What would you have given up to get Jim Kelly?

1 hour ago, mead107 said:

Day of draft you didn’t know what he would become.

Just like this year with the top 5 QBs no one has any way of knowing what will happen. 

That is why the meadcoins are on Riley Ferguson. 

Wouldn't move up at that time, coming off shoulder surgery, not a prolific college career. 

1 hour ago, Cash said:

Weird that you included this, since it's probably the best historical case against giving up a lot of picks for 1 guy.  That trade laid the foundation for the Cowboys' 3 championships, and led the Vikings to mediocrity.

To answer your question, I would give up a lot.  But do I know what I'm giving up?  I'd much rather include 1983's #12 overall (Tony Hunter) than #39 overall (Darryl Talley).  But I'd only give up so much.  Without 1984's 1st rounder, we probably don't land Cornelius Bennett.  If we include 1985's 1st or 4th rounder, we lose Bruce or Andre.  How good would those teams have been if it was Kelly and a bunch of stiffs?

The other problem with this question is that I'd give up a lot for Kelly, because I already know how he turned out.  What if you know there's a 50% chance Kelly turns into Ken O'Brien the moment you draft him?  Still willing to give up as much? 

Of course I mean now.  Who wouldn't give up a 6th for Brady?  a 3rd for Montana?  a 3rd for Wilson? 

1 hour ago, Fadingpain said:

Knowing what we know now about Jim Kelly?

I would say he would easily be worth an entire draft worth of picks or something like that.

I do not think there is any QB in this year's class that is expected to be or is going to be close to Jim Kelly, however.

Right.  But if you believe he's your franchise guy, you gotta make a move.

4 minutes ago, TC in St. Louis said:

Of course I mean now.  Who wouldn't give up a 6th for Brady?  a 3rd for Montana?  a 3rd for Wilson? 

yeah, but where are we drafting, how far to move up.... not a real easy question to answer. Simple answer - you don't get cheap, you give up what's necessary to move into position to draft him, or you wait and draft Marino, since he went last in the first round.

13 minutes ago, T-Bomb said:

Whatever it took to get Elway :)

good answer - I'd go after Marino next, then Kelly

21 minutes ago, TC in St. Louis said:

Does he still bolt to the USFL for 2 years?

3 hours ago, TC in St. Louis said:

I know it's a dumb question; a moot point.  However, in retrospect, if you had to move up in the draft for Jim Kelly, what would you have given up?  Ditka gave up an entire draft to get Ricky Williams.  The Vikings gave up a freakin' fortune to get Herschel Walker.  The Rams gave up a ton to get Goff.  The Bears jumped up like idiots to move up one spot in the draft.

Having Jim Kelly lead our team for years.  What's that worth?

If the brass believes there is a guy who can take this team to the promised land, they are obligated to do whatever is necessary to get him. 

Do you people believe the Bills have zeroed in on one guy?  I know they're not gonna tell us till Thursday (unless they move up and take Cleveland's number one pick).

Nothing because its all a crapshoot and if I keep my picks and bide my time, QB Reggie Collier of Southern Miss. would have fallen into my hands in the 6th round. Good  mediocre things come to those who wait. Plus, I could have used those picks to fill the many holes the Bills of 1983 had up and down the roster.

I’d give up Kelly to draft Marino.

(fully aware Jimbo was fmdrafted ahead of him) 

13 minutes ago, TheElectricCompany said:

We have the benefit of hindsight in this evaluation. 

What is a HOF QB worth? I would argue 3-5 1st round picks 

A HOF QB is worth just about as many draft picks as you can give up. 

14 minutes ago, TheElectricCompany said:

We have the benefit of hindsight in this evaluation. 

What is a HOF QB worth? I would argue 3-5 1st round picks 

A HOF QB is worth just about as many draft picks as you can give up. 

4 hours ago, TC in St. Louis said:

I know it's a dumb question; a moot point.  However, in retrospect, if you had to move up in the draft for Jim Kelly, what would you have given up?  Ditka gave up an entire draft to get Ricky Williams.  The Vikings gave up a freakin' fortune to get Herschel Walker.  The Rams gave up a ton to get Goff.  The Bears jumped up like idiots to move up one spot in the draft.

Having Jim Kelly lead our team for years.  What's that worth?

If the brass believes there is a guy who can take this team to the promised land, they are obligated to do whatever is necessary to get him. 

Do you people believe the Bills have zeroed in on one guy?  I know they're not gonna tell us till Thursday (unless they move up and take Cleveland's number one pick).

Would you trade up for a QB who says he won't play for you?