Old School Catholicism

Another Fan

My curiosities this morning led me to ask something which I'm sure cause debate or not.

Grandfather was an old school Catholic, thought chilling was a mortal sin and missing Mass.  Wasn't raised that extreme but grew up with that sort of influence.  The men in my family were like Jack Arnold from The Wonder Years.

Is that sort of upbringing a thing of the past for the most part?

I wouldn't know. Even though I went to Catholic elementary school, even was an alter boy and sang in the choir, I went to public high school after. Maybe that's why I decided it was all for show at an early age. Loved the pageantry of it all but didn't think it really meant anything. I don't even think the priests or nuns did either. 

Edited by PromoTheRobot

5 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

Sounds like you're describing a societal subtrend that is a thing of the past.

Strict upbringings however, will always be a thing.

Have you seen kids/parents and society today? Strict upbringings are a thing of the past. As a parent you cant really be strict today cause in public everyone has a camera and access to social media to shame you if you try and discipline a child. And at home you have to worry that your child turns around while at school or somewhere and says something that is misunderstood by a teacher or adult and file a complaint against you.

As for the religion point of the OP, I think that the oldschool type religion is becoming a thing of the past. Churches are closing cause numbers are dwindling as seniors pass away. Today people are going to less formal "churches" with less formal services. 

1 minute ago, apuszczalowski said:

Have you seen kids/parents and society today? Strict upbringings are a thing of the past. As a parent you cant really be strict today cause in public everyone has a camera and access to social media to shame you if you try and discipline a child. And at home you have to worry that your child turns around while at school or somewhere and says something that is misunderstood by a teacher or adult and file a complaint against you.

As for the religion point of the OP, I think that the oldschool type religion is becoming a thing of the past. Churches are closing cause numbers are dwindling as seniors pass away. Today people are going to less formal "churches" with less formal services. 

That's a very dramatic misrepresentation of strict parenting. 

On a side note, if you're often needing to discipline your child in public, then you're doing it all wrong.

i think it's done.  i was raised italian catholic.  my uncle is a priest, and in the neighborhood they grew up in, it was like being a rock star.  on occasion i run into people where my mom is from, and they still remember my uncle.  i went to 16 years of catholic school, 9 of which were by the jesuits.  i chose my college, so it wasn't forced on me at that point, and on top of that...the college never pushed it.  i think between the scandals and older philosophies, the old school stuff is over.  my uncle is in his 80s, and even he has a pretty liberal view towards the church at this point.   we're not even church goers anymore, and we're struggling a bit to figure out how to teach our daughter some kind of faith.  i'm just not into it at this point in my life.

I'm 36 and my dad is mid 60's.

He's not like this anymore but was when I was little.  I was born left handed, did everything left handed and he wouldn't allow it.

Every time I picked up something or threw something with my left hand, he would smack it.  He forced me to be right handed.  He apologizes for it now.

18 minutes ago, teef said:

i think it's done.  i was raised italian catholic.  my uncle is a priest, and in the neighborhood they grew up in, it was like being a rock star.  on occasion i run into people where my mom is from, and they still remember my uncle.  i went to 16 years of catholic school, 9 of which were by the jesuits.  i chose my college, so it wasn't forced on me at that point, and on top of that...the college never pushed it.  i think between the scandals and older philosophies, the old school stuff is over.  my uncle is in his 80s, and even he has a pretty liberal view towards the church at this point.   we're not even church goers anymore, and we're struggling a bit to figure out how to teach our daughter some kind of faith.  i'm just not into it at this point in my life.

It's just not relevant. Teach your daughter science and some form of martial arts like wing chun.

29 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I'm 36 and my dad is mid 60's.

He's not like this anymore but was when I was little.  I was born left handed, did everything left handed and he wouldn't allow it.

Every time I picked up something or threw something with my left hand, he would smack it.  He forced me to be right handed.  He apologizes for it now.

Really messed up.  Should have encouraged you to be a pitcher.

2 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

Really messed up.  Should have encouraged you to be a pitcher.

He did.  If I have to open a jar, balance a tray or pick up something really heavy....I use my left.

I throw and punch with my right.

My dad didn't understand that about baseball back then.  He saw more right handers as far as position players so he thought that would be better for me.

I still ended up with a baseball scholarship but if I was left handed...I probably would have had more offers.  

I was raised Roman Catholic.  I was made to go to church school until I was Confirmed.

Fast forward to today - I remain Christian, but have completely separated myself from Catholicism and I attend no church services of any religion.

I've raised my son to be Christian (he was baptized Catholic), but as of now - he is an Atheist.  He respects my beliefs and I respect his.

4 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

He did.  If I have to open a jar, balance a tray or pick up something really heavy....I use my left.

I throw and punch with my right.

My dad didn't understand that about baseball back then.  He saw more right handers as far as position players so he thought that would be better for me.

