Baker Mayfield

14 minutes ago, billsgpr88 said:

according to wikipedia, tyrod taylor is 6' 3/4". Tyrod had problems finding open receivers, but that seemed to be due more to the fact that he could not throw an intermediate pass through a window in the middle of the field. ever. ok maybe not ever but I think i could count on one hand the number of times he did that last year

...these guys between 6'0" and 6'2" made a decent living at it IMO.........

Tarkenton-6’0”

Montana-6’2”

Steve Young-6’2”

Y.A. Tittle-6’0”

Brunell-6’1”

Baugh-6’2”

Starr-6’1”

Kapp-6’2”

Jaworski-6’2”

Just now, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...these guys between 6'0" and 6'2" made a decent living at it IMO.........

Tarkenton-6’0”

Montana-6’2”

Steve Young-6’2”

Y.A. Tittle-6’0”

Brunell-6’1”

Baugh-6’2”

Starr-6’1”

Kapp-6’2”

Jaworski-6’2”

Drew Brees

Russell Wilson

14 minutes ago, billsgpr88 said:

according to wikipedia, tyrod taylor is 6' 3/4". Tyrod had problems finding open receivers, but that seemed to be due more to the fact that he could not throw an intermediate pass through a window in the middle of the field. ever. ok maybe not ever but I think i could count on one hand the number of times he did that last year

Im not really big on bashing a QBs height because the logic doesn't make sense. Unless you're 6'4+ you are likely shorter than the average OL/DL. So every QB has to be good at finding throwing lanes. It's a skill.

I think Mayfield is just as risky a prospect as Allen for completely different reasons.  If I trade into the top 5 it would be for Rosen or Darnold.  I could see them moving up to 9 for Mayfield or Allen.  Out of all the Qbs projected to go in the 1st rd I am unsure what I would be getting with Mayfield.  The cost of moving up to the top 5 would be substantial enough to where I would want the surest thing.  To me that is Rosen or Darnold.  

2 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

I think Mayfield is just as risky a prospect as Allen for completely different reasons.  If I trade into the top 5 it would be for Rosen or Darnold.  I could see them moving up to 9 for Mayfield or Allen.  Out of all the Qbs projected to go in the 1st rd I am unsure what I would be getting with Mayfield.  The cost of moving up to the top 5 would be substantial enough to where I would want the surest thing.  To me that is Rosen or Darnold.  

Rosen is far from a sure thing especially with the injuries

Edited by Ittakestime

1 minute ago, Ittakestime said:

Rosen is far from a sure thing especially with the injuries

The NFL is structured to protect the QB inside the pocket more so than college.  But at the same time you know what you are getting.  If he doesnt get hurt he most likely will have a very good career.  Anyone can get hurt in the NFL so thats not really an issue for me.  The cost of moving up would be 12-22 and some combination of 2 or 3 and mid rd picks.  With that price I think Rosen has the least weakness and adding some weight I would not be worried about his durability.  Rosen has the as similar frame to alot of successful Qbs Mannings, Rayn, and Geoff to name a few.  He is only 21 has room to grow and has the best footwork and mechanics than any Qb in the draft.  I could see them targeting any of the top 5 but for me if Im going all the way up I would be targeting Rosen.

I just don't think Beane is going to take him because he has stated, multiple times, the importance of being able to win from the pocket. Mayfield is exciting because he is a freelancer who can make plays by improvising. That is what Tyrod was and I do not think that is what we want. Plus Mayfield is slow and really not that athletic. His style will likely not work in the NFL. I think the height is a factor, but imo, Beanes stated preference of a traditional, within the pocket drop back passer eliminates Mayfield. If you you are a small quarterback you better be a sniper as a passer ala Brees, or a ridiculous athlete like Wilson. Add in the crotch grab, height, excuses, and police stuff and you have a guy this front office is going nowhere near.

They want Darnold, Rosen, or Allen and I think people should start coming to terms with that. They will not draft Baker Mayfield. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I just don't think Beane is going to take him because he has stated, multiple times, the importance of being able to win from the pocket. Mayfield is exciting because he is a freelancer who can make plays by improvising. That is what Tyrod was and I do not think that is what we want. Plus Mayfield is slow and really not that athletic. His style will likely not work in the NFL. I think the height is a factor, but imo, Beanes stated preference of a traditional, within the pocket drop back passer eliminates Mayfield. If you you are a small quarterback you better be a sniper as a passer ala Brees, or a ridiculous athlete like Wilson. Add in the crotch grab, height, excuses, and police stuff and you have a guy this front office is going nowhere near.

