Are We a Playoff Team with A.J. ?

2 hours ago, Bills757 said:

So Taylor has three head coaches in three years, three OC's.....he spends his own money to train with his WR corps only to have them get rid of those players.  They bring in WR's that get hurt.   Not saying Taylor's a world beater but the obstacles that were put in his way didn't help matters at all.  Regarding another thread where a fan talked to Harvin......sounds like Percy saw what I saw....trying to pound a square peg into a round hole.  What happened to the roll outs...getting Taylor in space and throwing on the run (trying to maximize his strengths)?  Before you bash me too.....I do think the Bills need to draft a QB this year that will hopefully develop into a star.  But to lay the woes of this team's offense at Taylor's feet is moronic.

Why would I bash you?  I’m not one to call people idiots or say they offer nothing (unless they accuse me of it first).  

FTR It was 2 HC’s.  

Why was Roman fired when TT had his best season with him as OC?

Why wasn’t A Lynn retained or hired with him as OC?

Why was TTs 3rd OC fired. 

Occam’s razor - the common denominator is.........  TT. 

TT was the guy who didn’t throw guys open. 

TT was the guy who held the ball too long being “protective” with the ball. 

TT was the guy who teams said and I quote Make him a QB.  

So, a moron I may be, but my opinion for the past season and a half has been spot on and TT IS GONE.   

Yes I am happy he’s gone.  

Lets move on and forget Mr Taylor.  

K? 

People are not saying TT was the sole reason the offense was bad.  Even earlier this thread I noted the receiving corp was sub-par.  A very good receiver might well have made the catch at the end of the Carolina game.  A very good QB would have put that pass where a sub-par receiver could catch it.  Sadly, we had a sub-par deep passer throwing to a sub-par receiver.

We're not putting the offensive woes solely at TT's feet, but we are holding him accountable for the factors he had control over.  His reluctance to throw deep, even when he did have receivers open deep, and his inaccuracy when actually throwing deep are on him, and resulted in opposing defenses simply stacking the box.  If TT had managed to hit his receivers deep when open, but they just weren't open often...then you could absolve TT and place blame solely on the receivers, but we all know that didn't happen.

Edited by The Red King

On 4/1/2018 at 3:17 PM, ShadyBillsFan said:

It’s not that he couldn’t, it’s that he didn’t from the pocket.  

He’d scramble around “keeping the play alive”. 

I was referring to your quote. 

On 4/1/2018 at 7:32 PM, ShadyBillsFan said:

FTR - I was referring to 2017.  

You found 3 instances where he did it over 3 full seasons 

Where the ones where he didn’t?? 

For example - the Thompson play where Thompson was wide open  - and with a catch a TD could have been had?

Where did you reference 2017? You just said he couldn't complete a bomb from thee pocket. I provided FOUR examples. Need more?. 

But if you're only interested in 2017 and Thompson be sure to each this:

See my prior comments.  Every team in the league had a passing play of 50+ yards.  At least one.  Everyone that is, except the Bills.  In 15 1/2ish games TT could not do this even once.  I know the receiving corp is meh, but you cannot look me in the eye and tell me that not one single play in all those games did he ever have a receiver open deep.  The film clearly showed he did and he either did not throw it, or missed his receiver.  Bad receivers lead to fewer deep throws, not *no* deep throws.  That's on TT.  Again, the receivers are as much to blame for the lack of offensive production...but at the same time TT is as much to blame as the receivers.  Will AJ fix the offense?  Not alone, but he should at least be able to stretch defenses and give McCoy a little running room.

On 3/29/2018 at 6:39 AM, Looper said:

Assuming we don't get one of the big 4 QBs, are we a playoff team with A.J. ? Or are we the 2017 Browns and the #1 seed to get Drew Luck, Jacob Eason, or Jarrett Stidham next year ? 

Is it worth even using a draft pick on Rudolph or Jackson ? 

no

7 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

I was referring to your quote. 

Where did you reference 2017? You just said he couldn't complete a bomb from thee pocket. I provided FOUR examples. Need more?. 

