If Bills give up as much as 4 or 5 picks for a QB

Would you be upset if he didn’t start this year? The amount of picks they are talking about giving up, for a guy who may not even play this year seems crazy. If we move up does AJ still have a shot to start? And if AJ starts does he have much chance of success with the team with all the holes we will still have giving all our picks away?

If we also give next years First rounder it could be a very high pick with all the holes we will have this year imagine finally getting the #1 pick next year and we gave it away seems like a Bills thing to happen!

Edited by Kingston Bills Fan
  • Like (+1) 1

I don't think it matters to me if he starts the year as the starter or not. Ultimately, if we invest that much in him, he's the future. And if he's not starting by mid season it's very likely AJ is performing well and the team is in a good position. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Kingston Bills Fan said:

Would you be upset if he didn’t start this year? The amount of picks they are talking about giving up, for a guy who may not even play this year seems crazy. If we move up does AJ still have a shot to start? And if AJ starts does he have much chance of success with the team with all the holes we will still have giving all our picks away?

If we also give next years First rounder it could be a very high pick with all the holes we will have this year imagine finally getting the #1 pick next year and we gave it away seems like a Bills thing to happen!

Only way I see a rookie QB playing is if AJ gets hurt or he really sucks. Even if he plays just ok then he will continue to play until the Bills feel the new QB is ready. The Bills picking a rookie QB isnt about next season, it is about the future. 

The Bills will not have the top pick next year. Both the Rams and Eagles gave up multiple high round picks from two drafts to move up. Seems to have worked out for them. Saying its a Bills thing to happen makes no sense. Completely different people running the show. 

• Like (+1) 1

The best player plays, the way Beane talks about the cost of trading up and the player he is looking for in that spot it sounds like he is planning on that player being the best QB on the roster from day 1 and should be able to win the job. If we sit tight at 12, then the player may sit because it indicates less conviction by the front office

There are two QBs in this draft that I think have a pretty high probability of starting in their rookie season, depending on where they end up: Baker Mayfield and Josh Rosen.  If the Bills draft any other QB and put him in the starting role, I would be pretty worried about the season.  Trading up and giving up a bunch of picks to get that QB is another issue.  I suppose, I would have to trust the long term plan, and the hope that the Bills are eventually going to have a long term starter because they did so.  It might make me a little nervous, but not upset if he wasn't ready to start.

Almost all qb's will eventually start their rookie year, they usually get in there by week 12 at the latest but obviously depends on a million things like how the current starter is playing, bye weeks, development, injuries, strength of opponent etc

I will say I agreed with Peterman going in when he did because there was essentially no crowd noise problem with that temp stadium the Chargers played in (and Tyrod stunk it up badly the previous few weeks) but we underestimated that Chargers pass rush--or maybe coach Lynn just knew how to exploit guys like Mills--but that was the worst game of the year protection wise, and was obviously a nightmare first start because of it.

The bottom line is throw three good qb's in camp, all of them will have good potential, and see who emerges.   Maybe the rook does sit out the whole year, that would be a good thing in many ways.

30 minutes ago, mattynh said:

If they end up with a franchise QB the picks will be forgettable.  If the guy busts then everyone will look in hindsight at the best player taken after each pick and say we have had 1,2,3,4,5.....

true.  so about 25% chance it works out. 

I don't feel good about the Bills giving up four or five picks to draft one of these QBs when more than half the time QBs drafted in the top ten are busts. 

They have too many holes--many of which they created themselves--to fill on this team.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, LedyardCTbillsfan said:

If we are giving up 4+ picks to get our franchise QB, let's make sure he is ready to play before we throw him to the wolves, even if it means him missing most or all of next year.

Wolves? Hide the rubber mats.