutlasses would be freaking out.

Why? Kelly was a great prospect. I wanted Kelly over Marino. There wasn't much if any controversy whatsoever as far as I recall. As a senior, the year he was drafted, Marino threw 17 TDs and 23 INTs. That's why he fell so far.

8 minutes ago, Like A Mofo said:

Imagine if twitter and twobillsdrive were around in 1983 and we picked Kelly over Marino. Rotary phones would be burning up the WGR550 phone lines, tons of busy signals, and everyone driving around in Yugo and Cutlasses would be freaking out.

If you’re comparing it to Allen/Rosen then you’re way off base. I get the concerns about Allen, I just choose to not lose my mind over it. Would some have wondered about JK? Sure. The firestorm would have started when he chose Houston over Buffalo though, not with the draft itself.

4 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

I was there and taking Kelly over Marino was not considered a big deal.  Marino dropping down was puzzling but there were rumors about him and drugs.

Taking Tony Hunter before Kelly?  That was a big deal.

Was there any talk about trading up for Elway in that draft ?