But if you're only interested in 2017 and Thompson be sure to each this:

Dude, I get your posting style.  The topic is AJ and not the left QB formerly known as TT.  

On 4/1/2018 at 6:17 PM, ShadyBillsFan said:

in 2017 it’s not that he couldn’t, it’s that he didn’t from the pocket.  

He’d scramble around “keeping the play alive”. 

there

1 hour ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Dude, I get your posting style.  The topic is AJ and not the left QB formerly known as TT.  

there

And yet TT was brought up as being worse than AJ (with no substantial proof, mind you) by post #12. I'd say those who appreciated TT are not the ones who need to let go, it's those who feel the need to bash him still even though he isn't on the team. As long as people want to bash him, especially with points that are false, people will chime in and point out the facts.

On 3/29/2018 at 9:39 AM, Looper said:

Assuming we don't get one of the big 4 QBs, are we a playoff team with A.J. ? Or are we the 2017 Browns and the #1 seed to get Drew Luck, Jacob Eason, or Jarrett Stidham next year ? 

Is it worth even using a draft pick on Rudolph or Jackson ? 

This is a very good article on him. I don't really have high expectations for him.

From the article:

McCarron completed 54 of his 83 passes (65.1 percent) over that stretch with four touchdowns and no interceptions. That may look impressive and was good enough for a 100.1 passer rating as a starter, but the problem was that the Bengals’ offense slowed to a crawl.

He averaged just 184 passing yards in those games, stalling an offense that averaged 376.9 yards in Dalton’s 13 starts. With McCarron at the helm for the final three games, Cincinnati averaged 276 yards and couldn’t top 300.

That continued into the postseason, where the Bengals lost 18-16 to the Steelers and were outgained 369 yards to 279.

Even during McCarron’s days at Alabama, he had a reputation as a game manager who leaned on a strong running game and an NFL-caliber cast around him. Hoping he can generate offense on his own and lead a team to points with his arm may be too much to ask.

https://www.sbnation.com/2018/3/13/17020272/aj-mccarron-nfl-free-agency-2018-cincinnati-bengals

People that say No have no clue what they are talking about and are engulfed in the hype of drafting a QB. McCarron did a good job filling in for Dalton when he got hurt. Why would he not be able to get the job done when he would have a full offseason preparing to be the starter? He knows how to perform under pressure, 2 college national championships. 

Im still not settled on any of these QBs in the draft or the idea of trading up to get one. I love the idea of having 6 picks in the top 100 picks. We could fill a lot of whole with starting caliber prospects. 

25 minutes ago, CountDorkula said:

This is a very good article on him. I don't really have high expectations for him.

From the article:

McCarron completed 54 of his 83 passes (65.1 percent) over that stretch with four touchdowns and no interceptions. That may look impressive and was good enough for a 100.1 passer rating as a starter, but the problem was that the Bengals’ offense slowed to a crawl.

He averaged just 184 passing yards in those games, stalling an offense that averaged 376.9 yards in Dalton’s 13 starts. With McCarron at the helm for the final three games, Cincinnati averaged 276 yards and couldn’t top 300.

That continued into the postseason, where the Bengals lost 18-16 to the Steelers and were outgained 369 yards to 279.

Even during McCarron’s days at Alabama, he had a reputation as a game manager who leaned on a strong running game and an NFL-caliber cast around him. Hoping he can generate offense on his own and lead a team to points with his arm may be too much to ask.

https://www.sbnation.com/2018/3/13/17020272/aj-mccarron-nfl-free-agency-2018-cincinnati-bengals

Perspective and context regarding his performance with a talented receiving corps. :thumbsup:

10 minutes ago, Davejr511 said:

Im still not settled on any of these QBs in the draft or the idea of trading up to get one. I love the idea of having 6 picks in the top 100 picks. We could fill a lot of whole with starting caliber prospects. 

And none of those starters would matter with Nate Peterman throwing 5 INTS a game.

How many times have the Bills tried to Build up the team to support a sub-par QB in the past 18 years?

A stout MLB is not putting you in the playoffs,  a #1 WR is not doing anything for you if he doesn't have anyone throwing him the Ball. An All-pro Guard is not doing anything if the guy he is protecting is not worth a damn.

