If Beane trades up for Allen and passes on Rosen what's your reaction?

DJB

3 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

Threads like this make me really hope Allen does well, regardless of who picks him....

Unless he ends up with the Pats* per impossible.  Then, sorry fella, but it has to be an epic fail:devil:

1 minute ago, Dr. Who said:

Lot of presumptuous know-it-alls chiming in.  If it was so manifestly self-evident that Allen was doomed to fail, professionals would not be considering Allen at the top of the draft.  One has to trust that there are credible intellects evaluating much more comprehensive information than any of us have.  For example, I don't like Rudolph.  I'll be mad if we pick him.  I don't see a high ceiling on the fella.  Nonetheless, I'll hope I am wrong and root for him to be good if he ends up a Buffalo Bill.

Most of all us fall into the bolded.  Allen SCREAMS bust to me.  In the same vain of who the hell is Blaine Gabbert?  Remember him?  Played at Missouri and had subpar stats but went in the 1st round.  I don't THINK Allen will work out in the NFL.  If he is drafted by the Bills I will hope like hell I am wrong.  I've been wrong plenty of times before.  I just won't be as excited as I will be if the pick is Rosen or Mayfield.  Choosing Allen OVER Rosen as this thread suggests and I will be very disappointed.  

• Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

Holy Overreaction, Batman.

that's only if they do something crazy like trade up for Allen and bypass Rosen.  at that point i would lose all faith in this administration and at that point there's no use following them until the next regime.  hopefully it doesn't go down like that!  i don't think i can sit through another 2-3 yrs of waiting for these guys to get fired so we can do it all over again.  i'll still watch the games (from home) i just don't need to be so involved in something with so much negativity surrounding it.  still a fan, just from a distance.  we'll see how it goes.  cautiously optimistic that this regime isn't as bad as the previous ones

1 minute ago, kdiggz said:

thanks bud.  i'll be hoping it works out for sure.  this has been my team my whole life.  it pains me to see them suffer like this.  i think i would need to take a step back and watch from the sidelines for a bit though.  i get too involved and then get let down.  you never know though.  maybe stats are for losers and all of that math stuff is nonsense!  we'll see

FWIW that’s how I felt when they drafted EJ. I had watched a ton of him at FSU and knew of his flaws. I don’t see anything that glaring with Allen. EJ would be thinking mid throw on how to release it, float it, rip it, etc. Allen throws instinctually, much more so than an EJ or Bortles.

Early combine reports from Breer had Allen being dumb as a rock. I had Allen as a do not touch after hearing that. Once his wonderlic was leaked I softened my stance and will trust what the Bills saw during the interview process. Maybe that’s just my love for the team softening the blow so I’m not feeling the same way you are? Maybe I’m seeing something different after spending some time watching him once I gave him actual consideration.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, section122 said:

Most of all us fall into the bolded.  Allen SCREAMS bust to me.  In the same vain of who the hell is Blaine Gabbert?  Remember him?  Played at Missouri and had subpar stats but went in the 1st round.  I don't THINK Allen will work out in the NFL.  If he is drafted by the Bills I will hope like hell I am wrong.  I've been wrong plenty of times before.  I just won't be as excited as I will be if the pick is Rosen or Mayfield.  Choosing Allen OVER Rosen as this thread suggests and I will be very disappointed.  

That's fine.  We all have our opinions and individual modes of evaluation.  I don't claim to be an expert.  I really want Darnold, but I think Allen is going to be good.  I worry about Rosen's injury history and lack of pocket presence.  It's not ridiculous, however, to think Rosen will end up the best of the bunch.

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

You feel your amateur, arm's length assessment is better than a team of professionals who have access to information you'll never be able to imagine?

I'm high on Rosen and like him the most of the Big 4, but we don't know how the interviews went, and we dont know what the FO plans are.

We also know nothing about his medical report.

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

You feel your amateur, arm's length assessment is better than a team of professionals who have access to information you'll never be able to imagine?

I'm high on Rosen and like him the most of the Big 4, but we don't know how the interviews went, and we dont know what the FO plans are.

I don't need to defend myself to you but yes.  I've been watching the Bills and following the draft for almost 20 years.  Off the top of my head there have been numerous times where the Bills didn't do what seemed like the obvious choice, professional vs ammeter or not.  Taking Whitner over Ngata, Maybin over Orakpo.  These seemed like obvious bad choices at the time, and proved to be in the long term.  Allen over Rosen seems like an obvious bad choice, amateur or not.  If we take Allen i'll root for him to success, but i'll still think it was the wrong choice.

11 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

Lot of presumptuous know-it-alls chiming in.  If it was so manifestly self-evident that Allen was doomed to fail, professionals would not be considering Allen at the top of the draft.  One has to trust that there are credible intellects evaluating much more comprehensive information than any of us have.  For example, I don't like Rudolph.  I'll be mad if we pick him.  I don't see a high ceiling on the fella.  Nonetheless, I'll hope I am wrong and root for him to be good if he ends up a Buffalo Bill.

Many independent draft experts have Allen as basically a third round prospect, developmental type guy.  I understand you're drafting based on a projection, but his college play doesn't warrant a top 5 pick.  My thinking with Allen is everyone falling in love with the measurables.  I think that can be a weakness of "pros" and you can't always make a guy into something he's not just because he tests out incredible.  Also, these "professionals" whiff constantly, year after year.  They may have more information than us, especially in terms of medical, but that definitely doesn't lead them to make the correct choices all the time.

