We Bills fan may be complaining, but imagine being a Giants fan

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/04/27/giants-gm-analytics-saying-not-to-draft-a-running-back-are-nonsense-a-crock/

'“You know what I say about that. It is a crock. At the end of the day, a great player is a great player. He is a touchdown maker. He is a threat to take it to the house every time he gets his hands on the ball,” Gettleman said. “I think a lot of that stuff is nonsense. I think it is someone who had decided to get into the analytics of it and went through whatever. Jonathan Stewart is in his 10th year and he has not lost anything. I don’t believe in that. I don’t care who you take, they can all get hurt.”'

His test case, Jonathan Stewart (selected 13th overall) is ... decidedly an average JAG: https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/S/StewJo00.htm

I can't believe the Giants didn't go QB.

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I would have taken a qb but Barkley is probably the best player in the draft.  It’s weird to be mad about that.  

The only logical explanation for taking a RB over a QB in that situation -- i.e., getting the #2 pick in a great QB draft while currently relying on an aging, average QB -- is if they really believe in Davis Webb. They may. I thought he was good in college. 

But I've never gotten the sense that the Giants are big believers in him. If they aren't, what they did makes zero sense from a long-term franchise-building perspective. Sam Darnold is good, and he was right there for them. 

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Like (+1) 1

I probably would have taken a QB too, but the Giants have invested heavily in FA the past few years and they still have Eli + OBJ so reasonable to figure they can still be a contender. Everything fell apart for them last year but they aren't the Browns;  even without Barkley they were going to bounce back to .500.   If they can get the offense clicking with Barkley, they could be a dangerous team.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, KD in CA said:

I probably would have taken a QB too, but the Giants have invested heavily in FA the past few years and they still have Eli + OBJ so reasonable to figure they can still be a contender. Everything fell apart for them last year but they aren't the Browns;  even without Barkley they were going to bounce back to .500.   If they can get the offense clicking with Barkley, they could be a dangerous team.

True, but Eli could fall of the cliff any day now. He might not, but it's certainly plausible. He is an OK qb now on his good days, and often pretty bad. I know the situation was bad last year, but still. 

9 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/04/27/giants-gm-analytics-saying-not-to-draft-a-running-back-are-nonsense-a-crock/

'“You know what I say about that. It is a crock. At the end of the day, a great player is a great player. He is a touchdown maker. He is a threat to take it to the house every time he gets his hands on the ball,” Gettleman said. “I think a lot of that stuff is nonsense. I think it is someone who had decided to get into the analytics of it and went through whatever. Jonathan Stewart is in his 10th year and he has not lost anything. I don’t believe in that. I don’t care who you take, they can all get hurt.”'

His test case, Jonathan Stewart (selected 13th overall) is ... decidedly an average JAG: https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/S/StewJo00.htm

I can't believe the Giants didn't go QB.

Gettleman would have fit right in here with Ralph.

Just now, dave mcbride said:

True, but Eli could fall of the cliff any day now. He might not, but it's certainly plausible. He is an OK qb now on his good days, and often pretty bad. I know the situation was bad last year, but still. 

That's why I probably would have taken Darnold, but I can see them thinking that would have been the equivalent of waving the white flag on Eli's career.  He's only 37, which in this era (esp given his remarkable health) seems to mean he has another 3 years. They want one more run out of him.

Snipped from an ESPN article:

"But Barkley instantly becomes among the highest-paid players at his position and needs to perform at a Pro Bowl-level immediately to be worth the investment. This also happens to be an extremely deep position in this year’s draft; the Giants could have taken a quality running back in the second or third round"

He's making as much as shady.

RB is is less valuable than a elite pass rusher.

If gettleman is so happy with Stewart why draft Barkley?

They have over 11.5 million committed to Barkley and Stewart now this year.

Chubb would have been a home run for them, replacing jpp and immediately turning their pass rush into something dangerous.

"QB" and "stopping the QB" are the two most important things in the NFL.

Great player, but not at #2 with QBs and Chubb available.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

That's why I probably would have taken Darnold, but I can see them thinking that would have been the equivalent of waving the white flag on Eli's career.  He's only 37, which in this era (esp given his remarkable health) seems to mean he has another 3 years. They want one more run out of him.

If so, they could have radically improved their o-line via a trade with the Bills and gotten, say, Sony Michel (who I think is really good even though he might not last more than 5 years).  Is Barkley really that good? Will he even be as good as Kamara or Hunt were last season? I doubt it, but we shall see. 

My one caveat relates to Davis Webb. If they really like him, then not drafting a QB is arguably OK. But I've never heard anyone in the new regime talk him up.

Edited by dave mcbride

G Men have a QB and no RB.

Eli is playing now QB XYZ is on the bench how does that help you win now?

Barkley was and is a sure thing.

All these QB's are all flawed in one way or another.

This was the right pick for them.

Did you see the kids interview with Leon Sandcastle?

He has heart and desire to be great just like his father.......a former boxing world champion.

16 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I would have taken a qb but Barkley is probably the best player in the draft.  It’s weird to be mad about that.  

Yep. That may in fact be true about Barkley, but a RB can be had elsewhere. I might have leaned more to Chubb if I didn’t go QB, but then, I also would have gone QB and taken Darnold. You only get so many chances at a guy like that. Just my 2 cents. 

2 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

I think the Giants are posed for a quick turnaround this season. Not sure if they can challenge for a playoff spot, but they shouldn’t be the train wreck they were in 2017. 

I think that's possible, but I also think they arguably have the worst QB in the division. I don't think Eli is terrible, but I think Smith, Wentz, and Prescott are all better than him right now. 

9 minutes ago, bobobonators said:

They still have Eli at QB. They can draft a QB when Eli retires. Whats so hard to understand about that?

Barkley is a generational talent at RB. 

They wont be drafting at #2 for Eli’s replacement. 

Wasnt AP a generational talent? Isn’t Zeke Elliot?  

Big deal....the Giants aren’t a “future HOF RB” from a deep playoff run in Eli’s last year or 2

• Like (+1) 2