Edited by CountDorkula

7 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

If Peterman had had a decent OL in front of him there wouldn't have been 5 interceptions.

So 3 instead of 5. The OL is not to blame for all 5. Peterman was late and timid on several throws. There should have been more INT's in that game than there actually was. 

I was all for giving Peterman the start but he showed just how unprepared, and frankly unfit for the starting QB role he was. 

1 hour ago, Sky Diver said:

TT averaged 187 yrds/game in 2017. Seems like AJ is a big upgrade and he should improve.

Not sure why so many don't want to give the guy a chance.

McCarron averaged 184 a game when he saw extended time in 2015 with an elite squad of wr's..... i'm totally for giving the dude a chance but this whole narrative that he's a big upgrade, is gonna push the ball down the field and open up the offense is literally 100% unfounded and there is no proof backing up anyone that claims it.

where are people coming up with this stuff? 

15 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

And yet the other QB managed 4 INTs in 14 starts behind the same OL.

Peterman is still with the team and TT isn't. 

6 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

McCarron averaged 184 a game when he saw extended time in 2015 with an elite squad of wr's..... i'm totally for giving the dude a chance but this whole narrative that he's a big upgrade, is gonna push the ball down the field and open up the offense is literally 100% unfounded and there is no proof backing up anyone that claims it.

where are people coming up with this stuff? 

2015 season[edit]

McCarron was named the backup quarterback to begin the season after beating out Keith Wenning and Terrelle Pryor during training camp. He played in his first preseason game on August 14, 2015, completing 11 of 15 passes for 97 yards against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.[57] He started in the final preseason game at Indianapolis and completed 15 of 28 passes for 219 yards.[58]

In Week 9, he appeared in his first career game against the Cleveland Browns.[59] On November 29, 2015, he completed his first career pass attempt for a three-yard completion against the St. Louis Rams.[60] The following week, McCarron completed 2 out of 3 passes for 19 yards against the Cleveland Browns.[61]

On December 13, 2015, starting quarterback Andy Dalton fractured the thumb on his throwing hand while trying to make a tackle in the first quarter against the Pittsburgh Steelers. Although the Steelers won 33–20, McCarron came in and completed 22 of 32 passes for 280 yards, with two touchdowns and two interceptions.[62] The following week, McCarron became the first Alabama quarterback to win an NFL game since Jeff Rutledge of the New York Giantsin 1987, when the Bengals beat the San Francisco 49ers 24–14. In his first career start he completed 15 of 29 passes and one touchdown.[63] On December 28, 2015, McCarron completed 22 of 35 passes for 200 yards and a touchdown in a 17-20 loss to the Denver Broncos.[64] On January 9, in the AFC Wild Card round, McCarron completed 23 of 41 passes for 212 yards, with one touchdown and one interception, but the Bengals lost to the Steelers, 18–16, ending their season.[65]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AJ_McCarron

56 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

Peterman is still with the team and TT isn't. 

2015 season[edit]

McCarron was named the backup quarterback to begin the season after beating out Keith Wenning and Terrelle Pryor during training camp. He played in his first preseason game on August 14, 2015, completing 11 of 15 passes for 97 yards against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.[57] He started in the final preseason game at Indianapolis and completed 15 of 28 passes for 219 yards.[58]

In Week 9, he appeared in his first career game against the Cleveland Browns.[59] On November 29, 2015, he completed his first career pass attempt for a three-yard completion against the St. Louis Rams.[60] The following week, McCarron completed 2 out of 3 passes for 19 yards against the Cleveland Browns.[61]

