Eagles GM Howie Roseman Quote: Beane Should Read

1 hour ago, kota said:

yes if he wanted to he could give the browns our first round pick for the next 10 years.  It's all about how much you want to pay in draft picks to go up.  You will most likely have to overpay so you better be right.

Right.

It's like buying a car.

If you're willing to make concessions and compromise, you can walk away with a deal most times.

If you go in drooling over something they have on the lot, and they see you doing that, they will take you over the coals, but you gotta pay sometimes to get exactly what you want.

1 hour ago, Seanbillsfan2206 said:

Or maybe they will listen to offers for Foles...

I can listen to n'sync and Bieber.

Doesn't mean I like what I'm hearing :)

1 hour ago, kota said:

yes if he wanted to he could give the browns our first round pick for the next 10 years.  It's all about how much you want to pay in draft picks to go up.  You will most likely have to overpay so you better be right.

No he couldn't.  You can only deal three years ahead.  

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

There is a lot of magical thinking going into drafts. Listening to a caller on WGR say whoever we draft will be our QB for the next 15 years. Seriously? What makes everyone so sure? Keep in mind the franchise QBs we lust after, most were drafted without trading up for.

Most were also not drafted under this CBA. We are in a new world order now in so far as picking QBs.  The last 6 selected in the first round of the NFL Draft have been selected by teams that traded up to get them.  Doesn't guarantee anything.... Paxton Lynch was one of those.... but I think there were 5 first round trades last year and I expect about the same again. Moving about the board is going to happen more not less as we move forwards.  

22 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Most were also not drafted under this CBA. We are in a new world order now in so far as picking QBs.  The last 6 selected in the first round of the NFL Draft have been selected by teams that traded up to get them.  Doesn't guarantee anything.... Paxton Lynch was one of those.... but I think there were 5 first round trades last year and I expect about the same again. Moving about the board is going to happen more not less as we move forwards.  

I agree with this. The value of the draft pick as perceived by GMs has changed. The CBA minimizes the financial damage that a bust can do. This makes the move - up a less risky a proposition than it used to be. In the past, spending multiple picks PLUS a gut punch to your cap was akin to stamping your own pink slip for a GM . 

1 hour ago, Bill_with_it said:

So the opposite of Whaley.... 

So we have already crowned Beane a genius before he selects one player?  I think the tune will change when he hits on only 40% of his picks (like all GMs) and we realize he traded away talent for chance.  The best thing Beane has going for him is that he has a great coach.   

it is foolish to think that there won't be growing pains with a rookie GM

1 hour ago, SouthNYfan said:

I can listen to n'sync and Bieber.

Doesn't mean I like what I'm hearing :)

I can get a good look at a T bone by sticking my head up a bulls ass, but I’d rather take the butchers word for it

Edited by Seanbillsfan2206
  • Haha (+1) 3

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

A couple things are going on here.  The CBA is making it financially more attractive to pick a QB in round 1, and of course teams now fully understand that the relative value of a successful QB dwarfs the value of every other position.  So teams that are drafting high, but who are set at QB (like Indy), are crazy not to trade out of the pick in a draft like this one because value of the pick to a team like the Jets is just too high for them (Indy) to waste it on a position player, no matter how good that player might be.  This won't happen in years where there are fewer top QB prospects, but in a year like this one, QBs will probably be the first three or four players off the board, even though guys like Barkley, Nelson and Fitzpatrick carry higher grades.  So yes, I expect to see more teams trading up for QBs, now and in the future.      

Edited by mannc

2 hours ago, Like A Mofo said:

Philadelphia Eagles GM Howie Roseman said he projects the trade market to be active next week. "People understand that if they want something in this league, they are going to go get it."

So does this mean, if Beane wants that 1st or 2nd overall pick that badly, he can go get it?

Wow. Roseman is really doing Beane a favor here. I really hope Beane reads that quote. I'm sure it'll blow Beane's mind and he didn't already know that. 