Edited by essential
  • Thank you (+1) 2

34 minutes ago, DJB said:

Cry?

Scream ? 

Curl up in fetal position ? 

Opinions needed so Ill know what to do.

Edit: If anyone  throws their tv outside please record it so we can enjoy it here.

Thanks

I will initially think we just drafted JP Losman part deux. 

Then will watch his development because the tools are there with Allen. And he has showed flashes so then the hope will happen that we got one of the few good sub 60% passer instead of getting one of the countless bad sub 60% passers to come in the league 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, RFL said:

Im trying to digest your statement. You have like most of us witnessed in retrospect, some of the most dumbass moves over the years in this organization. I have also noticed your post where you played QB, invested much time in charting prospects, watched film etc. A counter on completion rates.......Dan Marino was 52% completion in college.....went 6th QB off the board in ‘83. Why would Allen tip the cart for you?

it's been coming for a while.  it wouldn't be them taking Allen, it would be losing my faith in them by shunning all known analytics and picking someone because they are BIG.  i'm fine with them taking Allen if that is all that's left.  if they traded up to 2 for instance to do it when there are better players available then i can't support a regime that so far out of touch.  it's fine, i think i'm too involved anyhow if something like that would affect me so negatively.  maybe i just need to take a step back.  like you said, we have been through much worse but i think at this point it's starting to take a toll.  i'd love for sundays to be something positive in my life once again like it was when i was a kid watching the 90's Bills.  those are some of my best memories.  hoping for the best!

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

That's fine.  We all have our opinions and individual modes of evaluation.  I don't claim to be an expert.  I really want Darnold, but I think Allen is going to be good.  I worry about Rosen's injury history and lack of pocket presence.  It's not ridiculous, however, to think Rosen will end up the best of the bunch.

I also think Darnold will bust :lol::nana:  

I like Rosen and Mayfield.  Both have competitiveness that is important, production at a high level, and there knocks aren't play based.  Allen has accuracy concerns, Darnold has wind up and turnover concerns, Rudolph has arm concerns, Jackson has passing ability concerns.  Time will tell but I think this class was over hyped because it was supposed to be a great class moreso than it is a great class.  Add in that it appears to be a weak draft and I'm not surprised the qb angle was shoved down our throats.

Rosen is at the top of my list, but I’d be fine with it. If that’s the QB Beane and the scouts have identified, then who am I, a random Joe fan sitting on my couch watching the draft on TV to argue?

I do think higher of Allen than most on this board though. He’s my #3 behind Rosen and Mayfield. I think his completion % at Wyoming is blown way out of proportion.

• Like (+1) 1

it's been coming for a while.  it wouldn't be them taking Allen, it would be losing my faith in them by shunning all known analytics and picking someone because they are BIG.  i'm fine with them taking Allen if that is all that's left.  if they traded up to 2 for instance to do it when there are better players available then i can't support a regime that so far out of touch.  it's fine, i think i'm too involved anyhow if something like that would affect me so negatively.  maybe i just need to take a step back.  like you said, we have been through much worse but i think at this point it's starting to take a toll.  i'd love for sundays to be something positive in my life once again like it was when i was a kid watching the 90's Bills.  those are some of my best memories.  hoping for the best!

You need to find a balance with your team where you can remain invested without letting things that feel negative affect you so much. As an avid fan of the Bills since 1968, I know it isn't an easy thing to do; however, it can be done. Good luck....

• Like (+1) 4

Just now, essential said:

I don't need to defend myself to you but yes.  I've been watching the Bills and following the draft for almost 20 years.  Off the top of my head there have been numerous times where the Bills didn't do what seemed like the obvious choice, professional vs ammeter or not.  Taking Whitner over Ngata, Maybin over Orakpo.  These seemed like obvious bad choices at the time, and proved to be in the long term.  Allen over Rosen seems like an obvious bad choice, amateur or not.  If we take Allen i'll root for him to success, but i'll still think it was the wrong choice.

Many independent draft experts have Allen as basically a third round prospect, developmental type guy.  I understand you're drafting based on a projection, but his college play doesn't warrant a top 5 pick.  My think with Allen is everyone falling in love with the measurables.  I think that can be a weakness of "pros" and you can't always make a guy into something he's not just because he tests out incredible.  Also, these "professionals" whiff constantly, year after year.  They may have more information than us, especially in terms of medical, but that definitely doesn't lead them to make the correct choices all the time.

Dont be offended, if you post on a discussion board, be prepared to discuss and defend your opinions. That's all.

I disagree that the differences are so obvious this year, especially when it comes to the science of picking/comparing QB prospects, which is very different from addressing other positions.

I'm not high on Allen either, and I personally like Rosen the most, but neither of us know nearly as much as the professionals. And this FO has nothing to do with the old regimes, and has earned the benefit of the doubt, imo.

I hear ya.....’wide right’ I cried. The Bills were THE BEST football team in those 4 years, but in sports it comes down to winning the last game, they couldnt close the deal and get the glory they deserved. 

I couldnt tell you how many times Ive re-watched the ‘comeback’ Oilers/Bills game.  I do it privately because of my emotion lol.

Yep, I hear ya.....Go Bills!