Old School Catholicism

Another Fan

11 minutes ago, \GoBillsInDallas/ said:

sheen-opera-or-life.jpgsheen-opera-or-life.jpg

Why do you think secular crap Halloween take off... Not too much deep thinking religion to worry people's mushy minds.  No strings attached!

The individual is the greatest!  Unless you are Ayn Rand banging young dudes... I guess if one is into that, then it's all cool.  Whatever floats one's boat I suppose.<_<

4 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Why do you think secular crap Halloween take off... Not too much deep thinking religion to worry people's mushy minds.  No strings attached!

The individual is the greatest!  Unless you are Ayn Rand banging young dudes... I guess if one is into that, then it's all cool.  Whatever floats one's boat I suppose.<_<

Haha. She was a morally flexible moral absolutist. The best kind. 

2 minutes ago, BeginnersMind said:

Haha. She was a morally flexible moral absolutist. The best kind. 

Yep.  <_<

On the other end of the spectrum, if you are interested:

https://www.brainpickings.org/2014/05/15/flannery-o-connor-letters-religion-faith/

"As humans, we are wired to cling tightly to our beliefs, even the most delusional, and to automatically dismiss conflicting evidence. This is especially true in areas where our beliefs are particularly charged, such as politics and religion. For those of us skeptical of organized religion, who find transcendence in nature and spirituality in science, who fall closer to the atheism end of the belief spectrum, it’s especially challenging to consider perspectives on faith that come from the other end. But something magical happens when we allow the walls of the psyche to soften and become permeable, if only for a moment, to another’s experience of the world — little compares to the self-transcendence that such receptivity invites."

514jBWP3uDL._SY400_.jpg

3 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Yep.  <_<

https://www.brainpickings.org/2014/05/15/flannery-o-connor-letters-religion-faith/

"As humans, we are wired to cling tightly to our beliefs, even the most delusional, and to automatically dismiss conflicting evidence. This is especially true in areas where our beliefs are particularly charged, such as politics and religion. For those of us skeptical of organized religion, who find transcendence in nature and spirituality in science, who fall closer to the atheism end of the belief spectrum, it’s especially challenging to consider perspectives on faith that come from the other end. But something magical happens when we allow the walls of the psyche to soften and become permeable, if only for a moment, to another’s experience of the world — little compares to the self-transcendence that such receptivity invites."

Huge fan of Brain Pickings. 

7 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Yep.  <_<

514jBWP3uDL._SY400_.jpg

Love this book.  I have a copy signed by Sally Fitzgerald.  If you like O'Connor, I recommend the work of Marion Montgomery.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

See what Martin Luther started 500 years ago.

All he wanted to do was fix a few problems with The Church, tack up a little advice.

Now we have individual salvation... Eveybody is an individual Snowflake that needs to be saved from their ownself.

Thanks ML...

What?

What Luther did was expose the "creativity" and fund raising component of Roman Catholicism.

You know, actually ask tough questions about popes, saints, Mary, indulgences, fund raising and their legitimacy.

Answering those should not have been tough.

Didn't quite work out that way, and still isn't.

3 minutes ago, sherpa said:

What?

What Luther did was expose the "creativity" and fund raising component of Roman Catholicism.

You know, actually ask tough questions about popes, saints, Mary, indulgences, fund raising and their legitimacy.

Answering those should not have been tough.

Didn't quite work out that way, and still isn't.

2018.  He got everything he ever asked for and more.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/the-reformation-is-over-protestants-won-so-why-are-we-still-here/2017/10/26/71a2ad02-b831-11e7-be94-fabb0f1e9ffb_story.html?utm_term=.8263687fb1eb

"The Reformation is over. Protestants won. So why are we still here?

Roman Catholicism is rich and vibrant. But someone has to keep the Church honest."

14 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Where is North Campus again?  South by stadium, then downtown right?

No E, the church is on Werhle in Williamsville.Near the tunnel that the planes fly over (old September's Nightclub).I'll try to look it up...I believe they still have outdoor masses.

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

2018.  He got everything he ever asked for and more.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/the-reformation-is-over-protestants-won-so-why-are-we-still-here/2017/10/26/71a2ad02-b831-11e7-be94-fabb0f1e9ffb_story.html?utm_term=.8263687fb1eb

"The Reformation is over. Protestants won. So why are we still here?

Roman Catholicism is rich and vibrant. But someone has to keep the Church honest."

Really?

Last week I was looking at the indulgence thing as part of a reply.

I came across an article naming what indulgences are available during Holy Week. 

Bizarre.

And as I've mentioned, you've got the veneration of saints, Mary, the rosary, and the continuing claim of her life long virginity, not supported, papal nonsense and a host of other things the Roman church has invented.

8 minutes ago, sherpa said:

Really?

I came across an article naming what indulgences are available during Holy Week. 

Bizarre.

And as I've mentioned, you've got the veneration of saints, Mary, the rosary, and the continuing claim of her life long virginity, not supported, papal nonsense and a host of other things the Roman church has invented.

Of course it was invented. I don't picture The Church "keeping it real."  What do you think Mass is, an episode of Roseanne with Methodist bell ringing? <_<

AND the virginity thing.  Amazing what teens can do if they try. :P

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

14 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Of course it was invented. I don't picture The Church "keeping it real."  What do you think Mass is, an episode of Roseanne with Methodist bell ringing? <_<

AND the virginity thing.  Amazing what teens can do if they try. :P

With this post, I've lost interest.

Religion, in general, is an old fashioned thing that is fading from the Earth.

That's a good thing. 

It will still be around for a while, however. 

Societal shifts like this move very slowly.

On April 4, 2018 at 1:14 PM, sherpa said:

Really?

Bizarre.

Are you suggesting the Catholic Church is primarily a secular organization interested in self preservation of its earthly power and that it has invented a few things over the years?  Like the very idea of challenging what it says is "blasphemous" and therefore not to be tolerated?

Who knew! 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

Are you suggesting the Catholic Church is primarily a secular organization interested in self preservation of its earthly power and that it has invented a few things over the years?  Like the very idea of challenging what it says is "blasphemous" and therefore not to be tolerated?

Who knew! 

Former Catholics.