On December 13, 2015, starting quarterback Andy Dalton fractured the thumb on his throwing hand while trying to make a tackle in the first quarter against the Pittsburgh Steelers. Although the Steelers won 33–20, McCarron came in and completed 22 of 32 passes for 280 yards, with two touchdowns and two interceptions.[62] The following week, McCarron became the first Alabama quarterback to win an NFL game since Jeff Rutledge of the New York Giantsin 1987, when the Bengals beat the San Francisco 49ers 24–14. In his first career start he completed 15 of 29 passes and one touchdown.[63] On December 28, 2015, McCarron completed 22 of 35 passes for 200 yards and a touchdown in a 17-20 loss to the Denver Broncos.[64] On January 9, in the AFC Wild Card round, McCarron completed 23 of 41 passes for 212 yards, with one touchdown and one interception, but the Bengals lost to the Steelers, 18–16, ending their season.[65]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AJ_McCarron

is this supposed to prove you point? so in 2 of the 5 games he saw significant time in he tossed for over 200 yds(280, 212)..... along with 2 int to go with that 280.

he hopefully has improved over the last couple of years and I sincerely hope we found a gem with him but the dude has done nothing to prove he's gonna push the ball down the field or be an upgrade. its funny to me you bring up yardage in the argument as to why McCarron will be an upgrade when the guy merely managed games and most definitely wasn't slinging the ball around the yard.

30 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

McDermott and Beane signed AJ Mccarron.  I'm good with their choice 

i'm fine with it too. but lets not pretend his numbers indicate in the least that he's gonna significantly open up the pass game. 

he very well could open it up. and I hope he does. but prior performance isn't what people should use in their argument.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

i'm fine with it too. but lets not pretend his numbers indicate in the least that he's gonna significantly open up the pass game. 

he very well could open it up. and I hope he does. but prior performance isn't what people should use in their argument.

His numbers - matter as much as Tyrods numbers.   

2-1 as a starter in the regular season, 0-1 in the playoffs.  He led the Bengals to a lead late in the 4th QTR only to have 2 morons on defense get consecutive 15 yard penalties that put the Steelers in FG range and the Bungles lost by 2 points.  

6 TD's and 2 INTs.    AJ came into a game where he played after Dalton left the game with an injury and he scored 2 TD's and 2 INT's .  

closing out the 2015 regular season he scored 4 more TD's and 0 INT's   - indicating he "protected the ball" 

In the playoffs (again) against the Steelers he had 1 TD and 1 INT.  He had the lead with under 2 minutes 

1st and 10 at PIT 26

(1:36 - 4th) J.Hill right guard to PIT 20 for 6 yards (R.Shazier; J.Jones). FUMBLES (R.Shazier), RECOVERED by PIT-R.Cockrell at PIT 12. R.Cockrell to PIT 9 for -3 yards (C.Boling; A.Green). The Replay Official reviewed the fumble ruling, and the play was Upheld. The ruling on the field stands.

1st and 10 at CIN 47

(0:22 - 4th) (Shotgun) B.Roethlisberger pass incomplete deep right to A.Brown. PIT-A.Brown was injured during the play. PENALTY on CIN-V.Burfict, Unnecessary Roughness, 15 yards, enforced at CIN 47 - No Play. PENALTY on CIN-A.Jones, Unsportsmanlike Conduct, 15 yards, enforced between downs.

1st and 10 at CIN 32

(0:18 - 4th) PENALTY on CIN-A.Jones, Unsportsmanlike Conduct, 15 yards, enforced at CIN 32 - No Play.

1st and 10 at CIN 17

(0:14 - 4th) Chris Boswell 35 Yd Field Goal

7 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

His numbers - matter as much as Tyrods numbers.   

2-1 as a starter in the regular season, 0-1 in the playoffs.  He led the Bengals to a lead late in the 4th QTR only to have 2 morons on defense get consecutive 15 yard penalties that put the Steelers in FG range and the Bungles lost by 2 points.  

6 TD's and 2 INTs.    AJ came into a game where he played after Dalton left the game with an injury and he scored 2 TD's and 2 INT's .  

closing out the 2015 regular season he scored 4 more TD's and 0 INT's   - indicating he "protected the ball" 

In the playoffs (again) against the Steelers he had 1 TD and 1 INT.  He had the lead with under 2 minutes 

1st and 10 at PIT 26

(1:36 - 4th) J.Hill right guard to PIT 20 for 6 yards (R.Shazier; J.Jones). FUMBLES (R.Shazier), RECOVERED by PIT-R.Cockrell at PIT 12. R.Cockrell to PIT 9 for -3 yards (C.Boling; A.Green). The Replay Official reviewed the fumble ruling, and the play was Upheld. The ruling on the field stands.

