Contrary to Popular Belief of the "Experts"

T master

Ever since the Bills have brought in the pairing of Mc Bean they have done things totally opposite of what the fans have thought, their collective vision is something different from anything Bills fans have seen in quite sometime. When the trades started to happen of the big name players that we all thought the team were to hang their hats on like Sammy, Dareus, Glenn the posts here & else where fans & "experts" alike weren't sure the process McD talked of was the right way to do things.

In this draft all the talk surrounds the QB position (which we do need) & how the Bills are positioning them selves to go up & grab one of the top 5 listed as the best in this draft which we all know who they are because they have been slammed down our throat in almost every article we read weather here or on our favorite NFL web sights .

I am starting to think that given what we have seen from the HC & GM of the Bills they could be thinking differently than most every one else due to their short history of moves made while here.

McDermott while in Carolina saw what a gifted LB can do for the D in Kueckly & seeing as our D was one of the worst at stopping the run coupled with the loss of Preston in the middle I think this could be one of the Bills first picks in the draft this yr. if they stay at 12 or do a lessor move to say 8 which would be less costly in draft picks but more cost effective with the player chose by the move .

There are 2 LB's this year that aren't getting as much talk as the QB's but are day one starters that would make an instant impact on the Bills D for yrs to come those 2 players being Trumaine Edmunds from VT & Roquan Smith from GA which Smith while watching his highlight film looks an awful lot like Kueckly the guy is everywhere on the field always making plays .

Although Edmunds is much bigger & wreaks a ton of havoc in the back field (like another VT pass rusher the Bills took in the draft) either of these guys would be a better get at 12 rather than blowing our wodd on a QB that could wind up not being a NFL caliber QB which as we know with the draft of EJ, & Losman it can set the team back years !

Then with the second of the first round picks get their QB which would be less of a risk/reward pick & with the haul of other draft picks they have the team would be more set up for future greatness at a better cost .

I also think with Mc Beans pick up of AJ that could have been part of their collective thinking that it gives them the possible bridge QB (and flexibility)  if not a franchise guy if he is the guy he's been in his past to wait to see how things play out,  after all Aaron Rogers fell & many other HOF QB's were taken later in the draft rather than at #1 or #2.

So with all the talk around the draft & moving up, blowing out all of what they have gotten in draft picks with the "Experts" telling us what they always think will be the powers that be at One Bills Dr could have a totally different draft strategy from what we all think . 

I could be totally wrong because i'm just a fan but wanted to post a different train of thought than all this QB stuff !! 

Could this be a path taken by Mc Bean & company contrary to what the "experts" think ?? 

Edited by T master
  • Like (+1) 3

Believing that a LB is more important than QB, sounds exactly like something the Bills would do.

Spending a year trading away opportunity and talent in order to collect assets for the QB-heavy 2018 draft, and then not using them to get a top QB, sounds exactly like something the Bills would do.

Loading up on Defense and Running Game in a QB-centric, pass-happy league, sounds exactly like something the Bills would do.

If, after all this, Team McBeane go out and act like every previous regime, might as well start the billboard fund and start looking for their replacements.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 4

i would be perfectly fine if they took a d guy with 12 and rudolph at 22.  perfectly fine with me. i would prefer vita vea though.

williams /washington/star/vea    we can also kick shaq inside maybe on passing downs and have murphy on the end. we need to keep rebuilding this line 1st and foremost.  they can get good lb play in the second or trade back up. imo

If we had a legit franchise QB on our roster ( not knocking AJ but who knows about him yet ), I'd agree with you. Hell even if we had a serviceable QB at the helm I might be inclined to agree with you. However, to have worked our way into shouting distance of a potential franchise QB only to pick a LB instead would be catastrophic for not only McDermott and Beane but the Buffalo Bills as a franchise. 

15 minutes ago, T master said:

Ever since the Bills have brought in the pairing of Mc Bean they have done things totally opposite of what the fans have thought, their collective vision is something different from anything Bills fans have seen in quite sometime. When the trades started to happen of the big name players that we all thought the team were to hang their hats on like Sammy, Dareus, Glenn the posts here & else where fans & "experts" alike weren't sure the process McD talked of was the right way to do things.

In this draft all the talk surrounds the QB position (which we do need) & how the Bills are positioning them selves to go up & grab one of the top 5 listed as the best in this draft which we all know who they are because they have been slammed down our throat in almost every article we read weather here or on our favorite NFL web sights .

I am starting to think that given what we have seen from the HC & GM of the Bills they could be thinking differently than most every one else due to their short history of moves made while here.

McDermott while in Carolina saw what a gifted LB can do for the D in Kueckly & seeing as our D was one of the worst at stopping the run coupled with the loss of Preston in the middle I think this could be one of the Bills first picks in the draft this yr. if they stay at 12 or do a lessor move to say 8 which would be less costly in draft picks but more cost effective with the player chose by the move .

There are 2 LB's this year that aren't getting as much talk as the QB's but are day one starters that would make an instant impact on the Bills D for yrs to come those 2 players being Trumaine Edmunds from VT & Roquan Smith from GA which Smith while watching his highlight film looks an awful lot like Kueckly the guy is everywhere on the field always making plays .

