Mike Mayock:. QB draft order... Darnold, Allen, Jackson.

PIZ

14 minutes ago, JohnC said:

When Mayock talked about Rosen there was a subtle difference when comparing him to the qbs you listed. He was making the point that he was uncomfortable with his ability to protect himself. He made the comparison to Bradford in that he is vulnerable to getting hit with regularity and being more prone to being injured. Marino rarely ran yet he quickly got rid of the ball. 

There were a variety of reasons why RG III failed, at least so far. One of the main reasons is that he didn't know how to protect himself. He had to be taught how to slide and go down. He too often made decisions of extending plays and refusing to go down, run out of bounds or simply throw it away. These were issues of judgment on the field. 

I consider Rosen the most polished passer in this draft class. I would be ecstatic if the Bills were able to select him. But that is not to say that Mayock's point of view is without merit or consideration. 

Don't want Rosen - one head hit away from being out of football and a spoiled entitled SoCal attitude in a blue collar town. 

13 hours ago, Boatdrinks said:

It's what I dislike about Rosen the most. Statuesque. 

13 hours ago, Logic said:

Peyton Manning, Dan Marino, and Tom Brady are three of the least athletic, most "statuesque" passers I can ever remember. 

Rosen is a pocket passer in the truest sense of the word. That's not a bad thing.  His movements in the pocket are magnificent.  Tiny little have steps and minor movements to avoid pressure.  He is just like Brady in that regard.

13 hours ago, kdiggz said:

They said that about Brady too and Rosen is 10x the athlete Brady is. Would have been a pro tennis player if he wanted

Rosen reminds me of Brady and Matt Ryan.  His game is just like those two.  Has anyone ever complained about their athletic ability?

13 hours ago, Boatdrinks said:

Marino had an unbelievably quick release, even with his " all over the place" mechanics. Brady is slow , but has worked on it and improved throughout his career. It's not that I think  Rosen doesn't have a chance to be successful in the NFL. He does It's just the part of his game i dislike the most. Compared to the highly rated QBs in this draft, hes not very mobile. The discussion was about Rosen, not other QBs that lacked mobility. 

Fwiw Rosens 40 time was comparable to Mayfield's and Darnold.  In that 4.8 range.  His short shuttle was identical to Mayfield's and better than both Darnold and Allen.  His broad jump and vertical jump were second only to Allen.  His 3 cone was last among the 4 but still only 0.09 slower than Mayfield.  

I think it's a misconception that he is a worse athlete than the other top 4.  His number are very similar.  It's only Allen that seems to out perform the other 3 and that is near negligible.  

Just because Rosen is great in the pocket, so much so that he doesn't need to run and scramble... Doesn't mean he isn't mobile.

13 hours ago, Logic said:

Peyton Manning, Dan Marino, and Tom Brady are three of the least athletic, most "statuesque" passers I can ever remember. 

Yet those guys were never injured. Those guys are not statuesque. They could move in the pocket. They could get rid of the ball at just the right time. Drew Bledsoe was statuesque. That's not what we want. 

13 hours ago, Augie said:

Concussions with Rosen scare me more than a little. The film looks good, Rich Eisen interview was nice, but two concussions just last year? Injuries happen, but concussions are at another level for me. 

Yes, I fear that one more concussion for him and he'll be Kevin Kolb 2.0

13 hours ago, kdiggz said:

They said that about Brady too and Rosen is 10x the athlete Brady is. Would have been a pro tennis player if he wanted

Yah just like a Rod Steward would have been a soccer player if he wanted.

5 hours ago, LittleJoeCartwright said:

NFL.com does a great job of providing rating grades and analysis of all of the draft prospects.  The grades are on a scale of 10 and Darnold was given a grade of 7.0.  To put that in perspective, their legend shows that a grade between 7.00 and 7.49 classifies a player as "Pro Bowl to All-Pro Ability".   His NFL comparison is Andrew Luck.

The grades for the other top QBs and their comparisons are as follows:

Rosen- 6.1, comp- Trent Green

Mayfield- 6.0, Doug Flutie 

J.Allen- 6.0, Locker

L.Jackson- 5.9, M.Vick

Grades between 6.0 and 6.49 are noted as "Chance to become good NFL starter".

Comparing Darnold's grade of 7.0 to other position players, only 4 players (Barkley, Nelson, Chubb and Edmunds) were given a higher grade with Barkley the highest at 7.4

So, the NFL.com analysis supports the position that Darnold is probably the only QB that should be taken in the first few picks, and to me, the only one worth the Bills trading a king's ransom to move up for.

Thanks for this post.  This should a topic of it's own.

13 hours ago, jr1 said:

he comes from a wealthy family. He doesn't have the financial urgency to keep playing if he gets more concussions 

Such bull crap. You realize that ALL NFL starting caliber players are super wealthy, right?

3 minutes ago, MJS said:

Such bull crap. You realize that ALL NFL starting caliber players are super wealthy, right?

So say a 3rd round pick is a starter in the NFL. He's in year 2 of his rookie contract. Is he " super wealthy"?

2 hours ago, Putin said:

Yah just like a Rod Steward would have been a soccer player if he wanted.

Not sure if you are being serious but Rosen was ranked top 10 in the US as a tennis player and had to choose between turning pro in tennis or going to high school and playing football

1 minute ago, kdiggz said:

Not sure if you are being serious but Rosen was ranked top 10 in the US as a tennis player and had to choose between turning pro in tennis or going to high school and playing football

No I was being serious, I’m not sure if Rod Steward was when he said if his music career didn’t work out he would and up playing

( soccer= football)  for Manchester United. 

Sorry Rod Stewart ( with a T ) 

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Logic said:

Except thats not a true statement.  In fact, Brady is easily the most pocket mobile QB in the NFL and Manning was right behind him.  Being able to run fast is not in anyway shape or form an indicator of pocket mobility.  Brady and Manning were two of the best ever of moving their feet and shifting inside the pocket to avoid big hits, the pressure etc.  40 yard dash times have no relevance in this scenario.  

Rosen takes a lot of hits and also his body hasn't held up either.  I have real "Bradford" concerns about Rosen in the NFL.  He struggled to stay healthy in college...in the pros they are bigger and faster every week of the season then even his toughest game in college.  If Rosen cant stay on the field, he cant help the Bills.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 1

I think the difference between what Rosen has played like so far, and the Bradford comparison, and the talk of statuesque, is different from guys like Brady and Manning in one important way. 

Brady and Manning have a great ability to “negotiate the pocket”, stepping up, or right or left at the correct moment to give their blockers a better angle, or make the angle more difficult for the Rusher. 

Bledsoe was the same in that regard. He would just stand there and stare down the field, but would never step up or to the side or back at the right moment to help extend the play. 

Its not about mobility as much as it is about timing and angles.

6 hours ago, PIZ said:

Thanks for this post.  This should a topic of it's own.

I thought about it but could already hear members mumbling about more threads.

Then I see these dumb threads being started like "Was signing Billy Joe Hobert a mistake?".