1st and 10 at CIN 47

(0:22 - 4th) (Shotgun) B.Roethlisberger pass incomplete deep right to A.Brown. PIT-A.Brown was injured during the play. PENALTY on CIN-V.Burfict, Unnecessary Roughness, 15 yards, enforced at CIN 47 - No Play. PENALTY on CIN-A.Jones, Unsportsmanlike Conduct, 15 yards, enforced between downs.

1st and 10 at CIN 32

(0:18 - 4th) PENALTY on CIN-A.Jones, Unsportsmanlike Conduct, 15 yards, enforced at CIN 32 - No Play.

1st and 10 at CIN 17

(0:14 - 4th) Chris Boswell 35 Yd Field Goal

you are exactly right. they matter as much as taylors.....so you're telling me that games of 160, 180, 200, and 212 indicate he's gonna open up the pass game? people rushed to run the qb out of town that posted subpar numbers like that but this guy has similar numbers and is gonna be a sure upgrade that's gonna open things up? commmeeeee onnnnnnn man. 

that's just silly talk. 

and you don't have to give the play by play. I watched the game. he has a nice fourth quarter comeback on his resume. its most definitely a positive....  but they scored 16 pts..... yup. that seems like he really holds the pass game wide open when he plays. again, he might be an upgrade. he might win some games. I really hope he does. but lets not pretend that anything he's done in the past was anything other than manage games on a team that freaking LOADED.

Edited by Stank_Nasty

1 hour ago, Stank_Nasty said:

you are exactly right. they matter as much as taylors.....so you're telling me that games of 160, 180, 200, and 212 indicate he's gonna open up the pass game? people rushed to run the qb out of town that posted subpar numbers like that but this guy has similar numbers and is gonna be a sure upgrade that's gonna open things up? commmeeeee onnnnnnn man. 

that's just silly talk. 

and you don't have to give the play by play. I watched the game. he has a nice fourth quarter comeback on his resume. its most definitely a positive....  but they scored 16 pts..... yup. that seems like he really holds the pass game wide open when he plays. again, he might be an upgrade. he might win some games. I really hope he does. but lets not pretend that anything he's done in the past was anything other than manage games on a team that freaking LOADED.

to begin

•  Lets look at the situation and ponder .....  

Sophomore AJ - came in late in the season when teams are playing their best defensive schemes (or should be) 

He was playing his first NFL games.   

It could be that coaches wanted to play it "safe" and limit the game plan.  Short outs and such.  

• 2) The Steelers scored 18 to the Bengals 16.   15 prior to the two 15 yard gifts

In conclusion...  

• 3) IF the same pedestrian passing yards was good for Buffalo in 2017 then the same pedestrian passing yards should be good for Buffalo in 2018. 

• I never want to hear Make him a QB as a key to winning a game.   

Sub Note - The key to beating Blake Bortles......  Make him a QB

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

16 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

In conclusion...  

• 3) IF the same pedestrian passing yards was good for Buffalo in 2017 then the same pedestrian passing yards should be good for Buffalo in 2018. 

uh. it wasn't good for them. that's why the old qb is now gone. that's why I was ready to move on from him after 16. you just mistake my rational view of the prior qb, and me not having ridiculous takes on him or bashing him constantly, as apparently saying he was good enough. that's not the case. he wasn't good enough. he's gone.

and again.... I don't care what the circumstances were. when people say McCarron is gonna open up the pass game they literally have no evidence to back that up. its wishful thinking. the guy managed games on a loaded roster. 

if people wanna argue they think he's improved since 15 and that's why he'll be an upgrade and open the offense, that's fine...... but the bottom line is he's done nothing to prove it as of yet. can that even be argued? do you look back at 160, 180, 200, and 212 in his four starts and think "oh man, that's an upgrade. that's an upgrade on the passing attack"??? I get it. you're the whole "anyone but taylor" type of guy. but McCarron has shown nothing, outside of one 4th quarter comeback, to show he'll open anything up. if taylors numbers weren't enough for you then how on earths do mccarrons make you think he'll be an upgrade.

this isn't me writing off McCarron. I think he may have improved in the last couple of years and I think he might surprise people. but I wont pretend he's an automatic upgrade when the only sample size we have from him is very similar to what we just had. 