I still ended up with a baseball scholarship but if I was left handed...I probably would have had more offers.  

Well, good for you for persevering.  I'm not really a baseball guy, but even I know there is a premium on left-handed pitching.

To the OP, there will always be enclaves, albeit, increasingly miniscule, of a certain kind of reactionary traditionalism.  I don't think the alternative is necessarily a kind of tolerant indifference.  There are forms of tradition that are creative and synthetic, but the theologies of that kind generally get censure from both right and left, so to speak.

I was raised very strict Roman Catholic.  Mass every Sunday, and bible school before mass.  Bible camp every summer, and sometimes during school breaks.  After I made my confirmation I decided I didn’t want to go back.  My mother was very upset by this, and still today my lack of faith is a bone of contention.  Imagine my mother’s response when I told her I wouldn’t have my children baptized or make them go to church.

I have noticed that “old school” carholicism seems to have diminished, but there is still a presence in the small town where I live.  What I am noticing is an increase in these “pop up” churches appearing in town.  Most of them lease vacant stores in the mall, or occupy other buildings that are not churches.  From what I can gather they practice Christianity, but it is a lot different than the church I knew growing up.  They have a live band at their masses.  They dance and sing to progressive music.  The pastors, or whatever they call themselves, wear slacks and a polo shirt.  Not the ornate gowns that I remember Catholic priests wearing.  Seems like a good thing.  Perhaps if church were like this when I was growing up I might still be involved.

31 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

It's just not relevant. Teach your daughter science and some form of martial arts like wing chun.

we're definitely going to be doing that type of education mostly, but i would like to at least expose them to something spiritual.  They'll likely go to the catholic high schools, not because of the religious aspect, but rather the education.

4 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

I have noticed that “old school” carholicism seems to have diminished, but there is still a presence in the small town where I live.  What I am noticing is an increase in these “pop up” churches appearing in town.  Most of them lease vacant stores in the mall, or occupy other buildings that are not churches.  From what I can gather they practice Christianity, but it is a lot different than the church I knew growing up.  They have a live band at their masses.  They dance and sing to progressive music.  The pastors, or whatever they call themselves, wear slacks and a polo shirt.  Not the ornate gowns that I remember Catholic priests wearing.  Seems like a good thing.  Perhaps if church were like this when I was growing up I might still be involved.

Everyone has their own tastes, but that kind of casual, populist store front church appalls my own sensibility.  The old sci-fi writer, R.A. Lafferty has some very funny satire about the folk guitar, kumbaya mass of the sixties.  This latter thing is a more Protestant variant, imo.

13 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

I was raised very strict Roman Catholic.  Mass every Sunday, and bible school before mass.  Bible camp every summer, and sometimes during school breaks.  After I made my confirmation I decided I didn’t want to go back.  My mother was very upset by this, and still today my lack of faith is a bone of contention.  Imagine my mother’s response when I told her I wouldn’t have my children baptized or make them go to church.

Although I don't attend masses on the regular, there's a church like this in rochester.  I think they refer to themselves as the "new catholic" church.  they're aren't recognized by the vatican because they go against the traditional teachings.  for example, they welcome everyone to accept communion...you don't have to be catholic or have had the sacrament.  they just want you to recognize the importance of it. they allow women priests and really are accepting to everyone.  my aunt is gay, and has been with her partner since 1983.  they were finally married in front of the church a few years ago in a more traditional catholic ceremony.  the place erupted with applause when it was done.  it's the only church in the area i'd consider being a part of.  as you mentioned, they have no specific site, but rent an old music school and other building to hold masses.

edit:  there's music, but not a real band, and the priests still wear a more traditional garb.

Edited by teef

I was an altar boy, had the Christian Bothers for high school, Jesuits in college, had to take theology or philosophy every semester.  We sent our kids to Catholic schools most of their lives, but never really pushed them to get to church after leaving for college. We went as a family up until then almost every week.

Now, I’ll go with my wife as long as she doesn’t go too early, but she usually elects for 7:15am so I’m out. What surprises me is that my 25 year old son goes every week and his faith is very important to him. Part of the attendance is the influence of a nice young lady he’s dating, but I know it’s important to him and it’s his choice. Our faith has helped us through some very difficult times, especially recently. 

I almost wish we could take all the things in common with most major religions and roll them all together. Too often religion is used to divide rather than unite, in many ways. When my wife used to Chair the Catholic Charities Ball, a huge emphasis was attracting people and groups from all major religions. It’s not about being Catholic, it’s about helping people who need help.   

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, row_33 said:

The Benedictine Option is a surprise quasi-best seller....

I think it's called The Benedict Option.  Rod Dreher is Eastern Orthodox, not Catholic.  He's an intellectual and the kind of Christian culture alternative he talks about is not synonymous with hard-line Traditionalism, imo, though it might seem so to those with progressive social values.