Brandin Cooks to the Rams for the 23rd - Pats eyeing Rosen - per Allbright

Isn't the most rational reason Tom Brady is fine with Cooks leaving is because Belichek has a deal in place to replace him with a guy like OBJ - and he knows that? Certainly such a decision to trade Cooks wasn't made without at least some conversation with the franchise QB.

Two #1 picks, at the bottom of the round, in a perfect place for the Giants to draft an OT (McGlinchey) and a G (Wynn/Hernandez). And oh by the way, 2 #1s. The asking price for Beckham. 

7 minutes ago, N.Y. Orangeman said:

Happy to help you....

1.  Please see their current cap situation.  http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-england-patriots/cap/  ;

2.  If you had read the thread, some Pats fans believe they will be just fine with Gronk/Edelman/Hogan/White; and

3.  They have significant holes on the OL/DL/Secondary.

Ok lets get petty with this I guess. I dont care what Pats fans "think" they have with those guys.  Dont be a sheep and follow everything more knowledgeable than you have to say. Have some confidence bud, be your own man. And to my knowledge they let all those positions go via free agency and didnt sign anybody to fill those holes.  While they did need to shed those contracts, they have only lost a great amount of talent this off season and havent recouped much.  Ill never sleep on the Patriots with a lack of talent, but I dont see them getting better this year. 

What moves have they made this off season to go all in and win now? Besides trade a good wr for a draft pick

2 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

McVay knows this, but SW was going to be too expensive for their " load up for a SB run" plan.

So they traded for a receiver in the last year of his deal? Cooks will want to get paid next year too. Based on his production alone I could see him getting the same contract Sammy got. So that doesn't make any sense, all they did was punt their big WR contract one year and they gave up a 1st rounder to do it.

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

So they traded for a receiver in the last year of his deal? Cooks will want to get paid next year too. Based on his production alone I could see him getting the same contract Sammy got. So that doesn't make any sense, all they did was punt their big WR contract one year and they gave up a 1st rounder to do it.

It's another year as opposed to spending $$ this year. They still have to pay Donald, their best player. You can question the wisdom of Les Snead and it's fair criticism. He appears content to kick the can down the road somewhat and wanted to plug a hole . Nothing the Rams have done points to careful planning for the future. It's this year and next for LA. 

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

They shouldn't be using a 1st round pick on a receiver in the first place. They have Woods and Kupp, and Gurley is a very capable pass catcher. Plus the whole point of using draft picks in the draft is you get a good player on a rookie deal. That's how you build a team for long term success. They're locked into a 2 year window after which some of their core players will leave in free agency and they won't have any depth to replace them with.

Why shouldn't they be using a 1st round pick on receiver? Says you? They rotate receivers in and out quite a bit. That's their game plan. WR is an important part of their offense.

You're acting like they gave up their entire draft. They gave up a 1st round pick for a proven player and their 2nd for Watkins. There is no guarantee whoever they would've selected at 23 amounts to anything at all. The Rams still have a 3rd round pick and 3 4th round picks. They also have the entire 2019 draft. They also have $81m plus some rollover for 2019 salary cap and can lock up their core players. All of this before Goff hits his first big pay day.

They are actually being pretty smart. They are signing short term deals and loading up on talent while Goff is in the early stages of a rookie deal. They aren't in cap hell. They can draft again next year.

4 minutes ago, BillsMafia13 said:

Ok lets get petty with this I guess. I dont care what Pats fans "think" they have with those guys.  Dont be a sheep and follow everything more knowledgeable than you have to say. Have some confidence bud, be your own man. And to my knowledge they let all those positions go via free agency and didnt sign anybody to fill those holes.  While they did need to shed those contracts, they have only lost a great amount of talent this off season and havent recouped much.  Ill never sleep on the Patriots with a lack of talent, but I dont see them getting better this year. 

What moves have they made this off season to go all in and win now? Besides trade a good wr for a draft pick

I'll ignore the insult and bite.  They let the UFA's go because they had no other choice.   They have $15m in space, which going to the UFA period put them at 25th in the league.  Furthermore, please read the Rodak article on ESPN, where there is some thought that with Edelman coming back, the unit won't have much of a setback.  They will recoup the talent with 5 picks in the top 100 or so, where I believe they will look to find an OT, a DT, a DE and at least one CB.  In short, in order to get better, they need to get better on defense and fill the Solder hole.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, N.Y. Orangeman said:

I'll ignore the insult and bite.  They let the UFA's go because they had no other choice.   They have $15m in space, which going to the UFA period put them at 25th in the league.  Furthermore, please read the Rodak article on ESPN, where there is some thought that with Edelman coming back, the unit won't have much of a setback.  They will recoup the talent with 5 picks in the top 100 or so, where I believe they will look to find an OT, a DT, a DE and at least one CB.  In short, in order to get better, they need to get better on defense and fill the Solder hole.

