Not a big fan of the Combine or Draft: Really rubs me the wrong way.

2 minutes ago, Binghamton Beast said:

Then why in the hell are you here in the first place?

Sounds like golf may be right up your alley. Or, speaking of alley’s, take up watching professional bowling.

I think those teo “sports” may jive a little bit better with your sense of integrity.

Is it so difficult to understand: If you scream at the tv that a certain young man doesn't have the physical tools to perform at the NFL level...or we shouldn't pick this guy over that guy, you are perpetuating what most of us have read about since third grade. Don't judge based on physical traits. Don't create an arena of meat trading. 

6 minutes ago, Binghamton Beast said:

Then why in the hell are you here in the first place?

Sounds like golf may be right up your alley. Or, speaking of alley’s, take up watching professional bowling.

I think those teo “sports” may jive a little bit better with your sense of integrity.

Do you realize he/she is jerking you around?

Just now, greeneblitz said:

Poor guys, about to become millionairs to play a game.

Game? Game? This is no longer a game played by men who smoke and drink beer on the bench. This is a business pure and simple. So when you see the limos, the red carpet, the dress suits and tie clips/cuff links, just hearken back to this thread and re-read what has been said. Cheer for one man's bench press and vertical jump over another man's. Watch their combine performances...."dance for me #5...dance!!". It's about as subhuman of an event as one can imagine. 

1 hour ago, BringBackFergy said:

While all y'all are salivating over who we'll "get" or who Beane will "select", all you're really doing is perpetuating the idea that we can judge, bargain shop and compare young men based on physical traits like hips, arms, chest, jumping ability, speed and agility.

It's a meat market mentality and now we all sit in front of the screen and watch a Hollywood atmosphere (cameras, red carpets, interviews, fancy clothes) as young men (black, white, Fiji islands and latinos) get "selected" by "the man". I don't put Beane or Pegula in this category...they get a pass. But guys like Dorsey, Bellichick, Gettleman, Jerry Jones and coaches like Pete Carroll, Andy Reid and Mike Tomlin are choosing men who will be forced into service for a team or city for whom they may not wish to work.

Next thing you know, they'll be checking the players teeth, or making them carry loads of bricks on their backs with some goofy reason like "we need to check the teeth because it helps us understand their hygiene practices" or "carrying bricks on their back is a sign of their ability to carry a team when they are down in the 4th quarter".

I feel bad for these young men. They don't understand the symbolic nature of what they have gone through. The first thing that happens when they get "selected" is they put on a team hat....talk about branding. It's ridiculous. I probably won't even watch and I would suggest if you have even a rudimentary understanding of "human rights" you would do the same.

Peace out!

The Draft has truly driven us all insane lol

26 minutes ago, FearLess Price said:

The parrallels to slave auctions are undeniable even to the most naive eye.

Geometrically speaking, when two lines are parallel, they are NOT the same line.  

Give me five minutes, and I'll give you parallels between Joseph Stalin and Barack Obama.   Parallels don't make Obama a butcher.  

Just because there are parallels between slave auctions and the draft doesn't make the draft a slave auction.  It's far from it.  

• Like (+1) 1

While all y'all are salivating over who we'll "get" or who Beane will "select", all you're really doing is perpetuating the idea that we can judge, bargain shop and compare young men based on physical traits like hips, arms, chest, jumping ability, speed and agility.

It's a meat market mentality and now we all sit in front of the screen and watch a Hollywood atmosphere (cameras, red carpets, interviews, fancy clothes) as young men (black, white, Fiji islands and latinos) get "selected" by "the man". I don't put Beane or Pegula in this category...they get a pass. But guys like Dorsey, Bellichick, Gettleman, Jerry Jones and coaches like Pete Carroll, Andy Reid and Mike Tomlin are choosing men who will be forced into service for a team or city for whom they may not wish to work.

Next thing you know, they'll be checking the players teeth, or making them carry loads of bricks on their backs with some goofy reason like "we need to check the teeth because it helps us understand their hygiene practices" or "carrying bricks on their back is a sign of their ability to carry a team when they are down in the 4th quarter".

I feel bad for these young men. They don't understand the symbolic nature of what they have gone through. The first thing that happens when they get "selected" is they put on a team hat....talk about branding. It's ridiculous. I probably won't even watch and I would suggest if you have even a rudimentary understanding of "human rights" you would do the same.

