Craziest Draft you've ever seen?

4 hours ago, row_33 said:

Crazy reality was the VIkings unintentionally letting the clock run out on their first pick two years in a row.

The Jets taking as their first pick someone who was laughingly way down the depth chart of every other team, the papers were rattling as everyone dove in to find how he was a later round pick unanimously, he had a decent career with the Jets.

Was this the one where the Jets took a fullback and a fan very loudly yelled "OH NO" on camera?

Feels like teams know they can't really build a dynasty and accept that they have to gear up for a good 1 or 2 year run.

I guess I'm theorizing every draft will feel crazy because several teams will be in win now mode and trade away picks while others will stock pile picks to get a good batch of rookies the make a run a few years down the road before the rookie contract ends.

1983, by a mile.

Six first round QBs, with the consensus #1 guy -- Elway --  publicly stating he won't play for the team with the #1 pick, and George Steinbrenner offering him a pro baseball contract.  Marino, who many had as the top guy a year earlier, tumbles down the boards because he had an 'off' year and there were drug rumors.  And Kelly coming off a season ending injury.

5 hours ago, Zerovotlz said:

I have tickets to attend day 1 in person.  Chiefs don't have a day 1 pick (as of now at least) but I can't wait to see how this whole thing goes down...should be alot of manuevering day 1 for QB etc....can't wait to see it live.

Serious question.. how do you get tickets??

The '99 draft stands out with McNabb being booed.   Polian drafting James over Williams and then Ditka giving up the farm for Williams.  Also, five QB's picked with the first 12 picks.  Meanwhile, we got Winfield and Peerless. 

Edited by Doc Brown

1 hour ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

Serious question.. how do you get tickets??

I live in Ft. Worth, Texas and they are doing a lottery down here for tickets....but that isn't how I got mine.  I am a Chiefs season ticket holder and I won two ticket to the Chiefs draft party down here, and attend day 1 of the draft through them.  

drafttickets.PNG

9 hours ago, BuffAlone said:

So, with all the noise, moves, new GM's/ HC's, trades,etc this year, I was thinking that THIS is the craziest draft I can honestly remember in my 43 years( 30+ as a die hard Bill's fan). 

So I thought it would be cool to break up the monotnomy on the boards and pose a question of what everyone's memories are of the craziest draft in their lifetime, but more importantly, why?

A lot of big-time moves have happened in my memory. Manning/River's trade. Ricky Williams. Hell, even Herschel Walker. Anybody care to share their thoughts?

Ditka trading all the picks was nuts.

Minnesota being late with their pick then a bunch of teams jumped in front of them to pick.

9 hours ago, row_33 said:

Crazy reality was the VIkings unintentionally letting the clock run out on their first pick two years in a row.

The Jets taking as their first pick someone who was laughingly way down the depth chart of every other team, the papers were rattling as everyone dove in to find how he was a later round pick unanimously, he had a decent career with the Jets.

Two in  row ??

4 hours ago, Zerovotlz said:

I live in Ft. Worth, Texas and they are doing a lottery down here for tickets....but that isn't how I got mine.  I am a Chiefs season ticket holder and I won two ticket to the Chiefs draft party down here, and attend day 1 of the draft through them.  

drafttickets.PNG

Yeah I guess I'll try the lottery but sounds like that's a pretty small selection

14 hours ago, row_33 said:

what was the name of the Jets player you are talking about? Or what year?

I thought 2000 was pretty interesting with the Raiders taking Sebass with the 17th pick in the first round.  Not to be outdone with a kicker, the Saints took Russell Erxleben (Punter) with the 11th pick in 1979.  My draft experience doesn't go much earlier than that.  There's always interesting trades and picks every single year.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/3/2018 at 4:06 PM, row_33 said:

Yeah I can't think of anything else that was crazier than that moment.

First round picks were being chosen and announced in 30 seconds.

Edited by Mark Vader

On 4/3/2018 at 7:14 PM, SinceThe70s said:

Good one.

I'll throw out Ditka trading away his draft for Ricky Williams...and rocking the dreads.

How about the Browns turning down Ditka's trade even though they were an expansion team in need of tons of help.