Moving up to #2 = No Playoffs for the next three years

6 minutes ago, #34fan said:

It's a once-in-a-blue-moon opportunity to load up on NFL starters... It'd be crazy to trade it away for someone who might not be.

KEEP THE DAMN PICKS! -Go Bills!

One of the La Canfora quotes from the other thread is that some believe there are only 17-21 true first round picks in this draft. Not sure what that means for the rest of the draft, but to me it sounds like "loading up on NFL starters" is a long shot.

57 minutes ago, Domdab99 said:

Moving up is sexy, it's fun, it's what's for dinner these days. But moving up will set the team's growth back three, maybe five years. Possibly longer. This team has so many holes, that to throw away all these picks on a QB who might be good is insanity. 

If we can somehow move up and still have 1 2nd and 1 3rd...I'd be willing to listen. But only for Rosen or Mayfield. Trading up for any of the other QBs is insanity. Especially since Jackson has a very good chance of being there at 12. Hell, he has a good chance of being there at 22.

I'd rather pick an elite player at 12 - Roquan Smith, Derwin James, Vita Vea....etc. Use the rest of the picks on holes like WR, OL, DL, LB....

Throwing away this draft along with a first next next year? No thanks. 

contrary to the 6 + confused comments you have,  I agree with the premise.

Getting a #1, 2 or 3 is too damn costly for a team "still rebuilding :oops: retooling ". 

1 minute ago, RochesterRob said:

I don't see the term "franchise QB" stamped on any of these guys' foreheads.  Instead we have a bunch of guys with both a high ceiling and a low floor due to in part personal attitude.  If there were truly a franchise QB there then the Browns would have been presented with "we'll give you not just one farm but two farms" for the number 1 overall pick.

The Eagles got over the small school thing, and it worked out OK. You have to swing the bat when you think you’ve got the right guy. It’s our FO who has to decide who they believe in, then live or die (well, get fired anyway) for the decision.

If they don’t believe in any of them, don’t draft another EJ “just because”.  They are the football people, we are the fans. They put their careers on the line, but then they are the experts. We’ll see in time. 

I guess I imagined a team that:

1) Held the Falcons pretty much in check on their home turf

2) Beat the Chiefs at Arrowhead

3) Mostly stayed in and won a few games the Bills would normally lose. Except for a one-game brain fart (that carried into three games) by a rookie head coach where he benched the starting QB in favor of a not ready rookie..

Newsflash-- but these guys can coach.  I know its hard to believe -- but the Bills can actually out game plan some NFL teams. 

This roster will be more talented come 5 PM April 28th than it is today no matter what the Bills do and it will be more talented on August 30th, 2018 than it was on August 30, 2017.  Does that make the Bills a playoff team in 2018 -- no-- but the premise that the Bills are automatically eliminated if they trade to #2 and draft Mayfield, Rosen or Darnold is not a very sound one.  It's just as valid to believe that the Bills go on a Philly like run with a franchise rookie QB and a really good back-up QB who thrives in the "O" system they will be running.  I know its difficult for us Bills fans, but think positive.

Edited by JoeF

1 minute ago, What a Tuel said:

One of the La Canfora quotes from the other thread is that some believe there are only 17-21 true first round picks in this draft. Not sure what that means for the rest of the draft, but to me it sounds like "loading up on NFL starters" is a long shot.

We have all the picks though..... That obviously means that all stars are going to come out of the wood work.

All the while Nate Peterman is going to throw 5 INTs a game, and AJ McCarron will slow the offense to a crawl like he did in Cincinatti when he took over and it all will matter not. 

9 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

I don't see the term "franchise QB" stamped on any of these guys' foreheads.  Instead we have a bunch of guys with both a high ceiling and a low floor due to in part personal attitude.  If there were truly a franchise QB there then the Browns would have been presented with "we'll give you not just one farm but two farms" for the number 1 overall pick.

“You miss 100% of the shots you don’t take” -Michael Jordan

also, nearly every football expert in the USA disagrees with you

For years the jets deployed the strategy of “oh it’s not worth it for that qb”...now they’re desperate. While teams like the Rams, Texans, Eagles, chiefs, even the bears atleast aren’t in QB purgatory anymore

man, some of you fans, despite my love for you, make my head hurt.

Edited by BillsMafioso

1 hour ago, Domdab99 said:

Moving up is sexy, it's fun, it's what's for dinner these days. But moving up will set the team's growth back three, maybe five years. Possibly longer. This team has so many holes, that to throw away all these picks on a QB who might be good is insanity. 

