Brandin Cooks to the Rams for the 23rd - Pats eyeing Rosen - per Allbright

16 hours ago, N.Y. Orangeman said:

Can you imagine the backlash if the dealt Brady’s top WR (arguable, I guess) for a future QB in the last days of the best QB ever, after losing so much in the free agency period and, even before that, needing so much on D?  This is about the final run and beefing up, not rebuilding.  A QB in the second or later?  I can buy it, but they aren’t competitors for our guy, whichever one of the four it is.

This makes 0 sense logically and grammatically. 

17 minutes ago, BillsMafia13 said:

who they will get 1 season, will have to pay way more than a rookie, and will lose all value for next year unless they sign him to a big contract.  Cooks/Sammy were just rentals.

Nope, they made this deal with the intent of signing him to a contract. 

He'll only get more expensive. It is in their best interest to sign him now. 

Sammy was a big time bust. They took it on the chin, moved on and are reinvesting into a better player at a position of need. 

15 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I highly doubt they are going to trade away everything for a QB. They just don’t want to pay Cooks. They are loading up for another run with Tom. They will take Lauletta in the 2nd

How is trading away their best WR for a draft pick loading up for now?

1 minute ago, TheElectricCompany said:

Nope, they made this deal with the intent of signing him to a contract. 

He'll only get more expensive. It is in their best interest to sign him now. 

Sammy was a big time bust. They took it on the chin, moved on and are reinvesting into a better player at a position of need. 

How can you say that for sure?  Seems like they traded every draft pick away for 1 year contracts.  Idk the details on any contract  but this is the Brooklyn Nets trading all their picks but in the NFL.  The Rams will be good though.

6 minutes ago, horned dogs said:

Didn't know they  had 81M, but I do know they have some huge paydays coming up.

And they can afford them, the ones they deem important. They also have Goff for another 2 years after 2019 before he's due a big payday, so guys they sign next year could eat up a lot of their 2019/2020 salary cap. Then they'll have space for Goff, if he carries on improving.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BillsMafia13 said:

How is trading away their best WR for a draft pick loading up for now?

How can you say that for sure?  Seems like they traded every draft pick away for 1 year contracts.  Idk the details on any contract  but this is the Brooklyn Nets trading all their picks but in the NFL.  The Rams will be good though.

They have a bad OL and Cooks wasn’t a good fit. He runs deep routes and tom needs to get the ball out quickly. They have holes that they need to fill in the draft because they are in bad shape cap wise. They need to build that team around him with young talent because last year they got caught with lack of depth and tried to fill in with vets, didn’t always work. They always have a chance to win the SB with Brady but Cooks isn’t the key there.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, BillsMafia13 said:

It's an assumption, but a very rational and logical one. 

If you're giving up a 1st rounder, it should be for a very proven and young asset that can help you long term. You should expect to pay them market value. 

They wanted it in Sammy and had to give up a late 2nd rounder, but it didn't work out.  They'll keep swinging. 

5 hours ago, nucci said:

Did anyone criticize Belichick for paying a 1st for Cooks last year or was that a brilliant move too?

I actually thought that was a lot to pay for him then as well.

12 minutes ago, BillsMafia13 said:

This makes 0 sense logically and grammatically. 

If you can't keep up with the conversation and the thread, the kId's table is always available to you.  I don't take anyone who has "mafia" in there handle seriously.

Edited by N.Y. Orangeman

Good trade for both teams.  Cooks is great, but Brady isn’t a deep ball guy these days.

I’m not that concerned about the Pats  having more draft capital.  BB the coach covers the flaws of BB the GM.  If Beane is sold on a guy, he won’t be outmaneuvered by a team that has less to offer

3 minutes ago, N.Y. Orangeman said:

If you can't keep up with the conversation and the thread, the kId's table is always available to you.  I don't take anyone who has "mafia" in there handle seriously.

Thats pretty neat, looks like a drunk child typed your post so sounds right.  If its the final run and NOT rebuilding, why did they let all their talent leave in FA?  Why did they trade their best WR for an un-established draft pick/rookie? Please help me see the light

2 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Don't you love how the Pats are "all set" to move up to #2 but the Bills, who have 2 or 3 times the draft capital to make a trade, will have a hard time?

I am going to steal BBFS for this one. Bills fans are a beaten down bunch who believe what can go wrong will go wrong.

2 minutes ago, What a Tuel said:

I am going to steal BBFS for this one. Bills fans are a beaten down bunch who believe what can go wrong will go wrong.

I’m listening to our local radio talk about this and I’m dying. They are like “the Giants might be interested in those 2 1st rd picks from the Pats. I could see them making a move to 2”

ffs

7 minutes ago, BillsMafia13 said:

Thats pretty neat, looks like a drunk child typed your post so sounds right.  If its the final run and NOT rebuilding, why did they let all their talent leave in FA?  Why did they trade their best WR for an un-established draft pick/rookie? Please help me see the light

Happy to help you....

1.  Please see their current cap situation.  http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-england-patriots/cap/  ;

2.  If you had read the thread, some Pats fans believe they will be just fine with Gronk/Edelman/Hogan/White; and

3.  They have significant holes on the OL/DL/Secondary.

Edited by N.Y. Orangeman

2 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I’m listening to our local radio talk about this and I’m dying. They are like “the Giants might be interested in those 2 1st rd picks from the Pats. I could see them making a move to 2”

ffs

Why would any self-respecting team in the top 5 trade with the Pats**? The Giants certainly don't get along with the Pats** and I'm sure the Broncos don't either.

2 minutes ago, Wayne Cubed said:

Why would any self-respecting team in the top 5 trade with the Pats**? The Giants certainly don't get along with the Pats** and I'm sure the Broncos don't either.

Their 2 late 1sts are not even close to being enough to move up that high anyway. It’s hilarious. 

Elway wouldn’t trade with NE on his worst day.

Edited by YoloinOhio

29 minutes ago, Wayne Cubed said:

Were they going to get a receiver at #23 with Cooks ability? Probably not

They shouldn't be using a 1st round pick on a receiver in the first place. They have Woods and Kupp, and Gurley is a very capable pass catcher. Plus the whole point of using draft picks in the draft is you get a good player on a rookie deal. That's how you build a team for long term success. They're locked into a 2 year window after which some of their core players will leave in free agency and they won't have any depth to replace them with.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BrooklynBills said:

Pats are not taking a 1st round QB.

IMO they want to come away with a CB, pass catcher, and T.

I really think they could take Christian Kirk at 31,and he would be an immediate production monster in that offense.

4 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

They shouldn't be using a 1st round pick on a receiver in the first place. They have Woods and Kupp, and Gurley is a very capable pass catcher. Plus the whole point of using draft picks in the draft is you get a good player on a rookie deal. That's how you build a team for long term success. They're locked into a 2 year window after which some of their core players will leave in free agency and they won't have any depth to replace them with.

They needed a WR to fill the Watkins role ( some Bills fans will be loathe to admit it) and the WRs you mentioned don't have that skill set. McVay knows this, but SW was going to be too expensive for their " load up for a SB run" plan. Hence the early interest in OBJ trade as well, but 2 firsts is pretty steep. They weren't getting a WR that could take the top off the defense with 23 in this draft. Cooks is a sensible replacement. The Rams are selling out at all costs to win a SB. Definitely not thinking more than a year or two ahead. 

• Like (+1) 1