Haha good, glad you can dish and take it.  I agree with the base of that but you said it yourself.  They dont have money to go full on win mode and you cant tell me they arent in the negative on their talent level compared to last year.  They had to let go  a decent amount of talent and will replace it with mostly draft picks.  Not a rebuild but not going all in like the Rams are

14 hours ago, Doc said:

Say what?  So you think that 8 QB's are going within the top 21 picks? 

Exactly.  That made no sense.

What I am saying, is if they are eyeing a QB at 22, and IF the Pats also want a QB, then it would be possible for the Pats to jump ahead of the Bills and take the QB.

If you are saying that all 8 QBs are roughly equivalent or that there is the "big 4" then a tier of Rudolph and Jackson and then 2-3 other 3rd tier QBs - all QBs roughly equal in their tier, then I would be surprised if any given team thinks that.

For argument's sake, say that the Bills think highly of Rudolph and are shut out of the top 4, they might be perfectly happy to sit at 22 at take Rudolph.  However, now with the Pats sitting at 23, it would be an easy trade up to get in front of the Bills.

Of course, this assumes that the Pats are 1) in the market for a QB and 2) like the same guy the Bills do.  But to point 2, once you get past the big 4, there are only Rudolph, Jackson, Lauletta and White that could conceivably be considered at 22.

7 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I really think they could take Christian Kirk at 31,and he would be an immediate production monster in that offense.

They have huge needs at T and CB.  Losing Butler hurts their D and losing Solder is big.  I think they are ok at WR.  Edelman is coming back and they added Kenny Britt, who I think will be good for them.

That pick also allows them to nab one the falling QB prospects and still get 3 or 4 starters from their draft

Targets:

CB Oliver

CB Alexander

CB Hughes

OT MIller

TE Hurst

TE Goedert

WR Miller

WR KIrk

WR Washington

QB Rudolph

QB Lauletta

QB Jackson

17 hours ago, Chuck Wagon said:

I'm not a "I quit on the team guy".

That being said, if Beane sits on these picks and watches the Jets and Pats move in to take QBs, I quit.

Promises, promises, promises.

12 minutes ago, N.Y. Orangeman said:

I think they want McGlinchey.

24 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

It's another year as opposed to spending $$ this year

If that was his reasoning he's even dumber than I thought. You don't spend a 1st round pick to delay a contract by one year. I would be curious to hear Snead explain his reasoning on this one because I can't figure it out. At least the Peters trade made some amount of sense even though I thought it was dumb.

13 minutes ago, BrooklynBills said:

They have huge needs at T and CB.  Losing Butler hurts their D and losing Solder is big.  I think they are ok at WR.  Edelman is coming back and they added Kenny Britt, who I think will be good for them.

That pick also allows them to nab one the falling QB prospects and still get 3 or 4 starters from their draft

Targets:

CB Oliver

CB Alexander

CB Hughes

OT MIller

TE Hurst

TE Goedert

WR Miller

WR KIrk

WR Washington

QB Rudolph

QB Lauletta

QB Jackson

Completely agree - while I do think they will take a QB I think it is very unlikely they will trade up and use all their assets to do it. They will take one in the 2nd or later. They don’t need one to play immediately and they are arrogant/confident enough to think their system can win without a top 10 draft pick at the helm.

thry will be patient and let the draft come to them, and they will be praised for it effusively (look at all this young cheap talent they have acquired by not paying their own!) Whereas any amount of patience displayed by the Bills in the draft would be an egregious circumstance and grounds for firing. /s

in regards to Rosen/Pats that’s a match made in hell. Kraft and Brady are huge Trump supporters and belichick wants robots.

Edited by YoloinOhio

2 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

If that was his reasoning he's even dumber than I thought. You don't spend a 1st round pick to delay a contract by one year. I would be curious to hear Snead explain his reasoning on this one because I can't figure it out. At least the Peters trade made some amount of sense even though I thought it was dumb.

It's the only thing I can surmise. It fills the hole left by SWs departure cheaply this year. What else could it be? Again, the Rams MO right now appears to be win now, whatever the cost. One year can make a big difference in cap space. If the Bills needed to re sign a top WR this year they'd be SOL. Next year ? Looks a lot better. I felt KC practically gave Peters away, seems they let emotions get the best of them and just wanted him gone. Anyway, you don't get a huge window of opportunity in the NFL anymore. Look at SEA, just a couple years removed from back to back SBs. 

1 minute ago, What a Tuel said:

You might as well say Brady. They aren't trading either.

LOTS of talk about trading him out. Reports coming out of the owners meetings that 3 teams are talking to Bellicheat about a trade, as he made it known he wants to move him