If we can somehow move up and still have 1 2nd and 1 3rd...I'd be willing to listen. But only for Rosen or Mayfield. Trading up for any of the other QBs is insanity. Especially since Jackson has a very good chance of being there at 12. Hell, he has a good chance of being there at 22.

I'd rather pick an elite player at 12 - Roquan Smith, Derwin James, Vita Vea....etc. Use the rest of the picks on holes like WR, OL, DL, LB....

Throwing away this draft along with a first next next year? No thanks. 

Welp, we didn't trade up in the past and missed the playoffs for 17 years. 

Missing 3 is child's play.

There are several holes on the roster, there is no denying that. However, getting a good QB (even if it takes trading up) can alleviate many of those so we don't need to desperately fill them.

Example: Our run D is bad, as was evident last season. With a better QB we will score more points. Start getting out to a lead or get into a higher scoring game and teams wont be running against our D as much, and our strong secondary will have its chance to shine. Add a couple more pieces and everything will be fine.

I know that sounds amazing in theory and might not necessarily be true in practice, but it could have a large effect. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, What a Tuel said:

There can be a difference between 17-21 true first round picks and players who will be taken later but will round into capable starters early in their careers.  It's nice to think that we can load all of our starting 22 with All-Pro's but the reality is capable starters are players every team has to rely on.

1 minute ago, DougFlutie7 said:

The stupidity is overwhelming. A certain percentage of this fan base has been conditioned to not prioritize the QB position. The “so many holes to fill” crowd are so annoying and so wrong. 

QB doesn't count in the "holes to fill" category. :lol: But put a priority alert on replacing Jordan Matthews STAT!!!!

59 minutes ago, Domdab99 said:

Plus, we've got a huge cap surplas next year....we can be very pro-active in FA then. 

That's EXACTLY why we trade this year away for a QB. Add in the draft, along with a ton of cap space next year. It will be the QB's 2nd year in the system. Get some nice FA's. And we're off!

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, DougFlutie7 said:

The stupidity is overwhelming. A certain percentage of this fan base has been conditioned to not prioritize the QB position. The “so many holes to fill” crowd are so annoying and so wrong. 

UGH!!!   We are back to calling people who have differing thoughts "stupid, or annoying, or wrong."  Can people who think that gambling away the future on one draft pick be considered in those terms?  I for one believe so.  

5 minutes ago, DougFlutie7 said:

You're right about the stupidity.  A certain percentage of this fan base has been conditioned to believe that QBs drafted in the top five can't bust.  Todd Blackledge, Ryan Leaf, Tim Couch, Akili Smith, David Carr, Joey Harrington, Vince Young, JaMarcus Russell, Mark Sanchez, and Robert Griffin III all say "hi, fools".

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

UGH!!!   We are back to calling people who have differing thoughts "stupid, or annoying, or wrong."  Can people who think that gambling away the future on one draft pick be considered in those terms?  I for one believe so.  

I wouldn't call you guys stupid, but gullible, wrong, and yes it is annoying that you guys continuously underestimate and undervalue the position that has held this team back for 18 years.

2 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

Its not gambling.

Is QB not a hole, is QB not the most important position on the field.? End of story.

A MLB is not going to damn for you

a stud WR is not going to throw the ball to himself

a stud Guard is not going to matter if the guy he is blocking for cant get out of his own way

a Stud CB (Cough White cough) is not going to win you games because the offense cant move the ball.

We have seen this all for 18 years. How can you think that a QB is not important enough to get to teh top of the draft board. I do not understand. 

1 minute ago, SoTier said:

You're right about the stupidity.  A certain percentage of this fan base has been conditioned to believe that QBs drafted in the top five can't bust.  Todd Blackledge, Ryan Leaf, Tim Couch, Akili Smith, David Carr, Joey Harrington, Vince Young, JaMarcus Russell, Mark Sanchez, and Robert Griffin III all say "hi, fools".

Ah yes. Next based on the past we should only draft  guys from Tennessee or Purdue or Michigan. Tha'ts where the best QB's in the league have come from.

1 hour ago, MAJBobby said:

Anyone notice what a real QB did for San Fran ONCE the trade for Jimmy G was made. 

Instant upgrade. 

But in Buffalo land it means no playoffs for 3 years 

Of course, Garrapolo was acquired for the lofty price of a second round pick.