Peace out!

umm...lol these guys would carry loads of bricks for a chance at making

a buttload of money and being on the nfl stage..don't feel bad for them

6 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

Game? Game? This is no longer a game played by men who smoke and drink beer on the bench. This is a business pure and simple. So when you see the limos, the red carpet, the dress suits and tie clips/cuff links, just hearken back to this thread and re-read what has been said. Cheer for one man's bench press and vertical jump over another man's. Watch their combine performances...."dance for me #5...dance!!". It's about as subhuman of an event as one can imagine. 

This is where you are wrong.    Professional sports are simultaneously a business and a game.   Listen to the players; they tell us this all the time.   they play the game, they love the game, they love the competition.   They don't like the business part of it, but they recognize that business IS part of it, and they live with that.   

And you know what?   The teams aren't interested in the guys who think it's a business, because guys who aren't in it for the pure love of the game won't subject themselves to the rigors, and indignities, of that life.   That's a point that Kapernick and his supporters don't understand.   Kapernick doesn't have a job not because he won't stand for the flag; he doesn't have a job because his focus isn't 100% on playing the game.

4 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

This is where you are wrong.    Professional sports are simultaneously a business and a game.   Listen to the players; they tell us this all the time.   they play the game, they love the game, they love the competition.   They don't like the business part of it, but they recognize that business IS part of it, and they live with that.   

And you know what?   The teams aren't interested in the guys who think it's a business, because guys who aren't in it for the pure love of the game won't subject themselves to the rigors, and indignities, of that life.   That's a point that Kapernick and his supporters don't understand.   Kapernick doesn't have a job not because he won't stand for the flag; he doesn't have a job because his focus isn't 100% on playing the game.

Your posts are well thought out and persuasive. Still, the combine and the draft are nothing more than a talent show to assess and bid on the best physical specimens who can "get the work done that needs to get done" for a bunch of stuffy guys in suits. Money shouldn't even factor into the equation...it's a red heron.

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

I think I missed the signups for that. 

Count your blessings pal. Night, after night, after night, of soft fragrant shiny hair, silk skin curves, and giggling. The incredibly awkward feeling of being with someone who is totally focused on pleasing you. What of healthy debate I say? None of that. Instead days, months or years wasting your precious free time and squandering your youth focused on empty physical pleasure. Then in my case, legal issues with a whole bunch of bogus trumped up charges of "Impersonating a Prospect". 

It's a nightmare and it is an indictment of our society that we still subject young men to this form of abuse.

I respect you as an individual human being with an individual thought process, intelligence, dedication. But while you sit back, drink bottled water, snack on unsalted pecans shouting at the tv screen "We don't want him because he's too short!!" or "Pick that guy, his arm is really strong"...I'll read a book about how our ancestors did the same thing over 100 years ago and question whether we truly have advanced in our treatment of individuals. Do we judge them by looks/physical attributes or what they contribute to our society?

Football players are modern day gladiators and we are the peasants in the stands giving a thumbs up or down based upon physical characteristics. 

3 minutes ago, BadLandsMeanie said:

Count your blessings pal. Night, after night, after night, of soft fragrant shiny hair, silk skin curves, and giggling. The incredibly awkward feeling of being with someone who is totally focused on pleasing you. What of healthy debate I say? None of that. Instead days, months or years wasting your precious free time and squandering your youth focused on empty physical pleasure. Then in my case, legal issues with a whole bunch of bogus trumped up charges of "Impersonating a Prospect". 

It's a nightmare and it is an indictment of our society that we still subject young men to this form of abuse.

DEATH BY SNOO SNOO!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BringBackFergy said:

Peace out!

Yeah I feel bad for young men becoming multi millionaires with one selection and if they manage their money correctly will never have to work again at the end of their brief career. Color me upset. 

Feel bad for these young men meeting their dreams. So freaking horrible. 

The entire thing is voluntary. There are other options for playing pro football, such as the CFL and arena league.

If want to make big $$ playing pro football you DECIDE and VOLUNTEER to enter the draft. Most players could care less where they are drafted because it means they are in the club and will never have to worry about money again if they are smart with it.

I'm glad you brought this up. All we ever hear about is bloodlines and genetics. How many times have we heard an announcer say "Now here's a guy that plays a lot like Luke Kuechly"....that, in an of itself, is a slap in the face of each player's own individualized style as a player. If these men want to play the game for bragging rights, I'm ok with it, but to pay even one lousy nickel, you are perpetuating the idea of in dentured servitude which we have worked tirelessly to eradicate for well over 45 years.

So seeing you mentioned indentured servitude. Do you like NCAA sports?

Guess the all volunteer military is the same as you are saying with the NFL right?