Old School Catholicism

Another Fan

7 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Yep.  VW SquareBack though... Ain't no Chevy Impala/Caprice Classics wagons (1973 & then a '77 C.Classic) like my old man would buy!!!;)

VW wagons are small:

18s0d2y29s7ktjpg.jpg

Ha..same with my pop..Chevy wagons...and he bought my mom a Monte Carlo.For a good amount of years both the vehicles were light blue..comedy gold..a few of my friends had laughs about my parents selections...Looney tune 70's!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, Misterbluesky said:

Ha..same with my pop..Chevy wagons...and he bought my mom a Monte Carlo.For a good amount of years both the vehicles were light blue..comedy gold..a few of my friends had laughs about my parents selections...Looney tune 70's!

I got Looney Toons taste too. 

:D

And yes, if you picked up on it... It's the Mandela Effect. ;)

2 hours ago, sherpa said:

Your premise would fall on it's face given the statistics.

When the father is removed, ie., "punishment for non-compliance," (to use your words), is removed the stats are undeniable.

From my link:

"The question was asked to determine whether a person’s religion carried through to the next generation, and if so, why, or if not, why not. The result is dynamite. There is one critical factor. It is overwhelming, and it is this: It is the religious practice of the father of the family that, above all, determines the future attendance at or absence from church of the children."

Getting the belt from dad if you didn't go to church is a strong motivator...

2 hours ago, sherpa said:

Your premise would fall on it's face given the statistics.

When the father is removed, ie., "punishment for non-compliance," (to use your words), is removed the stats are undeniable.

From my link:

"The question was asked to determine whether a person’s religion carried through to the next generation, and if so, why, or if not, why not. The result is dynamite. There is one critical factor. It is overwhelming, and it is this: It is the religious practice of the father of the family that, above all, determines the future attendance at or absence from church of the children."

Hogwash!

A lot father's always left Mass early after comnunion... Gotta get a smoke, etc.. etc... I know mine did. My father inlaw stays to bitter end.  Non of his children go to Mass, he still does.

My brother inlaw.  Did in by Easter Vigil marathon Mass, never went back.  I think that is the Mass they swear in the Catahumans, converts.

My in laws regret today for taking him to that Mass.  

People are mush brains, to quote Ted Nugent.  Laziness prevails.  My old man had no stamina.. Bolted out of Mass early for a smoke.  It doesn't help that one of his church incidents was passing out in the all Latin, pre-Vat 2, all facing forward (including the priest) days... They revived his arse with smelling salts & incense... That will turn you off as an adult with a choice of going to Mass, or even bolting out early after Communion.

Make it in late before the Gospel (stand in back) and bolt after Communion, all good, trim Mass time to 25 minutes. :D

Oh... Grab me a bulletin too!

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

2 hours ago, RochesterRob said:

I'll inject my experience at this juncture.  I was raised Catholic and as of the last dozen years attend Mass every week.  I went through a period of questioning of what I was getting out of it and thus a 25 year absence from Mass.  It seemed like the parish priest had his own agenda that he pushed which did not encourage me in the least.  If I had kids I would hope that they would experience it and if it did not suit them at a young age to maybe give it another shot in middle age as I did.  I get so much more out of it having lived life for quite a while versus being a kid receiving a lecture w/o context.  As others have said there are both good and bad people in the Catholic Church as there are in other institutions of humanity.  You just have to seek out the good in any situation.

Your post seems to indicate an all or nothing vis a vis the Catholic church and faith.

Nothing could b e further from the truth.

There are plenty of options away from the stuff of Catholic Church doctrine.

Thus, the Protestant view.

2 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Hogwash!

A lot father's always left Mass early after comnunion... Gotta get a smoke, etc.. etc... I know mine did. My father inlaw stays to bitter end.  Non of his children go to Mass, he still does.

My brother inlaw.  Did in by Easter Vigil marathon Mass, never went back.  I think that is the Mass they swear in the Catahumans, converts.

My in laws regret today for taking him to that Mass.  