Although Edmunds is much bigger & wreaks a ton of havoc in the back field (like another VT pass rusher the Bills took in the draft) either of these guys would be a better get at 12 rather than blowing our wodd on a QB that could wind up not being a NFL caliber QB which as we know with the draft of EJ, & Losman it can set the team back years !

Then with the second of the first round picks get their QB which would be less of a risk/reward pick & with the haul of other draft picks they have the team would be more set up for future greatness at a better cost .

I also think with Mc Beans pick up of AJ that could have been part of their collective thinking that it gives them the possible bridge QB (and flexibility)  if not a franchise guy if he is the guy he's been in his past to wait to see how things play out,  after all Aaron Rogers fell & many other HOF QB's were taken later in the draft rather than at #1 or #2.

So with all the talk around the draft & moving up, blowing out all of what they have gotten in draft picks with the "Experts" telling us what they always think will be the powers that be at One Bills Dr could have a totally different draft strategy from what we all think . 

I could be totally wrong because i'm just a fan but wanted to post a different train of thought than all this QB stuff !! 

Could this be a path taken by Mc Bean & company contrary to what the "experts" think ?? 

I agree with you to a certain extent.  I think our letting Preston walk for stones and McDermott's history of MLB use would indicate we are going after a LB in the draft.  The problem is, we also made the same type of moves VIA QB.

To me, I think we are going to stay at 12 and 22 picking MLB first and BPA QB at 22.  I'm not thrilled with the idea, but it seems to be setting up that way.  Trading up would sacrifice one of those positions for the other, unless Beane feels there's an immediate starter at either position in the later rounds after a trade.

Take Smith at 12 and them move up a few slots and take Jackson if need be.  Problem solved.

Does anyone actually think there's a huge difference between the top 6 Qbs in this draft?  are any of these guys a can't miss, Andrew Luck type?  No.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Take Smith at 12 and them move up a few slots and take Jackson if need be.  Problem solved.

Does anyone actually think there's a huge difference between the top 6 Qbs in this draft?  are any of these guys a can't miss, Andrew Luck type?  No.

How often do can’t miss QBs appear in the draft? Once every 25 years? 

• Like (+1) 1

I think they may be exploring Plan B or C options as a real direction now. Belief is 1-4, (perhaps 5-6) may not be available.

They are likely weighing one of the Top 4 dropping into this range and moveup cost vs. something like trading for Foles and keeping more picks vs. Taking Jackson somewhere after 12 and closer tp 22 etc.

16 minutes ago, Batman1876 said:

How often do can’t miss QBs appear in the draft? Once every 25 years? 

If there isn't a guy that's like that, is it worth giving up a ton of picks to get a guy that may not be any better or worse than a guy you can get at 12 or 22?

This comes down to what Beane and his staff feels about these guys.  I have said I think since the end of last season, if they see a guy they think can be the guy for the next 10-15 years, a guy they think stands out, then by all means spend the capital and get him in here.  But if not, and you think there's 4-6 guys all about the same, then either make a smaller move not costing as many picks or stand pat and get your guy at 12 or 22.

Either way, I have very little doubt they draft a QB round 1.

27 minutes ago, Virgil said:

I agree with you to a certain extent.  I think our letting Preston walk for stones and McDermott's history of MLB use would indicate we are going after a LB in the draft.  The problem is, we also made the same type of moves VIA QB.

To me, I think we are going to stay at 12 and 22 picking MLB first and BPA QB at 22.  I'm not thrilled with the idea, but it seems to be setting up that way.  Trading up would sacrifice one of those positions for the other, unless Beane feels there's an immediate starter at either position in the later rounds after a trade.

Me too.  I think they are set up to read and react.  They will know what it takes to move to 2, 4 or whatever, and if the QB they want is there, they'll do the draft day trade.  Otherwise, it's plan B - linebacker at 12, QB later. 

To me, thus far, the only thing that we, as fans, can predict for Beane and McD, is that they're unpredictable....I agree with OP in that I don't think it all shakes out in the end the way many of us think it will, but I DO think the team finds a way to acquire players, including a QB, that they believe will be much improved from last year. However, this is a 3 year rebuild....looking at last year, this year so far, and what is probably likely to happen next year, that's when you start to see the roster more fully represent what Beane and McD have envisioned for the Bills when they took their respective jobs. 

It would be very ballsy of them if they passed on a shot at one of the top QB's in the draft to take a defensive cornerstone for many years to come, but if they hit on a QB in the second round, it'll be a stroke of genius. None of these guys are really 'Can't miss". For all we really know, any one of these top signal callers could be the next Tom Brady or the next Ryan Leaf. You never know.

Edited by BmarvB

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Believing that a LB is more important than QB, sounds exactly like something the Bills would do.

Spending a year trading away opportunity and talent in order to collect assets for the QB-heavy 2018 draft, and then not using them to get a top QB, sounds exactly like something the Bills would do.

Loading up on Defense and Running Game in a QB-centric, pass-happy league, sounds exactly like something the Bills would do.

If, after all this, Team McBeane go out and act like every previous regime, might as well start the billboard fund and start looking for their replacements.

It's not a matter of who's more important.  Everyone knows the answer to that question. 

It's a matter of who can play.  Would you rather have another EJ or a Hall of Fame linebacker?  

Beane might not evaluate the available QBs as high as the talking heads do.  

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Are you considering that the team's we need to trade up to get that Qb with aren't interested in trading down? I'm not sure we can get into the top six even if they want to.