The Top 5 Most Polarizing Figures in Buffalo Bills History

57 minutes ago, BuffaloRush said:

No he doesn’t make the list.  In order to be polarizing, you have to have an equal number of fans love you and hate you at the same time.  OJ is a villain.  He doesn’t have enough support from the fan base.  Most fans don’t like OJ for obvious reasons 

Ahhhhhh .... If your talking O.J. the football player, I don't agree. When he was playing he was pretty much thought of as a God of the gridiron ... if your talking post football career about the O.J. charged with the murder of his ex-wife and Ron Goldman, I think he is almost universally despised. In neither case was he a "polarizing" person.

Same with Saban .... when he coached the Bills he was pretty much loved .... when he walked away from them, pretty much hated ... when he came back, pretty much forgiven.

One you left off the list was Kemp/Lamonica ... half the fans LOVED Kemp and hated Lamonica ... the other half LOVED Lamonica and hated Kemp.

42 minutes ago, Tisker A Tasker said:

I wasn't around in the 60's, but how has the Mad Bomber, Daryle Lamonica not been mentioned?

Not only for his on field contributions but if what is true that he was nailing another player's wife and that was the real reason for his trade to Oakland.  

The latter half of the 1960's might have been less painful for Buffalo but odds are we still would have not won a lot.  The team was fairly devoid of talent by 1968 and we would not have been able to draft Simpson had we not hit bottom.

1 hour ago, BuffaloRush said:

There are people actually supporting OJ?  LOL and I certainly will take you up on the offer.  I bet that if I started an “Is OJ Guilty” thread we’d have at least 80% saying yes 

But none who truly know the case.

The man who clearly takes the title didn't even make the list.

EJ Manuel is easily the most polarizing Bill of all time. We tend to forget the extreme dedication so many middle aged fans had for a 22 year old millionaire they'd never met who defined mediocrity to a T. It was truly a wonder to behold.

E.J. fanboy love made Whaley fanboy love look like mere adoration by comparison (of course, EJ and Whaley's fanboys are easy to compare because they're mostly the same people).

Doug Flutie doesn't count because that was back before normal people used internet message boards to talk about things like football teams, frittatas, and underwater UFOs. Plus, pretty much everyone outside of Macungie understood that Flutie was awesome and Robosack sucked big floppy donkey dick, so it really wasn't much of a controversy.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, BuffaloRush said:

We will see. I am going to start an OJ Simpson thread and we’ll see what the response is

Aw don't.  I remember when the killings first happened, a guy at work here.  "No way did OJ do it.  He ran for 2,000 yards!!!"  Um OK

1 hour ago, macaroni said:

One you left off the list was Kemp/Lamonica ... half the fans LOVED Kemp and hated Lamonica ... the other half LOVED Lamonica and hated Kemp.

Hated both Kemp the QB and the congressman  LOL.  Trickle down economics

Even in recent history I would say Watkins is more polarizing than Taylor.  Watkins was drafted high in a controversial trade up, showed flashes of immense talent, was oft injured,  questions abound whether he was ever utilized right and the debate rages on.

Most everyone agrees Taylor is a limited QB.  The debate is whether you run an offense that suits his game and try to build a great D and team around him and Dilfer your way to a Championship or sell the farm and draft a blue chip prospect.

3 hours ago, BuffaloRush said:

I think you might be misinterpreting what polarizing means.  It means that it divides the fan base.  Doug Whaley divides fan base much more than Doug Flutie does - as do the other 4 on the list 

I can't think of one fan who "loved" Whaley.  Fans either hate him, or think he was "meh."

Flutie is either loved or hated.

I think you might be the one misinterpreting what polarizing means.

21 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

Even in recent history I would say Watkins is more polarizing than Taylor.  Watkins was drafted high in a controversial trade up, showed flashes of immense talent, was oft injured,  questions abound whether he was ever utilized right and the debate rages on.

Most everyone agrees Taylor is a limited QB.  The debate is whether you run an offense that suits his game and try to build a great D and team around him and Dilfer your way to a Championship or sell the farm and draft a blue chip prospect.

I agree with this completely.  Watkins is definitely more controversial than Taylor.

34 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I can't think of one fan who "loved" Whaley.  Fans either hate him, or think he was "meh."

Flutie is either loved or hated.

I think you might be the one misinterpreting what polarizing means.

You cant think of anyone that loved him?  Look how many people in this forum defend him anytime there’s criticism.  I disagree with you 100% here.  Whaley is #1

41 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

Watkins surely is worth consideration as he too polarizing.  In my opinion, it pales in comparison to Tyrod this season, but perhaps that’s because the Bills already traded Sammy last Spring

Just now, BuffaloRush said:

You cant think of anyone that loved him?  Look how many people in this forum defend him anytime there’s criticism.  I disagree with you 100% here.  Whaley is #1

I defend Whaley all the time because I think he was a very good GM.  But I also (like 99% of people) realize that he chained himself to EJ for too long and it (along with the Pegulas) was the death of him.

But I cannot think of anyone who thinks Whaley was an awesome GM.

There are a lot of people (unbelievably) who think Flutie is the best QB since Kelly.  And there are just as many people who think he sucked and was bad for the team.

It's not even a contest, as to who the most divisive Bills figure has been.  And Flutie had the gift of dividing the locker room as much as he did the fan base.

• Like (+1) 1