People are mush brains, to quote Ted Nugent.  Laziness prevails.  My old man had no stamina.. Bolted out of Mass early for a smoke.  It doesn't help that one of his church incidents was passing out in the all Latin, pre-Vat 2, all facing forward (including the priest) days... They revived his arse with smelling salts & incense... That will turn you off as an adult with a choice of going to Mass, or even bolting out early after Communion.

Make it in late before the Gospel (stand in back) and bolt after Communion, all good, trim Mass time to 25 minutes. :D

Oh... Grab me a bulletin too!

Statistical evidence is not hogwash, your father's "example" aside.

1 minute ago, KGun12TD said:

And this is relevant to the Bills,? How?

Because the point will soon be made that the Bills will trade their 12th and a saint to be named later for Pope Paul VI.

• Haha (+1) 1

I was raised Catholic, with pretty strict adherence to all the rules. Same with my wife, along with a large number of friends and family members.  My observation is that in every family there are a small number of people who are the True Believers. The True Believers adhere to all the rules, and use good old Catholic guilt and fear to try to get other family members to follow along.

Most people tolerate the True Believers and go along if they are part of a family event. Some people avoid family events, partly because they don’t want to have a confrontation with the True Believers.  This I find to be sad, but it is what it is. 

I was public school all the way trough post-grad.

I went to Church with my family just about every week, and went to faith formation in order to make the sacraments.  I stopped going to Church for awhile until my kids were old enough to walk.  Then my wife and I started in on our local parish.  Each of my 4 kids will have had Catholic School education through High School -- even though our local school district is just fine. 

My Parish is full of absolutely fantastic people who would drop what they're doing to help someone (but especially a fellow parishioner) in need.  I've come to never underestimate the good that this collection of people do.  That's the example my kids (and I) have taken from our time in and around our Church.  I've seen it and lived it and that's what makes my experience special.  I'm sure this isn't limited to Catholicism -- just like I'm sure that there are more aloof Parishes, too. 

I got lucky and I think that whatever religion, faith or group someone finds, the spirit of community is just as -- if not more -- important than the scripture (or other message).  It is the "practice", not just the "preach".  I don't know if that's old school or new school.

• Like (+1) 1

I see a whole lot of problems here, that can't all be blamed on a Church.  Maybe this is not the place to have a serious discussion, or make a serious decision such as a religion?  If this were all true, I can understand why have all the curses and "bad luck."

9 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

I was raised very strict Roman Catholic.  Mass every Sunday, and bible school before mass.  Bible camp every summer, and sometimes during school breaks.  After I made my confirmation I decided I didn’t want to go back.  My mother was very upset by this, and still today my lack of faith is a bone of contention.  Imagine my mother’s response when I told her I wouldn’t have my children baptized or make them go to church.

I have noticed that “old school” carholicism seems to have diminished, but there is still a presence in the small town where I live.  What I am noticing is an increase in these “pop up” churches appearing in town.  Most of them lease vacant stores in the mall, or occupy other buildings that are not churches.  From what I can gather they practice Christianity, but it is a lot different than the church I knew growing up.  They have a live band at their masses.  They dance and sing to progressive music.  The pastors, or whatever they call themselves, wear slacks and a polo shirt.  Not the ornate gowns that I remember Catholic priests wearing.  Seems like a good thing.  Perhaps if church were like this when I was growing up I might still be involved.

I have trouble calling them churches. They are people preaching whatever they feel like and declaring themselves tax-free. 

I’m a church going 28-year old catholic.

i don’t think my upbringing was necessarily old fashioned,but I definitely learned the importance of good manners and accountability 

The mass, at least in my region, has lost quality. Terrible, rambling sermons. Obnoxious and loud singing. Stupid announcements.. I could go on and on..

it has left me wanting to stop going, but I can’t. Both my moms and dads side of family have been devout catholics for centuries. 

