Schofield: Best NFL Landing Spots for Top 5 QB Draft Prospects

Quarterback: Josh Rosen, UCLA

Team: Buffalo Bills

Offensive Scheme: Erhardt-Perkins

Which brings us to the aforementioned Mr. Rosen.

The UCLA product might be the most schematically-diverse quarterback in this class. With his accuracy to all levels and his arm talent, Rosen can function in a downfield passing offense. His quick thinking and ability in the pre-snap phase translate well to a West Coast-based system. Looking around the list of teams that need a quarterback, and seem to be inching toward the top of the draft to grab one, the Buffalo Bills and new offensive coordinator Brian Daboll might be the ideal fit.

First, a few words on Daboll as an offensive mind. Last season he was the offensive coordinator for the Alabama Crimson Tide, but the bulk of his coaching career has been spent in New England with the Patriots. While in Foxborough, Daboll’s offensive mindset was shaped by the Erhardt-Perkins system, which is most known for its terminology but also has some core offensive tenants, such as timing and rhythm in the passing game, attacking the defense working off play-action, and focusing the passing attack in the short- and intermediate-areas of the field.

Because of his mindset, his crisp mechanics and footwork, his ability to quickly process defenses and his ability to make anticipation throws, Rosen is a perfect fit for this offensive system given these factors. You can see how he would translate to such a system on plays like this one from his days at UCLA:

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 5

11 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

After all this QB talk, watch!  We will stay where we are, not move up, and draft a LB or something.

Bills Nation will implode, other than a handful of nut jobs who think that is a good move.

:lol:

...probably why they're here posting while McBeane is at OBD for around $2 mil/yr...............

1 hour ago, Fadingpain said:

After all this QB talk, watch!  We will stay where we are, not move up, and draft a LB or something.

Bills Nation will implode, other than a handful of nut jobs who think that is a good move.

:lol:

I am starting to think that we have over valued the QB position. Their are a lot of impact playmakers in the top 10 who are not QB's. I think the 2 prototype type QB's in Darnold and Allen go early with Mayfield and Rosen dropping. 

• Like (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

I am starting to think that we have over valued the QB position. Their are a lot of impact playmakers in the top 10 who are not QB's. I think the 2 prototype type QB's in Darnold and Allen go early with Mayfield and Rosen dropping. 

I hope you are correct in saying Mayfield n Rosen drop. We can draft them without giving up as much!:)

• Like (+1) 1

Is this really about the best fit or where Schofield would prefer to see each player go?

Jackson comes from an offensive system rooted in the Erhardt-Perkins scheme

If this is the system Lamar ran in college, why wouldn't he be a better fit for the Bills? 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...probably why they're here posting while McBeane is at OBD for around $2 mil/yr...............

Bills nation would implode if we don’t draft a QB in round one, and rightfully so. McBeane won’t be making $2 mil/yr at OBD for long if they fail to get a QB in this draft. 

The key thing that stands out to me there is the idea that Rosen is the most "schematically diverse" quarterback in the draft. That is huge. I believe Brandon Beane said something along the lines of coordinators come and go so you have to have a quarterback that can fit any offensive scheme. That is Rosen. People may not like his attitude and all that stuff, but he fits everything that Beane has said he wants in a quarterback to an tee. 

Give me Rosen and we are set for a long time. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Quarterback: Josh Rosen, UCLA

Which brings us to the aforementioned Mr. Rosen.

The UCLA product might be the most schematically-diverse quarterback in this class. With his accuracy to all levels and his arm talent, Rosen can function in a downfield passing offense. His quick thinking and ability in the pre-snap phase translate well to a West Coast-based system. Looking around the list of teams that need a quarterback, and seem to be inching toward the top of the draft to grab one, the Buffalo Bills and new offensive coordinator Brian Daboll might be the ideal fit.

First, a few words on Daboll as an offensive mind. Last season he was the offensive coordinator for the Alabama Crimson Tide, but the bulk of his coaching career has been spent in New England with the Patriots. While in Foxborough, Daboll’s offensive mindset was shaped by the Erhardt-Perkins system, which is most known for its terminology but also has some core offensive tenants, such as timing and rhythm in the passing game, attacking the defense working off play-action, and focusing the passing attack in the short- and intermediate-areas of the field.

Because of his mindset, his crisp mechanics and footwork, his ability to quickly process defenses and his ability to make anticipation throws, Rosen is a perfect fit for this offensive system given these factors. You can see how he would translate to such a system on plays like this one from his days at UCLA:

Good find bud thank you!?

• Like (+1) 1