Pegula comments on Trump

The league doesn't have a media and / or perception problem. They have a reality problem. Lots of people don't like your players using league time for politics , Terry. Or the message they have chosen to send. The league needs to stick to the business of football, or this will continue. 

3 minutes ago, quinnearlysghost88 said:

I’m far more tired of the media coverage than the actual players’ pre-game protest. 

The media are complicit. Completely in lock-step. The players love this. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Blokestradamus said:

The media were complicit in distorting the motives of the players involved. The whole saga is just an embarrassment for humankind.

From the owners accounts they want it to stop because it’s hurting their bottom line. They don’t sympathize with the players. Also Pegula recommending a black spokesman for the media was a little callous. You want a black guy to be the face of your cause, but not his own. 

9 minutes ago, Blokestradamus said:

More than half? I'd love you to substantiate that claim, pal.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.pbs.org/newshour/amp/nation/white-americans-disapprove-national-anthem-protests-poll-finds

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2017/09/29/politics/national-anthem-nfl-cnn-poll/index.html

So yes half if not more depending on who you poll. Why piss off half your customers. I support there right to do it. I just don’t think they should. I know if I did that at my work they would tell me to do it on my own time. I would really just like to watch football with no politics and social Justice warrior stuff. Is that too much to ask. 

Edited by Thurmanator 12074
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Surprising how much Terry was quoted in that NYT article.   And I'm not sure his comments were that fundamentally interesting, either.    So I'm curious about the reporter's thought process here...  

Why would it be surprising that the NYT would quote the owner of the states only NFL team?

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Blokestradamus said:

More than half? I'd love you to substantiate that claim, pal.

I'd kinda' say he's right...........at least wrt to the people actually in the stadiums.

It's not just about Trump support.............the in-game experience is basically a 3 hour long commercial for the military now.    You don't necessarily see the extent of it when watching games on TV.

4 minutes ago, That_Guy said:

blah, why do politics have to invade every facet of my life?

Unfortunately, we have a President who unnecessarily inserts himself into something that most of us tend to go to in order to escape this stuff, because he knew he could get a reaction.  

We we don't have a divided fanbase/mass player protests without Trump stirring the pot.  And, unfortunately for us, we have to deal with it.

• Like (+1) 3

16 minutes ago, mannc said:

Interesting article.  IMO, Pegula comes off as a lightweight, albeit a well-intentioned one.

Yeah, not impressive.  But then again, Terry seems to have difficulty with verbal expressions. 

5 minutes ago, Thurmanator 12074 said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.pbs.org/newshour/amp/nation/white-americans-disapprove-national-anthem-protests-poll-finds

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2017/09/29/politics/national-anthem-nfl-cnn-poll/index.html

So yes half if not more depending on who you poll. Why piss off half your customers. I support there right to do it. I just don’t think they should. I know if I did that at my work they would tell me to do it on my own time. I would really just like to watch football with no politics and social Justice warrior stuff. Is that too much to ask. 

1393 people polled for the first one. 1037 for the second.  Those are very very very small polls and can't be held up to accurately portray the feelings of America.  Locale is so important for a study that small.  Is that 2400 people from NYC or from Alabama?  LA or West Virginia?

I won't however argue with the bolded.  The only caveat is they work in the public forum.  I couldn't do what they are at work but nobody is reporting on my day to day life at work, nobody is paying to watch me work, there are no tv/radio shows devoted to my work.  So it isn't an apples to apples comparison.

2 minutes ago, Stokes84 said:

Unfortunately, we have a President who unnecessarily inserts himself into something that most of us tend to go to in order to escape this stuff, because he knew he could get a reaction.  

We we don't have a divided fanbase/mass player protests without Trump stirring the pot.  And, unfortunately for us, we have to deal with it.

So, you are saying that my distaste for the players kneeling is because of Trump?

• Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, quinnearlysghost88 said:

These polls are pretty close. 63% disapproval from whites vs 59%

bottom line lot of those people who took that survey are not NFL football fans. If I had to guess I say those who a truly NFL fans it would be close to 60 percent. Bottom line your pissing off a large position of your customers reguadless of the percentage. Why not just have no politics or social warrior stuff on Work time. I’m open to these players doing what ever they want on there own time. No matter which way they lean politically or what cause they believe in. 

I say support what you believe In and have at it on your own time. 

Edited by Thurmanator 12074

7 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

Why would it be surprising that the NYT would quote the owner of the states only NFL team?

LOL.  You realize as far as the Times is concerned, Buffalo isn't in New York.  

Just now, BADOLBILZ said:

I'd kinda' say he's right...........at least wrt to the people actually in the stadiums.

It's not just about Trump support.............the in-game experience is basically a 3 hour long commercial for the military now.    You don't necessarily see the extent of it when watching games on TV.

There's a good chance that he is right, at least within the parameters of purchasers of tickets. But when you start polling people about this, it's a very black and white issue (quite literally).

Phrasing it as a protest against the national anthem is like asking people if they liked Rosa Parks having a problem with public transport. If you think that it's anti-military, anti-police, anti-anything, it's going to elicit a far bigger emotional response. I'm actually afraid to see the results polling white Americans on the question 'Do you enjoy news stories of unarmed black people being shot by police?' :D

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

So, you are saying that my distaste for the players kneeling is because of Trump?

Pretty much.  They wouldn't have been doing it without Trump inciting it.

That's basically what the owners are saying as well.  I hope you can see this.

Edited by Stokes84