They want Darnold, Rosen, or Allen and I think people should start coming to terms with that. They will not draft Baker Mayfield. 

Just stop.  Mayfield is literally has the best pocket presence in the draft.  The dude is a master in the pocket.  Watch more college football.

• Like (+1) 2

40 minutes ago, the skycap said:

Did anybody else hear the shot Hasselbeck took at Baker in the Rosen recap? Rosen's receiver ran the wrong route and had a incompletion. Rosen turned and said it was his fault. Baker had the same thing happen to him and he yelled at the receiver. He was basically questioning Baker leadership qualities.

I did not.  Can anyone remember Tom Brady saying it was his fault when a receiver runs a bad route?  Honest question, always covering someone's flaws is great relationally, not professionally.

2 hours ago, Dkollidas said:

I wouldn’t call it “lazy”. There’s two quarterbacks who have been successful that are at his height. Brees and Wilson. And Wilson’s athletic ability sets him apart from almost every other quarterback in the league right now. Almost every guy that height has issues becoming successful in the NFL. 

Sonny Jurgensen and Fran Tarkenton were under 6 foot. Aaron Rodgers, Dak Prescott, Andy Dalton are all 6-2 or a little under. If you want to go by height Brock Osweiler should be the king of the castle he's 6ft 8. But he sucks. You have to look at performance and not height. There's really no difference in the amount of batted balls between Mayfield, Rosen or Darnold.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Ittakestime said:

We shall see.  This regime is about bang for your buck, and Mayfield is the best value.

I think the only way they take him is if they failed in their trade up attempt and he's sitting there at 12. Other than that I don't see it. But like you said we shall see. It's going to be a long month that's for sure. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Rico said:

I just don’t see Mayfield as someone who you will burn a lot of draft picks to move up to and take, just too much of a gamble. It may be different if he fell to you.

I agree.  Mayfiled, Allen, and Jackson I would not trade up into the top 5 for.  To ensure you get one of them I could see flipping a 2nd for a 3rd but to burn 2 firsts on any of them would be to rich for me.  

• Like (+1) 1

I really think they want either Darnold or Rosen and are trying to determine what is going to happen at the top of the draft so they know how high they need to get. I think one of those two guys are the apple of their eye, unless Beane has been on Josh Allen for the last few years and is obsessed with him. 

I think they need to get into the top 3. If the Browns pass on quarterback they need to get to 3. If the Browns take a quarterback, they likely need to get to 2. 

6 hours ago, 8-8 Forever? said:

he's too short to play in the NFL.   he's just too short.   after watching Taylor struggle with batted balls all year and trying to find openings to throw the ball through, my QB needs to be tall and stand tall and throw tall... you can't coach size.   B M doesn't have it for today's NFL.  

Bull manure.  I'd take Drew Brees or Russell Wilson any day over the likes of Brock Osweiler and Mike Glennon.  I'd take Wilson over Brees as well as over Cam Newton, Andrew Luck, or Carson Wentz, and he's not even 6 feet tall (5'10 or 5'11), because he's not only proven that he's a leader who can carry his team but he's also a lot younger than Brees.   The only reason that Seattle isn't drafting in the top ten in April is because of Wilson.

1 hour ago, Chicken Boo said:

Beane isn't drafting an arrogant short guy with maturity issues.  It's just not happening.

Wouldn't Beane be hiring a younger version of himself? :)

Wow I think in my jest here I might have hit on something.

From what I read Beane wasn't too far off from being that same way.

1 hour ago, OldTimer1960 said:

The concern over his height is warranted as there have been few successful NFL QBs af this height (as you stated), but I think that his apparent drive and attitude will allow him to overcome the odds.  All of these QBs have some questions- I’d be very happy to have the Bills give him his chance.

I understand your hope in Mayfield, but at the same time, his attitude, which will be key to overcoming physical shortcomings (in the case, his height), is also another question mark.

So what I see if a definite weakness that is supposed to be “covered up” or minimized by a question mark, that could totally blow up in your face.

to me he’s the biggest question mark of all the quarterbacks. Allen may be boom/bust, but I think his low point is a more mobile Flacco, where his high end is a less mobile Cam Newton.