The Ice storm of 1991

Ice bowl 67

I was born three weeks before the storm hit. When they found out the power would be out for an extended period of time, a bunch of my family ended up at my uncles house, because he had a wood stove. My mother has a great Polaroid of me sleeping in a laundry basket fashioned into makeshift bassonett.

Edited by sodbuster

Basements flooded. You couldn’t drive.  Not because the ice, but because everything was so white you couldn’t tell the ground from the horizon and you might have just driven off the road.  

School was cancelled for over a week. Power was out for longer.  

We had a dry basement, kerosene heater, and the back porch was our fridge.

good times 

1 hour ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

When was the one in 1991... I would have been in town then... But traveling, I don't seem to remember that event.  ??

It was more Rochester and east.  I remember driving back from Syracuse and so many trees were down along the Thruway.

https://www.nytimes.com/1991/03/05/nyregion/an-ice-storm-paralyzes-western-and-northern-new-york.html

9 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

When was the one in 1991... I would have been in town then... But traveling, I don't seem to remember that event.  ??

It really didn't effect Buffalo as I remember it was more east.  If I recall there were parts east of Rochester heading over to Syracuse that were without power for a few weeks. 

I remember it well. My school was closed for 2 weeks. We were without power for a week if I remember correctly. I was 11 at the time and remember lighting our house with candles. Our basement was flooded with a foot of water because the sump pump had no power and this was before everyone's sump pump had a battery back up. The fire department was litterally going down the road house to house pumping out people's basements. My parents had a gas stove so we at least had hot food

On 4/16/2018 at 10:00 PM, Ice bowl 67 said:

Anyone remember this? I hear a lot of people on this site mention that was one of the biggest Ice Storms ever. Anyone remember what they were doing at this time?

...yup...out for nine days...........

4 hours ago, Chef Jim said:

Ice storm?......Ice storm?.......Ice storm?   :unsure:

Nope, don't know what that is.  

Let me try to explain this to you......it’s a storm, with lots of ice. Not just in the coolers outside the convenience store, but all over everything! 

Is that the one where they lost all the trees? 

I just moved out to Colorado (from Rochester) a couple months before the storm.

One early morning the phone rang.  It was my sister-in-law.  The first thing she said was, "I just thought I'd call you to let you know our power is back on." 

I had no idea anything even happened!

On 4/16/2018 at 10:34 PM, ExiledInIllinois said:

For BFLo... At least I remember, March 1976 was the big ice.  Of course, Blizzard of '77 for snow.

'76 was around the time international cable started to deliver service to the eastern 'burbs...the boxes had push switches on them and a remote control was unheard of. My pop got the service for the 20 ,or so,Sabres home games they showed on CH 10.

2 hours ago, JÂy RÛßeÒ said:

Power came back on halfway thru day 11.  People were going out to hug the power guys.

I don't know how many days I was out after the October Surprise, but you never thought you'd be so happy to see bucket trucks in the neighborhood. 

• Like (+1) 1