We Bills fan may be complaining, but imagine being a Giants fan

1 minute ago, Mr. WEO said:

They wont be drafting at #2 for Eli’s replacement. 

Wasnt AP a generational talent? Isn’t Zeke Elliot?  

Big deal....the Giants aren’t a “future HOF RB” from a deep playoff run in Eli’s last year or 2

What does drafting a QB do for the Giants now? Nothing. You either move on from Eli NOW or you continue to add pieces around him. 

The Giants chose the latter. 

33 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I would have taken a qb but Barkley is probably the best player in the draft.  It’s weird to be mad about that.  

...Gettleman is hoping to get 2 years MAX out of Eli.....Barkley makes sense to me, hoping to return the Giants run game to its formidable status of yesteryear......would certainly take pressure off Eli and their receiving corp ain't that bad..............

17 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

If so, they could have radically improved their o-line via a trade with the Bills and gotten, say, Sony Michel (who I think is really good even though he might not last more than 5 years).  Is Barkley really that good? Will he even be as good as Kamara or Hunt were last season? I doubt it, but we shall see. 

The bills.were unwilling to give up both 12 and 22 though.  I think.they would have traded back their 2 if a fair price for it.

Just now, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...Gettleman is hoping to get 2 years MAX out of Eli.....Barkley makes sense to me, hoping to return the Giants run game to its formidable status of yesteryear......would certainly take pressure off Eli and their receiving corp ain't that bad..............

But that is not the point.  His value-over-replacement is not high enough to justify the assets they effectively "traded" in lost opportunity costs.

1 minute ago, bobobonators said:

What does drafting a QB do for the Giants now? Nothing. You either move on from Eli NOW or you continue to add pieces around him. 

The Giants chose the latter. 

Because Manning could well fall off a cliff this season, and there are any number of examples of rookie qbs coming on strong and performing at an elite level right away: Luck, Dak Prescott, Russell Wilson. I'm a big believer in Darnold, and think that he may well be a better QB by the end of this season than Manning. And they'd have him the next dozen years assuming he pans out. 

Barkley was the perfect fit for the Giants. They have 1-3 years left in their current window where they could be championship contenders. They haven't been able to run the ball at all since Brandon Jacobs fell apart and an elite RB could take a ton of pressure off their passing game. When they lost their top 3 WRs in one game last year, that was the end of their season.

Barkley gives them another way to win football games, and unlike other positions elite RBs can carry a team out of the gate.

Edited by BullBuchanan

1 minute ago, sleeby said:

The bills.were unwilling to give up both 12 and 22 though.  I think.they would have traded back their 2 if a fair price for it.

I'm pretty confident that the Bills would have given up 12 and 22 in a heartbeat plus a second and a 3rd. They didn't want to give next year's first, as I understand it.

Just now, dave mcbride said:

Because Manning could well fall off a cliff this season, and there are any number of examples of rookie qbs coming on strong and performing at an elite level right away: Luck, Dak Prescott, Russell Wilson. I'm a big believer in Darnold, and think that he may well be a better QB by the end of this season than Manning. And they'd have him the next dozen years assuming he pans out. 

Manning is a HOF bound QB for the Giants. They feel he has more in him. End of story. 

3 minutes ago, sleeby said:

I heard they wanted 12,22,53 and a 2019 1st.

18 minutes ago, Augie said:

Yep. That may in fact be true about Barkley, but a RB can be had e lsewhere. I might have leaned more to Chubb if I didn’t go QB, but then, I also would have gone QB and taken Darnold. You only get so many chances at a guy like that. Just my 2 cents. 

Yeah, I’d rather have Darnold and Guice than Barkley and whoever they pick in the 2nd.  But Barkley is a stud and seems like a great  Dude.

i think people forget that before the season the Giants were a trendy SB pick.  

5 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

But that is not the point.  His value-over-replacement is not high enough to justify the assets they effectively "traded" in lost opportunity costs.

...pretty safe to say Gettleman, McBeane and their respective staffs vetted every aspect and angle before making their moves...Sonny "Bone On Bone" Michel and Rashad Penny both went in the 1st and I don't remember seeing any mocks that had them in the 1st......Barkley could be a star or the next PSU Ennis....who knows??......

Just now, bobobonators said:

Manning is a HOF bound QB for the Giants. They feel he has more in him. End of story. 

That's not the end of the story because he has been sub-mediocre the past few years. In three out of the past five seasons (including last season), he's been below average (with average being 100) in pretty much all of the key categories. He's had some good seasons over his career, yes, but he's not going to get any better and as a simple fact of the matter he's the worst qb in his own division. 

Just now, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...pretty safe to say Gettleman, McBeane and their respective staffs vetted every aspect and angle before making their moves...Sonny "Bone On Bone" Michel and Rashad Penny both went in the 1st and I don't remember seeing any mocks that had them in the 1st......Barkley could be a star or the next PSU Ennis....who knows??......

Another one of those "who are you to question these wise personnel men" posts - great.

27 minutes ago, NewEraBills said:

I know at least three Giants fans and they are not disappointed at all.

I know two who are both ecstatic. 

Giants are trying to win this year. Still work to do on the offensive line, but Solder was a good start. And with OBJ,  Saquon and Engram they have weapons. Say what you want about Eli, he has two rings and they obviously think he still has some gas left in the tank. 

Bottom line, is they have a better chance winning this year drafting Saquon instead of one of the four QB's each of which has question marks and may never pan out.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, JMF2006 said:

I heard they wanted 12,22,53 and a 2019 1st.

That sounds like a reasonable ask from the giants going by the discussions here the past months too.  I know many here would have wanted the bills to do that ask too - I am not one though as we need a lot more than just a QB.  We got a top four, blue chip QB and a great lb and kept our first for 2019. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, SinceThe70s said:

I know two who are both ecstatic. 

Giants are trying to win this year. Still work to do on the offensive line, but Solder was a good start. And with OBJ,  Saquon and Engram they have weapons. Say what you want about Eli, he has two rings and they obviously think he still has some gas left in the tank. 

Bottom line, is they have a better chance winning this year drafting Saquon instead of one of the four QB's each of which has question marks and may never pan out.

plus like others have said, they need to see what they have in Webb too.