I mean, wtf with all these crappy threads? It's ridiculous. 

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Bill_with_it said:

So the opposite of Whaley.... 

Oh, Stop.  I mean, Beane hasn't even had a draft yet. 

I don't think Whaley was particularly driven by emotion on draft day and I don't know what evidence you have.  Do I think the Bills draft driven by other factors than draft board value sometimes in his tenure, Yes.  But it remains to be seen if those days are gone. 

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Party pooper!  :beer:

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan
  • Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, mannc said:

A couple things are going on here.  The CBA is making it financially more attractive to pick a QB in round 1, and of course teams now fully understand that the relative value of a successful QB dwarfs the value of every other position.  So teams that are drafting high, but who are set at QB (like Indy), are crazy not to trade out of the pick in a draft like this one because value of the pick to a team like the Jets is just too high for them (Indy) to waste it on a position player, no matter how good that player might be.  This won't happen in years where there are fewer top QB prospects, but in a year like this one, QBs will probably be the first three or four players off the board, even though guys like Barkley, Nelson and Fitzpatrick carry higher grades.  So yes, I expect to see more teams trading up for QBs, now and in the future.      

Exactly. 

I'm certain we will see four QBs go before pick 12. Someone will trade up if four don't go in the top five picks. 

25 minutes ago, buffalostu2 said:

So we have already crowned Beane a genius before he selects one player?  I think the tune will change when he hits on only 40% of his picks (like all GMs) and we realize he traded away talent for chance.  The best thing Beane has going for him is that he has a great coach.   

it is foolish to think that there won't be growing pains with a rookie GM

No, I havent crowned him anything. I dont believe he will settle on a wb ala bust Manuel, then double down with the Watkins epic blunder. 

4 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Oh, Stop.  I mean, Beane hasn't even had a draft yet. 

I don't think Whaley was particularly driven by emotion on draft day and I don't know what evidence you have.  Do I think the Bills draft driven by other factors than draft board value sometimes in his tenure, Yes.  But it remains to be seen if those days are gone. 

Party pooper!  :beer:

Cmon man, he said it with Maniel and Watkins. He stated multiple times, he wasnt leaving without a qb, and that Watkins was his pick. Then he emotionally deiven himself off of a cliff by doubling down on ej multiple times, even so by arguing with the coaches. Cmon man dont rewrite history. 

15 minutes ago, Bill_with_it said:

No, I havent crowned him anything. I dont believe he will settle on a wb ala bust Manuel, then double down with the Watkins epic blunder. 

Cmon man, he said it with Maniel and Watkins. He stated multiple times, he wasnt leaving without a qb, and that Watkins was his pick. Then he emotionally deiven himself off of a cliff by doubling down on ej multiple times, even so by arguing with the coaches. Cmon man dont rewrite history. 

Since I haven't a clue who "Maniel" is and since it was Nix who stated multiple times he wasn't leaving until the Bills had a QB, your comment about "rewriting history" looks a little ironic.  But surely it must be just as you say.

• Like (+1) 1

This makes me wonder how many trades we will see in the first round. Someone with more ambition and knowledge than I possess should start a poll. I don’t remember a year quite like this one...

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Since I haven't a clue who "Maniel" is and since it was Nix who stated multiple times he wasn't leaving until the Bills had a QB, your comment about "rewriting history" looks a little ironic.  But surely it must be just as you say.

Yeah THE FUTURE GM HAD NO SAY. He also had no say every other year after that, including the year he drafted Sammy..... Just as you say....

3 hours ago, Domdab99 said:

Wow. Roseman is really doing Beane a favor here. I really hope Beane reads that quote. I'm sure it'll blow Beane's mind and he didn't already know that. 

I mean, wtf with all these crappy threads? It's ridiculous. 

Have anything else in mind to pass the time along? And thanks for commenting in the crappy thread, keep em coming.