Edited by Stank_Nasty

11 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

uh. it wasn't good for them. that's why the qb is now gone. that's why I was ready to move on from him after 16. you just mistake my rational view of the prior qb, and me not having ridiculous takes on him or bashing him constantly, as apparently saying he was good enough. that's not the case. he wasn't good enough. he's gone.

and again.... I don't care what the circumstances were. when people say he's McCarron is gonna open up the pass game they literally have no evidence to back that up. its wishful thinking. the guy managed games on a loaded roster. 

if people wanna argue they think he's improved and that's why he'll be an upgrade and open the offense, that's fine...... but the bottom line is he's done nothing to prove it as of yet. can that even be argued? do you look back at 160, 180, 200, and 212 in his four starts and think "oh man, that's an upgrade. that's an upgrade on the passing attack"??? I get it. you're the whole "anyone but taylor" type of poster. but McCarron has shown nothing, outside of one 4th quarter comeback, to show he'll open anything up.

EFFECTIVENESS of the passing game versus the EFFICIENCY. 

Its a whole 4 games compared to 45 ish if you choose to reference TT.  

• If AJ McCarron puts up # like 164, 85, 92, 212, you know dam well I'll be in front of the line saying enough is enough. 
  • If AJ McCarron doesn't throw his receivers open, you know dam well I'll be in front of the line saying enough is enough
  • If AJ McCarron abandons the pocket too early and scrambles around for 5 seconds, you know dam well I'll be in front of the line saying enough is enough

We needed a change and one came.  Maybe this guy will satisfy Bills fans for a period.  If not Next Man Up.  

Edited by ShadyBillsFan
  • Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

I know I'm hard on Nate because of his previous performance, but I'm not convinced that he won't beat AJ for a starting spot if a talented rookie isn't added in the draft.

Its because neither of them are very good.

Just now, BuffaloHokie13 said:

It's more of a reflection of the unknown of McC than an endorsement of Nate. I generally agree with your sentiment, which is why I think our draft intentions are so incredibly apparent.

I don't believe he's that much of an unknown. 

1 minute ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

It's more of a reflection of the unknown of McC than an endorsement of Nate. I generally agree with your sentiment, which is why I think our draft intentions are so incredibly apparent.

Careful now.  26 might start to call you Mrs Peterman.  

Just now, John from Riverside said:

We honestly dont know how good AJM is.....we really dont

this is true.   We don't know if he will suck, or if he will be = to or if he will be much better.   

Trust The Process  

4 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

I don't believe he's that much of an unknown. 

4 games for AJ, your new love interest Jimmy G  7 games... 1 game - Nate sucks

How can you claim so much with so much certainty on so little?  

9 out of 10 times It takes more than a full season to evaluate the worth of a player.   

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

Just now, BuffaloHokie13 said:

4 games of mediocrity from 2 years ago isn't enough for me to make a decision one way or the other.

I went back via gamepass to watch him perform with CIN in 2015.  I've seen enough to think he's a game decent manager.  No different than looking at Garoppolo in limited action to see that his talent shine through in so many areas. 

1 minute ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

4 games of mediocrity from 2 years ago isn't enough for me to make a decision one way or the other.

so then it's wait and see for you. no one knows based off the little nfl experience but I would bet 10 to 1 he does better then the last stop gap QB. those that brought him in never would of signed him had they not felt he was going to be the better option? 

we shall see.

Just now, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

so then it's wait and see for you. no one knows based off the little nfl experience but I would bet 10 to 1 he does better then the last stop gap QB. those that brought him in never would of signed him had they not felt he was going to be the better option? 

we shall see.

Toss out some parameters. I might be interested in wagering $100 to make $1000