This kid has everything you want in a QB

McBean

20 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...wish we had a bonafide, experienced QB Coach to develop him.....

In another thread, Horned Dogs suggested bringing in Jordan Palmer full time to work with him.  That sounds like a good idea to me.

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, McBean said:

Can he put it together?

Watch some of these highlights at the Senior Bowl with good talent around him.

Notice his mechanics, foot work, and those throws. The throw on the run when Harrison Phillips is chasing him is insane.

Upside: Big Ben

Downside: Cutler

I'll say it again, Brandon Beane has brass balls. Allen could be a home run for many years. You can't teach the skills this dude has.

Problem is, you have to teach the skills he doesn't have, and they conflict with the one skill he uses most: trying to cover up for mistakes with his huge arm.

That rarely works as well in the NFL as in college.  You can grow out of it - Brett Favre did, who Allen reminds me of most.  But it takes time and patience, which the modern league rarely provides.

It’s really depressing to me that our 7th overall’s best tape is some footage at an exhibition game and in shorts. Josh Rosen was looking like Aaron Rodgers several times last season in big games against real talent.

1 minute ago, DC Tom said:

Problem is, you have to teach the skills he doesn't have, and they conflict with the one skill he uses most: trying to cover up for mistakes with his huge arm.

That rarely works as well in the NFL as in college.  You can grow out of it - Brett Favre did, who Allen reminds me of most.  But it takes time and patience, which the modern league rarely provides.

Please Tom.  You are talking like somebody who doesn't realize that we already have 2 guys on the roster who have combined to start 5 NFL games. 

Just now, dollars 2 donuts said:

Please Tom.  You are talking like somebody who doesn't realize that we already have 2 guys on the roster who have combined to start 5 NFL games. 

You're talking like an idiot.  What do McCarron and Peterman have to do with anything I said about Allen's very notable and serious flaws?

3 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

You're talking like an idiot.  What do McCarron and Peterman have to do with anything I said about Allen's very notable and serious flaws?

Tom, I was being sarcastic.  5 games is a very small experience size and not the experience you want on this team as you bring a young QB in who needs coaching up and time on the bench to work things out.

If we had Bradford on the team I probably wouldn't be talking sarcastically...we do not have Bradford on our team...we have something less.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts

5 minutes ago, HansLanda said:

Prepare for this in the summer: there is a decent probability he'll be noticeably the best QB on the team, even in his current state. 

That's the scary part.  I don't think they will rush him but if we are .500 or less after 9 weeks I'd expect to see him soon.

8 minutes ago, Kingston Bills Fan said:

Our O-line is in shambles and we gave up two 2nds to move up 5 spots for Allen and the Cards only gave up a 3rd and 5th to move up 5 spots for Rosen I say Cards got a way better deal!

It's not ideal, but I was thinking about this last night.  I don't really think our O-Line is in as much of "shambles" as we think.

Need to get 1 or 2 players and have some young guys step up and we'll have a decent line.  Just have to draft VERY well the rest of the way.

2 minutes ago, Sweats said:

He has everything you want in a QB, is what was exactly said about Losman, Capt. Checkdown and EJ...........anyone see a disturbing trend here?

It was also said about a bunch of other guys who are good QBs. What a nothing statement of no import to get upset about..

33 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

I hate to admit it, but I think I've had a mental block when trying to come up with comparables for Allen.  Jay Cutler is a really good one. Rocket arm, athletic but definitely not a "running QB." We make fun of Cutler and for good reason, but the guy was pretty good for a while ... if Allen is just a little less obnoxious (those 16 year old's tweets don't bode well) and a lot more dedicated to his craft, that could be a very good scenario for Bills fans.

You never did anything stupid when you were 16?

No offense, but clips of practices at the Senior Bowl are about 100th on the list of reasons why you'd choose any player in the draft, not just Allen.

Sure, he can come up with great throws and scrambles after contact. But he does not have the fundamentals to play early in the NFL, which may be exactly what he's forced to do if AJ doesn't work out. Serious accuracy issues are going to be exploited in a big way by NFL defenses that are light years better than anything he saw in college. 

I would like to see Allen succeed, but that's going to take a really good QB coach, lots of time in development (a couple years at least), and playing behind a good offensive line with a good group of WRs. Even if all that turns out perfectly for him, it's going to take a couple years with Allen under center before anyone can call him a quality starter. That's not a knock against Allen--almost all QBs coming out of college are in that boat. But AJ better be the answer for the next year or two because putting Allen in early will resemble the Bills throwing EJ to the wolves. That's not fair to anyone, especially Allen.