I cant be the first in my family to stray away. My whole family has seen something in it, hopefully I will again too 

8 minutes ago, GETTOTHE50 said:

i don’t think my upbringing was necessarily old fashioned,but I definitely learned the importance of good manners and accountability 

The mass, at least in my region, has lost quality. Terrible, rambling sermons. Obnoxious and loud singing. Stupid announcements.. I could go on and on..

it has left me wanting to stop going, but I can’t. Both my moms and dads side of family have been devout catholics for centuries. 

I cant be the first in my family to stray away. My whole family has seen something in it, hopefully I will again too 

Interesting post on many levels.

Faith is to be enjoyed and celebrated, not endured, and certainly not for family acceptance.

Find a Christian church that allows you that.

Being an adult means you're free to make your own choices.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, GETTOTHE50 said:

Hang in there. There is a painful lack of quality priests these days, especially those who speak English I can understand. 

While I have my issues with the church and kind of suck at being Catholic, having faith is critical in my life.  I used to have a life I REALLY loved. Great job, great house, great weather, great family, etc. There was a billboard I passed regularly with two hands together in prayer and the question: “Have You Thought To Pray Today?” I always smiled and thought, yep, I was thanking God 3 miles ago that I’m so blessed to have such a great life. 

The flip side has been the last several months where it seems almost anything that could go wrong, did go wrong. I still keep that faith alive and rely upon it. It’s not about the quality of the music or the accent of the priest, it’s about your faith and how you give thanks for the good, and learn to accept the bad. Sorry if that sounded too preachy, but it’s a sensitive time. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

19 minutes ago, sherpa said:

Interesting post on many levels.

Faith is to be enjoyed and celebrated, not endured, and certainly not for family acceptance.

Find a Christian church that allows you that.

Being an adult means you're free to make your own choices.

To be a Christian is to suffer.

12 minutes ago, Augie said:

Hang in there. There is a painful lack of quality priests these days, especially those who speak English I can understand. 

While I have my issues with the church and kind of suck at being Catholic, having faith is critical in my life.  I used to have a life I REALLY loved. Great job, great house, great weather, great family, etc. There was a billboard I passed regularly with two hands together in prayer and the question: “Have You Thought To Pray Today?” I always smiled and thought, yep, I was thanking God 3 miles ago that I’m so blessed to have such a great life. 

The flip side has been the last several months where it seems almost anything that could go wrong, did go wrong. I still keep that faith alive and rely upon it. It’s not about the quality of the music or the accent of the priest, it’s about your faith and how you give thanks for the good, and learn to accept the bad. Sorry if that sounded too preachy, but it’s a sensitive time. 

I know whole-heartedly what you mean. 

The church/mass needs to be revised though.

Take out the singing gloria, and have it go back to when it was being said.

Take out the singing our father too.

Take out the announcements at the end of mass.

Take out the rock band.

Take out the lag time in between each reading and responsorial psalm. I swear, some people take 5 minutes to walk up to the podium, and then take a long, good deep breath before reading. Just get to it already. 

Last time I was in NYC, I went to church somewhere in Queens. And it was literally rapid fire between the 1st & 2nd reading and RP. it was awesome. 

3 minutes ago, GETTOTHE50 said:

To be a Christian is to suffer.

I know whole-heartedly what you mean. 

The church/mass needs to be revised though.

Take out the singing gloria, and have it go back to when it was being said.

Take out the singing our father too.

Take out the announcements at the end of mass.

Take out the rock band.

Take out the lag time in between each reading and responsorial psalm. I swear, some people take 5 minutes to walk up to the podium, and then take a long, good deep breath before reading. Just get to it already. 

Last time I was in NYC, I went to church somewhere in Queens. And it was literally rapid fire between the 1st & 2nd reading and RP. it was awesome. 

It’s out there, it that’s what you want. Some people want all the pomp and ceremony, but sometimes the “drive-by mass” is in order. It’s too early for me, but my wife swears they fly through it in under a half of an hour. 

To each, their own. My father used to hold out for the Latin mass. Not my style, but whatever works for the person searching for an answer is great.